What's new

The Underrated Fatip Blades (review)

I was browsing some pages on this forum and I found out about the Fatip Gentile razor, so of course I had to order this razor. Long story short the lazy FedEx courier messed it up and they send the razor back to the store, I decided to order it from an another store this store also sells the Fatip blades so I bought a pack of 10 blades. Two days later I received it... the next day the FedEx courier showed up at my doorstep with the razor I had ordered from the previous store. I ended up with two Fatip Gentle Razors. I decided to give one to a young coworker of mine who shaves with a shavette. He really fell in love with it.

So here I am with my new razor and new blades, blades I never have tested before. I admit the Fatip blades are expensive. I couldn't find much information about them. I found some information on the internet about some vendors refusing to stock them because they're expensive. This makes no sense to me because the Feathers are also expensive. 200 Fatip blades go for 62 euro, 200 Feather blades go for 64 euro. The price of the Feather blades can really differ between the vendors. I got the 10 Fatip blades for 3,95.

1704590841288.jpeg

1704590821838.jpeg

They're ice tempered and made in Europe but last time I checked, EU is a continent not a country. My guess is they're probably made in Germany? But some vendors claim they're made in Italy.

My idea was to use one blade 3 times in the Fatip Gentile and 3 times in the Fatip Open Comb (v1), after using this blade 6 times it will be so dull that I will toss it... that is what I thought but I was wrong. After 6 shaves this blade was still performing as it was new, my thick curly beard is no match for this blade. Let's start with the review:

1st shave: when I received the Fatip Gentile and the Fatip blades I didn't shave for 3 days. PERFECT! Here is the setup I used:

1704590900309.jpeg

Days of growth: 3 days
Pre shave: A hot shower
Razor: Fatip Gentile
Blade: Fatip (1)
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Proraso Green AS
Brush: Semogue 820

Pass 1: WTG - I quickly made the lather in my bowl and applied it on my face. I was so amazed how smooth this blade and razor are, it felt like the razor wasn't shaving at all. I would say that the Fatip has the smoothness of the Astra SP and the sharpness of the Feather blade. I was surprised that this blade is this good, I didn't expect this at all.

Pass 2: XTG - I didn't have any issues at all, no nicks no cuts the XTG pass went fine.

Pass 3: ATG - The final pass, I really enjoyed this shave. This razor and blade are super mild, I would recommend this combo to any beginner. It seemed like it was actually impossible to cut yourself. I done the ATG and I noticed that I needed to do some touch ups. This is very normal with a mild razor on my beard type. After I was done I rinsed my face with cold water and applied the Green Proraso aftershave. I got a full BBS and my face felt so freaking smooth and soft. To be honest I thought the Fatip blade would be a bad blade but I was wrong. But how many shaves would it take before it becomes dull?

2nd shave: I couldn't wait to shave, I used the Fatip Gentile with the same blade. This time I decided to use the Red Cella shaving soap and the Red Cella AS.

1704590938058.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (2)
Soap: Cella Red
Aftershave: Cella Red AS

Pass 1: WTG - I had no idea what to expect today, maybe this blade has become so dull it will ruin my face? Nope. I was wrong again. The blade felt just as new. I didn't notice a difference, the shave went super smooth and fine. I had no nicks, no razor burns; it was the perfect shave.

Pass 2: XTG - Just like the previous time, everything went fine. I'm surprised how great this blade was, I really didn't feel a difference. IMHO this is a sign of a great blade.

Pass 3: ATG - I had no issues on this pass, this combination of the blade and razor are a great combination. The Fatip Gentile is so mild I was convinced that it's impossible to mess up. I had to do some touch ups because the Fatip Gentile isn't aggressive enough for my beard type. I had a full BBS which (for me) is the PERFECT shave. The Cella Red AS doesn't smell like the soap, it reminds me like some cheap 90s Italian cologne, but in a good way. I don't faceturbate a lot but after I was done with this shave I couldn't stop touching myself! (it felt just so good).

3rd shave: It was time to shave again, usually I get 3 shaves out of a Astra SP. Can I get a 3rd shave out of the Fatip blade? If yes, how will it perform? This time I decided to use the Palmolive shaving cream, it's a cheap shaving cream but a solid performer. My dad used this shaving soap since the day I can remember.

