What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, March 2017: The Fatip

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think the Fatip Grande gives a nice, two pass shave. It just seems to mow my whiskers right down. Some say it's aggressive. I say it's efficient and requires attention to detail. I've gotten some great, irritation free shaves from it!

@troy, thanks for your post!

Adam

Thanks Adam' but the blade isn't even half done yet. I usually get 30-35 head, cheeks, and neck shaves from a SP. Right now I'm only shaving my head and a little cleanup around the beard lines. So I wouldn't be surprised if it went into the 40s.

Thanks Adam' but the blade isn't even half done yet. I usually get 30-35 head, cheeks, and neck shaves from a SP. Right now I'm only shaving my head and a little cleanup around the beard lines. So I wouldn't be surprised if it went into the 40s.

Dear troy;

40? I am amazed. And now i am thinking that my hair must be really hard. Somewhere during my second shave i can detect performance degradation. Sometimes i go for three. Never four.

I am referring to the same razor and the same blade!

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear troy;

40? I am amazed. And now i am thinking that my hair must be really hard. Somewhere during my second shave i can detect performance degradation. Sometimes i go for three. Never four.

I am referring to the same razor and the same blade!

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I first started toss between 2-4, one day I realized I had just went to 6 and the blade still felt great. I took that one to 12. There are lots of guys who get high numbers, a few even go into the triple digits (face shaves anyway).
For more info check out this thread. Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

KeenDogg

When I first started toss between 2-4, one day I realized I had just went to 6 and the blade still felt great. I took that one to 12. There are lots of guys who get high numbers, a few even go into the triple digits (face shaves anyway).
For more info check out this thread. Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector
I gotta spend more time in the excalibur club! [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Last night's shave:

Ringelblumen, Custom Silvertip, Boar Scuttle, Luck Tiger, and Gillette Platinum(2).

Happy Shaving, gents!

Attachments

• 20170317_172631.jpg
    20170317_172631.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13

KeenDogg

Love the looks of the brush, and the boar scuttle is extra cool! [emoji106]1:
Thank you, Troy! Had the brush for a little while, it's Burl/Alumite resin(which sparkles). The scuttle is a new addition. It's from Bavaria(Germany), not sure the exact date yet. It was made by Moschendorf, in the city of Hof.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Tonight's shave:

Four days growth
Ringelblumen, Custom Semogue made by a great guy, Fatip Grande with a fresh GSB, Old Spice EG 06, and some good ole Lucky Tiger!

This razor never let's me down. Always consistently good shaves. I've used it with the Feather, GSB, and the Gillette Platinum. All great shaves! I find you really have to watch the angle on this on or it will get you. Some find the Grande handle slippery, but I don't mind it at all. I just wish I had other Fatip razors to compare it too! What do you guys have as far as Fatip razors go? Let's see em!

Thanks to @imatabor and @cvargo for your posts!

Have a great night!
Adam
1490148129221-36387250.jpg

I

I loaded a Gillette Nacet (3) in my Piccolo this morning. And was rewarded with a fantastic DFS shave. I could have gone for BBS put wasn't feeling it this morning.

The Fatip Piccolo is a fantastic razor that trades in comfort for aggressiveness in my opinion. This razor will never be as comfortable as a Gillette Slim and never be in the same ballpark as my Timeless, but it works. And it's a great way to enter the open comb arena, get a quality made razor at a decent price.

I haven't used mine in quite awhile but I'm glad I finally heard of this thread and got to use this wonderful razor again. I'll try to get at minimum two more shaves with it during the rest of the month.

IMG_20170321_173827.jpg

I think I originally passed on this razor merely because of the price point thinking there is no way it could be a quality razor that is possible of a quality shave!! I couldn't have been more wrong!! I have been enjoying my Piccolo over the last few weeks. I actually sold an R41 head and replaced it with this and so far I think it was a very wise choice. I have had some very close DFS's with it so far and I'm thinking this one is a keeper to the weekly rotation. I hay even at some point pick up the Grande to try out a bigger handle as so far that is the weakest part of the razor that I have found so far. I am not insinuating weak as in a non quality aspect but in a shave aspect. I find that with the vertical lines on it, it tends to be a little slippery when rinsing a shaking off excess water. I am much more careful with it since I almost broke the sink during the 1st use with it and try to stay aware that something could happen... Loving the razor though and it, I'm sure, will be a surprised treasure in my rotation for a long time to come.

I have been testing one of the pass around razors for the last couple days otherwise I'd have been using my Piccolo... Can't wait till taler in the week to come to get back to it.

I'm thinking by the low response to this thread that FaTip products aren't as popular as they should be or maybe the thread title should've had FaTip in it... I can't believe there aren't more people using these great razors.

I have been testing one of the pass around razors for the last couple days otherwise I'd have been using my Piccolo... Can't wait till taler in the week to come to get back to it.

I'm thinking by the low response to this thread that FaTip products aren't as popular as they should be or maybe the thread title should've had FaTip in it... I can't believe there aren't more people using these great razors.

I used a Piccollo earlier this month for a week as part of the passaround, but all my posts were on that thread. I concur that it's a great razor. Quality, price, performance. Definitely my recommendation for any non-newbie who's looking for their next modern DE.

KeenDogg

Piccolo Astra SP (20)
Whipped Dog Synth
WSP Tobacco

Great Shave today, very close to BBS! :thumbup1:View attachment 777463
Very nice, Troy!
I loaded a Gillette Nacet (3) in my Piccolo this morning. And was rewarded with a fantastic DFS shave. I could have gone for BBS put wasn't feeling it this morning.

The Fatip Piccolo is a fantastic razor that trades in comfort for aggressiveness in my opinion. This razor will never be as comfortable as a Gillette Slim and never be in the same ballpark as my Timeless, but it works. And it's a great way to enter the open comb arena, get a quality made razor at a decent price.

I haven't used mine in quite awhile but I'm glad I finally heard of this thread and got to use this wonderful razor again. I'll try to get at minimum two more shaves with it during the rest of the month.

View attachment 777469
Thanks, Chad. I say your opinions are spot on!
I'm using a different razor for Four For March, but I sure do miss my Piccolo!
View attachment 777488 :001_wub:
Raven, have you tried the Grande handle as well? I haven't tried the piccolo so I'm not sure which I would prefer.
I think I originally passed on this razor merely because of the price point thinking there is no way it could be a quality razor that is possible of a quality shave!! I couldn't have been more wrong!! I have been enjoying my Piccolo over the last few weeks. I actually sold an R41 head and replaced it with this and so far I think it was a very wise choice. I have had some very close DFS's with it so far and I'm thinking this one is a keeper to the weekly rotation. I hay even at some point pick up the Grande to try out a bigger handle as so far that is the weakest part of the razor that I have found so far. I am not insinuating weak as in a non quality aspect but in a shave aspect. I find that with the vertical lines on it, it tends to be a little slippery when rinsing a shaking off excess water. I am much more careful with it since I almost broke the sink during the 1st use with it and try to stay aware that something could happen... Loving the razor though and it, I'm sure, will be a surprised treasure in my rotation for a long time to come.
I like the Grande handle. It does tend to get slippery. A touch of Alum on the fingers fixes that right up. Yes, I think it's a great razor especially at it it price point.

Thanks so much guys!

Kindly,
Adam

KeenDogg

I think you may be right! I needed to put the name in the title. Thank you!

Razor of the month!! Way to go, Adam.. Mine is the Grande, but I may need to try the Piccolo at some point. Like heavier stuff in general.. Will try to get a few more shaves in with this beauty before the month ends..
Best,
TT

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom