What's new

Scents you love or hate!

Let me know scents you love and scent you hate!

I'm not a big fan of florals

I really enjoy the clean fresh scents, green scents, and barbershop

I seriously love dark earthy scents. Anything Sandalwood and any variation thereof. I honestly can't think of anything that I really hate. I am not a huge fan of some floral scents, but I think some can be nice and at the right time most are good. Scents that are overly sweet I guess I can say I hate. I know it's not a soap scent but Avon's Wild Country almost nauseates me it is so sweet.

I agree Don anything too sweet is hard to use.

I forgot to mention I love citrus. Anything lime, lemon, etc. I have to be careful because I'm allergic to oranges, so I'm always nervous when trying a soap with orange in it.

:thumbdown Florals. Straight rose and lilac especially. Smells like a funeral home to me. There are some cologne scents that include those as components that I like, but not straight floral.

I like clean, citrus and woody scents. Lavender, lime, sandalwood, oud, patchouli etc. I like several barbershop scents. I love lots of vetiver colongny scents but I can't stand straight vetiver that smells like wet dirt - at least in a product I'm going to smear on my face.

So far my favourite scent has been the D.R. Harris Marlborough cream which to me is a forest ferny kind of smell. I hated the Razorock Zi Peppino Green Tobacco croap scent so much (smelled like a wax based wood polish to me) that I binned it.

I love warm sweet scents like Mamabear's Spellbound Woods or Passion by Soap Commander. I also love crisp limey and orangy scents like RazoRock Essential Oil of Lime. Lastly, I love classic manly and barbershop scents.

I hate the smell of Pre de Provence. I think it smells like a urinal cake. I also can't stand artificial 'Lysol' type scents. Derby Lemon smells like a bathroom cleaner, for example (I mask it by superlatheting with RR lime).

I love warm sweet scents like Mamabear's Spellbound Woods or Passion by Soap Commander. I also love crisp limey and orangy scents like RazoRock Essential Oil of Lime. Lastly, I love classic manly and barbershop scents.

I hate the smell of Pre de Provence. I think it smells like a urinal cake. I also can't stand artificial 'Lysol' type scents. Derby Lemon smells like a bathroom cleaner, for example (I mask it by superlatheting with RR lime).

Oh I like the warm scents too! One my favorites is the PDP No 63

Can't really think of any I "hate". Some just don't work for me as a shaving soap. Fore example, I really like evergreen and mint scents in general, but not on my face. Patchouli reminds me of the unwashed Deadheads I went to school with years ago and that isn't a memory I care to bring up.

I have not met a scent I hate. I like strong scents. Not a fan of subtle, but I don't dislike the scents, i just want to smell it easily.

I did not like Chiseled Face Sherlock one bit. I freaking love Stirling's Barbershop and PAA's Clubguy. On the darker side, I love B&M's Baudelaire.

Love? Pretty much anything except what i can't abide (hate is such a strong word!)

Can't abide - sandalwood or any of the woody stuff. Just smells like a rotting log to me.

YMMV!!

Can't really think of any I hate. Some just don't work for me as a shaving soap. Fore example, I really like evergreen and mint scents in general, but not on my face. "Patchouli" reminds me of the unwashed Deadheads I went to school with years ago and that isn't a memory I care to bring up.

Funny how everyone's nose is different. I am not a big fan of mint especially if it is by itself.

XPEC original leaves everything else in the dust, even B&M Roam, and Arko. Awful.

What is about B&M Roam? I have been thinking about looking into that soap.

I did not like Chiseled Face Sherlock one bit. I freaking love Stirling's Barbershop and PAA's Clubguy. On the darker side, I love B&M's Baudelaire.

You totally reminded me of Chiseled Face Summer Storm! Hated that scent! It left the den as quickly as it entered!

I get along with most scents, but I find that I'm pretty "seasonal" with things. I want the heavy "woodsy" scents, or more dark and complicated scents in the winter. The summer time is nice for the bright mints and citrusy notes, and the icy menthols (of course that is more for feel than smell, naturally).
Depending on complexity, I could probably do a floral scent of some sort just about year 'round. (When I was a young man, if you'd have told me that I'd grow to really love lavender and other florals, I would have said that you were nuts.)

And, at the end of the day, a plain, old-fashioned, clean, soap smell is always "safe", no matter what time of year. I don't think you can go too far wrong just smelling like plain soap.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I've always been partial to the classic scents, the ones you could use every day like lavenders, roses, almonds, fougeres, just plain soapys....

The ones I tend to dislike are the heavier or complex scents that are also not particularly well done. This is my main complaint with many American and Canadian artisan soaps, they're not perfumers and making a complex fragrance work like a Penhaligon's or Creed has not worked for them yet IMO.

Cheers, Steve

I refuse anything floral. Just not my thing. I love soaps that are woodsy or outdoorsy. For example, I like sandalwood, cedarwood, and pine scents. And strong scents are preferable.

My favourite scents are mostly classical british fragrances. Arlington, Windsor, also TOBS Jermyn Street and Eaton are favourites of mine. Then cytrus... grapefruit, orange, lime, you name it, sometimes with a mentholated twist.
I dislike soapy scents in general, florals like rose, patchouly or lavender and not a big fan of sandalwood and coconut too.
What i really hate is almond. No almond for me please! And Arko! I didn't even lathered it, it went straight to the bin.

Love: florals, especially rose, Wm. Neumann Heartwood, Stirling Coniferous, and the Shady Past aftershave from Folsom -- wish that one was still around.

Hate: all three Chiseled Face aftershaves I've tried (Sherlock, Ghost Town Barber, Summer Storm). The Cella scent is by far the worst of all; absolutely nauseating.

Summer Storm was rather like standing halfway between the fragrance and luggage departments in a 70s-era JCPenney--an overwhelming melange of disparate perfumes with an undertone of leather.

Top Bottom