1704590988210.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (3)
Soap: Palmolive Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Red AS

Pass 1: WTG - After the hot shower I made the lather in by bowl and applied the lather on my face. I started with the *** pass, just like the previous shave the blade felt as if it was new. There was no tugging at all. The shave went super smooth. It shaves much better than the Astra SP on the 3rd shave IMHO.

Pass 2: XTG - The blade was still super sharp and it had no issues cutting down those whiskers of mine. I had no issues with this pass. After I was done with the XTG it was time for the ATG.

Pass 3: ATG - This is usually when the magic happens the: BBS. The ATG went smooth and fine, no issues here. I had to do some touch ups which is rare because I usually use aggressive razors. It was no big deal because I still got a full BBS. At this point I was surprised on the performance of this blade, after 3 shaves it still shaved as if it was a new blade fresh out of the box.

4rd shave: Now it was time to use a different razor, it was time for the Fatip Open Comb Piccolo. This razor is my favorite razor, it's aggressive but smooth. I took a hot shower and loaded the Fatip OC with the Fatip blade. I had no idea what I could expect, maybe this time it was the time to replace the blade?

1704591062199.jpeg

Razor: Fatip OC Piccolo
Blade: Fatip (4)
Soap: Cella Green
Aftershave: Cella Green AS

Pass 1: WTG - This blade performs much better in the Fatip Open Comb! It was cutting those whiskers as if it was nothing. At this point this blade still performed as if it was a new fresh blade. It seems like this blade is super sharp and doesn't become dull quickly unlike some other blades I used.

Pass 2: XTG - After I was done with this pass I already had a BBS on my cheeks and jawline, but this isn't enough I still have to do an ATG. At this point: no nicks, no razor burns it was just perfect.

Pass 3: ATG - There was nothing to shave on my cheeks, this blade did a great job on my neck area. The Fatip OC performs much better than the Fatip Gentile. With the Gentile I had to do some touch ups after I was done with the ATG, this wasn't the case with the OC. But the Fatip OC is a great razor anyways, it will be always my favorite razor. I had a full BBS with no nicks, no redness, no razor burns. These moments remind me why I switched to DE shaving!

5th shave: Today it was time to use this blade for the 5th time, so far so great. I had ordered a couple TOBS shaving cream so this was the moment to use them. Like always I took a hot shower and start shaving.

1704591124499.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (5)
Soap: TOBS Oud Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Classic Vanilla

Pass 1: WTG - The TOBS Oud Shaving Cream smells so damn good, it lathers great but what else can you expect from a TOBS cream? I took a hot shower and applied the lather on my face. I started on my side burns and didn't notice anything bad at all, this blade is a great blade. It was still shaving as if it was a fresh blade, I was amazed on surprised.

Pass 2: XTG - Just like the previous time the XTG shave gave me a BBS on my cheeks, sideburns and jawline but this wasn't enough, I still went for the ATG to get a full BBS.

Pass 3: ATG - Now I got a full BBS, the blade didn't cut me, I had no irritations or razor burns. The blade was still super sharp, at this point it has already outperformed the Astra SP. I got a super smooth shave with a full BBS.

6th shave: Today will be the 6th time using this blade. I'm surprised how it performs, I didn't expect this at all. Also today will be the last time I'm using the Fatip OC with this blade, next time I'll be using a different razor and see how it's going to perform. I still have so many new shaving creams to try out so today I used the TOBS Cedarwood. You really cannot go wrong with the TOBS creams, they smell so damn nice and they're great performers. Like usual I took my hot shower and made my lather and started the ritual!

1704591164426.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (6)
Soap: TOBS Cedarwood
Aftershave: Proraso Red

Pass 1: WTG - To be honest I had no idea what to expect, I honestly thought this time will be the last time I'm using this blade. I took a Feather blade with me as a back up blade in case the Fatip blade would be way too dull to shave with. I applied the lather on my face and started with the sideburns first. Nope, I was wrong this blade was still very sharp, it didn't tug or pull at all. Everything went fine.

Pass 2: XTG - Like the previous times the XTG gave me a BBS on my cheeks, jawline and sideburns with no issues at all.

Pass 3: ATG - Everything went great on this pass, I achieved the full BBS without any touch ups. IMHO the Fatip blade works best in the Fatip OC, the Gentile is a great razor but it can be very mild on certain beard types. At this point I didn't expect the Fatip to give me 6 great shaves and still being sharp. With the Permasharps I get around 5-8 shaves out of one blade, I'm sure I can get more shaves out of the Fatip blade.

