What's new

Scents you love or hate!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Can't really think of any I "hate". Some just don't work for me as a shaving soap. Fore example, I really like evergreen and mint scents in general, but not on my face. Patchouli reminds me of the unwashed Deadheads I went to school with years ago and that isn't a memory I care to bring up.
+1. I'm offended by patchouli for this same reason. [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

One thing I've learned in my short wetshaving time, is that I shouldn't judge a soap until I lather it up and spread it around on my face. Midnight Stag is pretty awful smelling in the jar, but when it's lathered, it really opens up and doesn't smell as concentrated - I love it. With Night Music, if I had smelled it in the jar first, I probably wouldn't have ordered it, but the first time I used it, along with the aftershave, I was amazed. I definitely hope that Will keeps Night Music in his production rotation, as I will be wanting more whenever mine runs out.

I had a similar reaction to Sherlock as one of the previous posters. The first time I smelled my sample, I didn't think I would use it, but once lathered, it became something different, and more pleasant.

That's one thing that's so great about all the artisans and shaving soap manufacturers - there is truly something for everyone out there.

I like pretty much anything, except for the following:

Taylor of Old Bond Street Grapefruit - The last time I used it I kept looking over my shoulder to see if my dog had thrown up.

Boellis 1924 Chiaia 9 - Smells like Desitin rash ointment.

Meissner Tremonia Strong and Scottish - Smells like a barbecue pit that needs cleaning.

Castle Forbes Sandalwood - It smells like a lumberyard.

I'm trying to think of scents that I dislike - Fine's American Blend is probably the top of the list. I like the smell of Old Spice for about three seconds - as long as it's not on me it's fine.

I really like the WSP Mahogany scent - I could sniff that for ages. However, I don't want to smell like it for the rest of the day either. I like milder scents, or ones that tend to blend into the background and aren't in your face. AoS's Lavender is another scent I really like - I just wish the performance of the soap was up to par with the fragrance.

Strangely Proraso Red soap - for the first few shaves of a tub, or if you haven't used it in a while smells like mold to me. However, once it's been used once it transforms into something wonderful. But that first time - ugh.

Not a fan of anything lavender. The only one I can really say that I hated though, was that bacon soap that was in the passaround. That was just.... well, not good.

I really like sandalwood scents, and I've grown to really like CC's bay rum and his lime. I have a Mystic Waters orange vanilla that I really like as well.

Like others have said, I find a strong patchouli to be borderline revolting.

Not in the hate it category and I know it's near blasphemy, but I dislike the scent of sandalwood.

The "ocean" kinds of scents have in general been a HUGE disappointment, save a couple like T&F 1805 or Mickey Lee's The Kraken. Anything else I've tried has smelled like either watermelon (from the calone) or guava...

Vetiver scents are sort of an acquired taste kind of thing for me. It sort of depends usually on how it's being used for it to work with me. Absolutely miss the Stirling Port-Au-Prince version with the French clay. Only had a sample, but man that was good. By the time I finished and went to order a full puck ... gone! All gone and not to return :-(

The fougeres are typically too lavender based. I don't smell lavender when I walk in a forest and smell a fern. Occasionally, muguet or lily of the valley can surface ... but not lavender. When is someone going to do a muguet/lily of the valley, coumarin/tonka bean, and oakmoss version of a fougere?

Liking the L&L Grooming Trismegistus scent at the moment...

I'm big on citrus and most floral scents. Others aren't bad but I'm in no rush to jump on them. The only one I can say that I don't like would have to be CFG Pine Tar. Just not a fan.

Wilkinson Sword soap, in the blue bowl. Most times I like it, but on some days it just smells like an institutional floor cleaner. Then the next day I like it again.
proxy.php

Gillette Sensitive Skin Aftershave Lotion is similar to the WS soap.
In non-soap product scents, I really dislike Aqua Velva Blue Ice. Too insipid, or something.

My favourite soap scent is First Canadian's "Barbershop Taper Fade". Their Bay Rum & Lime is nice too, with a bit more lime than most brands.

Favourite AS scents are Old Spice Classic, Brut, and Mennen Skin Bracer. MSB is nudging the other two out for first place. Fortunately they're all cheap and easy to find locally.

Last edited:
Love:
MdC Fougere
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny, Savannah Sunrise, Hydra
Tallow & Steel Grog, Rainforest
Castle Forbes Lavender

Dislike:
Tabac--great performance though
Anything powdery
Italian Barber Fresco Verde
Marzipan scents

I love clean, simple "soapy" scents like Bea, De Vergulde Hand, La Toja, Lea, Palmolive and Williams

I like the subtle Menthol and Sandalwood scents of Proraso White, Green and Red Soaps

I like the lemon scent of Arko and Derby, but as a rule I'm not a big fan of strong citrus scents - Lider Classic, and Goldex shaving creams being the worst culprits

I like the butterscotch/fudge/honey scent of Blue's Soap Goat Milk And Animal Fats From New Zealand

I quite like the clinical, lavendery scent of Godrej Shaving Rounds, an unusual, but at the same time inoffensive scent

I only tried using 2 strongly scented soaps - and learned my lesson with both....
I quite like the idea of soaps with different and distinct scents, but strongly scented soaps definitely don't like me.....

The 1st was Monsavon Bol A Raser - the strong, chemically, lavender scent played hell with my sinuses (more about that later) early in the morning, and whenever I tried using it in the afternoon or evening, although it didn't affect my sinuses, but I still found the scent to be very cloying and sickly - the loose fitting lid on the container partly caused all the goodness to evaporate out and the puck shrunk to half it's size - I threw it away and was glad to see the back of it

The 2nd one, Tabac Original is the exception to my rule about strongly scented soaps, I can't use Tabac early in the morning without sneezing repeatedly and uncontrollably (20+ sneezes in quick succession is my record)
As a result, I only use Tabac on the rare occasions that I'm shaving in the afternoon or early evening ready to go out at night - a pity because I like the scent of Tabac, and like the idea of heavily scented soaps, but I daren't try using any new ones - I'm sure my sinuses will thank me in the long run !!

I am not a big fan of aquatic scents. I am still trying to find a lavender I really like. Although I like the performance of Arko, that urinal puck smell - well, I'm glad it does not last.

Soaps that I love the scent of:
Tabac
La Toja
Route 66 Bourbon Jungle
TOBS Sandalwood
TOBS Eaton College
Stirling Barbershop
Stirling Sandalwood
RazoRock Tobacco

I love tobacco, woods, spice, barbershops, leather, etc. I like my scents strong as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Another scent that I am just not that big of a fan of by itself is Vanilla. If it is with something else like Vanilla Sandalwood I am fine. I just don't really care for it solo.

Another scent that I am just not that big of a fan of by itself is Vanilla. If it is with something else like Vanilla Sandalwood I am fine. I just don't really care for it solo.
I have a sandalwood vanilla by Mystic Waters and it is a great scent!

Top Bottom