What's new

Schick Hydro 3 and 5

Jobol:

The $40.00 + was the price for 16 cartridges since they do not carry the 4 cartridge packages at this particular Costco. They carry other carts. but also only in the large economy (?) sized packages.

Don

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Update:

I just shaved again tonight with the same cartridge that I last posted about in October. It probably has about a dozen shaves on it and it is performing about the same as when I first started with it. The bad first shave was probably due to absolutely no prep at all. All the other shaves where with at least minimal prep.

This 4 cart pack, which I got for under $8, will easily last me a year or more at this rate, as I still use my DE for most shaves. I gave the Hydro a few more runs than normal because I wanted to see how it would perform.

I got Hydro5 and Hydro3.

I am in *love* with the Hydro5 so far. Beats Proglide by a mile. I liked it so much I gave away my Progile razor and 5 cartridges to my dad.

Next I will try the Hydro3.

I have tried to use this razor many times and I still don't really like it. Call me an odd duck but as carts go I am getting better shaves with my Trac II and Atra. I did like the Hydro 3 better than the 5 and it's better than the ProGlide IMHO. Now if Schick would market a newer single blade cart that would be something.

I have tried to use this razor many times and I still don't really like it. Call me an odd duck but as carts go I am getting better shaves with my Trac II and Atra. I did like the Hydro 3 better than the 5 and it's better than the ProGlide IMHO. Now if Schick would market a newer single blade cart that would be something.

Don't get me wrong. It still doesn't beat my Futur, Slim or Tech, but as far as cartridges are concerned, I found my perfect match :) (and I tried every cartridge system under the sun)

Just tried the Hydro 3 for the first time this morning and loved it. Much better than the Mach 3 or ProGlide. After reading some of the posts here, I didn't think I needed pre-shave oil, and I'm glad I didn't use it. The cart is super-slick, I barely need my high-end lather. For those who use the Hydro, what have you grown accustomed to using with it as far as soap/ cream? I figured a can of Barbasol might be plenty.

I find that when I compared the Schick Hydro to the Mach 3 and any version of the Fusion, I always had a better shave with the Schick.

I got the shick hydro for free with a coupon at cvs, i had the choice of getting the 3 blade or five so i got the five. I was amazed by how well this razor worked but i didnt think five blades were needed. So i bought the hydro 3 blades which did fit on the handle and give just as good a shave. The cartridges are only about 8 bucks and alot of places have them buy one get one free. Its worth a shot to try it out. Also the handle is extremely well designed for comfort and grip in your hand.

I just used the SH3 today for the first time and had a great shave. No tugging, pulling just a very smooth close comfortable shave.

I've had a cart that lasted me 5 weeks becuase the lube strip just kept on going...but recently I had one that expired after 4 shaves. The gel retracted into the plastic housing to the extent that even if I leave it in warm water for a while for it to soak up and expand it would still not provide that great lube.

what I have noticed is that in some cases, the gel will get "caught" and deform around the cart so that when it dries it will not retract into the housing as much. In these cases I was able ot eek out many more shaves with it.

In some cases however, it dries and shrinks completely into the housing. Those ones don't last nearly as long. the blades are still sharp though, so I just use a slicker cream than the normal foam that I use with the Hydro.

Hydro still rules over the M3 and Fusion though, for a quick shave.

I tried a Mach3 awhile back to compare to my straights and DE..the BIGGEST thing I found was...these damn things have strips on em...I have oily skin..so..it made things more annoying...oily skin+lube strip+aftershave..ugh..
straight razors remove the very thin layer of skin on the surface..hence making my aftershaves a better "feel" when applied..makes sense to me...
but the idea of wetshaving makes things more enjoyable...less of a "chore"..

I have tried to use this razor many times and I still don't really like it. Call me an odd duck but as carts go I am getting better shaves with my Trac II and Atra. ....

Same here, except that I only tried it twice. I don't like it much. It's ooey and gooey and it tugs just like a Mach3. The Trac II with cheap Wilky cartridges is better, IMO. Better still is the Gillette Guard.

Top Bottom