7th shave: So far I used this blade 6 times, 3 times in the Fatip Gentile and 3 times in the Fatip OC. I had no idea which razor to use now because to be honest when I got this blade I didn't expect it to perform like this. I have a Gillette Tech Ball, it's a super mild razor IMHO milder than the Fatip Gentile but I decided to give it a try. FYI; this razor is my least favorite razor, I got it for 20 euros long time ago so it was a bargain and I really shouldn't be complaining about it,

1704591236897.jpeg

Days of growth: 2 days
Razor: Gillette Tech Ball
Blade: Fatip (7)
Soap: Palmolive Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Pass 1: WTG - I applied the lather on my face and started shaving the sideburns. The blade itself was fine but the razor is way too mild. I got the impression that it wasn't aggressive enough for my beard time. I used short strokes to shave those whiskers down.

Pass 2: XTG - this time the XTG didn't give me a semi BBS but this is because of the mild razor I'm using. But still so far so good, no nicks and the blade is still doing what it's intended to do.

Pass 3: ATG - Finally, this is the "bbs magic" pass, I went for the ATG but I felt that I still had some light stubble left on my jawline, neck and cheeks so I had to do so many touch ups. This isn't a real problem for me but I usually use an aggressive razor so I normally don't even need to do touch ups for a full BBS. After I was done with the touch ups I rinsed my face with cold water and applied the Proraso Green AS on my face. I had a full BBS and my face felt super smooth just like the previous times. I have to admit that the Gillette Tech Ball is way way way too mild for my beard, so I won't be using it anymore for a longtime.

8th shave: This time I decided to use the Fatip OC Piccolo again. I found out about the Vergulde Hand Extra Fris soap so I quickly went to a local drugstore to buy this soap. It's the same as the regular Vergulde Hand soap except this one has eucalyptus oil added and the eucalyptus smell is really noticeable.

1704591295378.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (8)
Soap: Vergulde Hand Extra Fris
Aftershave: 4711 Eau de Cologne

Pass 1: WTG - I still remember the Vergulde Hand shaving soap and how hard it was to lather it up. It can dry out quickly on your face but you'll need to use more soap and less water. I'm going to be honest, this soap is not easy to lather it took me a while to get the perfect lather. I quickly applied it on my face and I was wondering if today was the day that I had to discard the Fatip blade or not. I started with the sideburns, it went super smooth. This blade really surprises me, there is no tugging, no razor burns no nicks. For me the only blade that performs like this is the Feather. I was done with the WTG and reapplied the lather again and started with the XTG pass.

Pass 2: XTG - The blade was smooth and sharp, the pass went fine and it cut all the whiskers like it was nothing. I already achieved a BBS on the cheeks, jawline and side burns. But thats still not enough, I have to do a ATG pass to achieve a full BBS.

Pass 3: ATG - I got a full BSS with ease. The blade is still super sharp and shaves well. This blade is a great performing blade and probably one of the most underrated blades!

<END OF PART 1>

<PART 2>

9th shave: Okay okay, you enablers will completely bankrupt me! As I was browsing this forum I found out about the Vitos shaving blocks, I decided to order Vitos Red Extra Super Shaving Soap, Vitos Vegetal Shaving Soap, Vitos Men Refreshing Aftershave - Orange from Italy. It got delivered within 3 days from Italy to the Netherlands. I managed to squeeze almost 75% of the 1KG block into a plastic ramen noodle container I will give the rest of the remaining soap to my co-worker who just started his DE shaving. The smell of the Vitos Red soap is ... meh, it smells way too sweet. I couldn't wait to test this new soap out.

1704591404521.jpeg

Blade: Fatip (9)
Soap: Vitos Red Extra Super Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Vitos Men Refreshing Aftershave - Orange

Pass 1: WTG - Compared to Cella Red, Vitos Red+ smells way too sweet but that wouldn't stop me from using it, the scents are one thing but the most important thing is how they perform. I had no issues lathering up this soap, the hype is real the Vitos Red+ is a super performer. I applied it on my face and started with the sideburns. It went perfect, the blade is still super sharp and doesn't tug. I was seriously wondering when will this blade become dull?

Pass 2: XTG - Like always this pass gives me a semi BBS and sometimes a BBS on some areas. I had no nicks at this point, I would describe this blade as a solid performer.

Pass 3: ATG - I got a full BBS as always, the blade is still super sharp and smooth. I applied the new Vitos Orange aftershave which smells so darn good. It reminded me of some fragrance but I couldn't remember which one. Later I found out that this aftershave is actually based on the CK Obsession, a fragrance with I own. To be honest now I couldn't wait to shave again just to see how this blade is going to perform on the 10th shave. Will it still be a pleasant blade to shave with? Do I have to toss it?

10th shave: I couldn't wait, today I decided to shave again with the same blade. It will be the 10th shave. I really can't decide which soap, razor and AS to use. I settled for the following setup:

1704591462493.jpeg

Days of growth: 2 days
Blade: Fatip (10)
Soap: TOBS Eton College
Aftershave: Proraso Green AS

Pass 1: WTG - I decided to use the Fatip Gentile again since this is the 10th shave and I would compare it to the first shave. To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of difference. The blade is still very sharp and smooth. It glides over my skin with no tugging or any other issues. It felt like it wasn't cutting anything at all, but that's thanks to the razor which is a mild one (perhaps too mild for me). When I was done with the WTG it was time for the next pass.

Pass 2: XTG - reapplied the lather and went for the XTG, no issues at all.

Pass 3: ATG - I had to do some touch ups but thats because of the razor I'm using, if I had used the OC then there would be no touch ups needed. The shave went super smooth, no nicks, no razor burns just perfect. I got a full BBS again.

I'm going to end the review right here, I will keep using this same blade to see how many times I can shave with it but I won't bore you with the details. I will update this review.

So, what is my final opinion about this blade?

IMHO the Fatip blade is the most underrated blade! It's a great blade and a great performer, it's not aggressive nor harsh. It's super smooth and mild like the Astra SP but it has the sharpness of the Feather. Everyone should have tried this blade at least once, I'm sure you won't regret it. I'm still wondering why Fatip doesn't take any effort to promote their blades? I mean almost every time when you buy a new razor you get some free blades from the manufacturer like Merkur does, why can't Fatip do the same? I really believe if Fatip gave free blades with their razors their blades would become popular and they would see the sales increase.

Sometimes we just see the price tag and we're like "nope, too expensive", but let's be honest here we forget the following: how much are you paying per shave? Example:

I paid 3,95 euro for 10 Fatip blades. That is 0,39 per blade.

So far I got 10 shaves out of one blade, the cost of one shave is 0,39 / 10 = 0,039 cent per shave!

The blade is still perfect, the difference between the first and last shave is almost 0. I'm, convinced that I could shave with it at least 5 times.

Let's look for an example to the Astra SP blades, I get them for 9 euro for 100 blades which is 0,09‬ cents per blade. I get 3 shaves out of one Astra SP blade so it's 0,09 / 3 = 0,03 per shave. But mind that the Fatip blade is still in a perfect shape so I could shave with it many times, so it will be cheaper than the 0,039 cents per shave, which means technically speaking this blade is cheaper than the Astra SP. So when vendors say that they're not stocking this blades because they're expensive is IMHO a false argument because they last very long. My guess if your beard isn't thick and curly like mine you'll probably get more shaves out of one blade than me.

I'm amazed that this blade is still super sharp after 10 shaves. The only other blade that lasts so long for me are the Feathers. I'll be buying a couple 100's of these Fatip blades.

We are in the middle of a blade renaissance, I think. We may have lost some old stalwarts, but there is a rush of top-flight newcomers on the field now, that bodes well for the future of DE shaving.

I ordered a big sampler of blades recently that included a few Fatips. About a month from now I should be able to try them.

EU and ice tempered plus that price level strongly point to Solingen Germany.

Have a look out for Timor or Boker blades to compare them against the Fatips.
I shaved yesterday with the same blade, it's it 11th shave and it's still performing superb. No razor burns, no nicks and I got a full BBS.

I have some Timor blades which I got from a sample pack almost 12 years ago. I remember trying one out and I didn't like them, I'm very sure that it wasn't the blade but my technique. I will give them a try soon.

I recently purchased a pack of Boker blades, I will use it in the future for sure.

Don't know if they're underrated. But definitely overpriced. Paid an arm and a leg for a single blade. Will try it some day. But even if I like it I doubt I would buy again

Top Bottom