What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: February 2017

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Okay, with all this talk of a Shovel Head and me totally regretting selling mine, I broke down and got another one. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week. This one was an all brass one which I haven't seen before until I saw Adam's picture of one and suddenly when I searched ebay, I found at least four listed.

Anyway, to keep the excitement going until mine arrives, I will add to [MENTION=46486]santamariasteve[/MENTION] excellent and brief facts on the Shovel Head by blatantly plagiarizing something I learned from Bob - there was a pre Shovel Head. It was the ER 1909 and had a Shovel Head head and a Gem Jr lather catcher handle - the one that was round and hollow and converted to a blade holder for stropping. I unfortunately deleted the pics he sent me, but found more when I googled it.

View attachment 720842

Sweet! I'm glad you couldn't resist.
That is a sweet Shovel in the OP. Alas, the photo is borrowed from here!

Can't wait to see the new score!

I've got a square combed 1924.

View attachment 720858

It came with a short handle. Here it's next to a tech handle for comparison purposes.

View attachment 720859

It's a great razor! It hasn't gotten the love it deserves lately. My Treet and MMOC have been getting the most use.

She's a beauty!

I looked in my storage case and found my Shovelhead and put it on deck for tomorrow. I had put it away because I like my Damaskene a tad bit better. Also, with all the new SE razors coming out lately I've been trying out the new hardware.

View attachment 720932
View attachment 720933

It looks like a square comb to me. I'm curious about the round comb now will be on the lookout for one. I used the EverReady stropper to strop a old Gem Double Life Blade to use tomorrow as well.

Let us know how she shaves and show us your setup!!! [emoji1]

Thanks guys!

RAZOR OF THE MONTH SHAVE

SETUP:
PRORASO PRESHAVE CREME
CROWN KING SYNTHETIC BRUSH
EVER READY SHOVELHEAD
CRSW SOAP
THAYERS WH
FLOID BLACK AS/ASB
$image.jpg

I HAD A NICE CLOSE COMFORTABLE SHAVE TODAY USING THE SHOVELHEAD LOADED WITH A VINTAGE GEM DOUBLE LIFE BLADE STROPPED TEN LAPS ON CANVAS AND TWENTY ON LEATHER. ONCE I STARTED SHAVING I HAD TO REMEMBER I WAS USING A VINTAGE RAZOR AND NOT ONE OF MY MODERN SE'S AS I STARTED WITH THE WRONG ANGLE AND FELT AS THE 1924 WAS ABOUT TO BITE. I QUICKLY ADJUSTED MY ANGLE AND LIKE I STATED HAD A NICE CCS. I WILL USE MY SHOVELHEAD THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK AND ALSO NEXT WEEK SEEING SHE HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY LOVE FROM ME LATELY. OH BY THE WAY THE OLD BLADE PERFORMED VERY WELL ALSO. IT RESPONDED VERY WELL TO STROPPING I STROPPED IT ON A PASTED CHROMIUM OXIDE STROP YESTERDAY TP PREPARE FOR TODAY NICE KEEN EDGE
:shaving:
SMOOTH SHAVES FELLOWS

KeenDogg

RAZOR OF THE MONTH SHAVE

SETUP:
PRORASO PRESHAVE CREME
CROWN KING SYNTHETIC BRUSH
EVER READY SHOVELHEAD
CRSW SOAP
THAYERS WH
FLOID BLACK AS/ASB
View attachment 721058

I HAD A NICE CLOSE COMFORTABLE SHAVE TODAY USING THE SHOVELHEAD LOADED WITH A VINTAGE GEM DOUBLE LIFE BLADE STROPPED TEN LAPS ON CANVAS AND TWENTY ON LEATHER. ONCE I STARTED SHAVING I HAD TO REMEMBER I WAS USING A VINTAGE RAZOR AND NOT ONE OF MY MODERN SE'S AS I STARTED WITH THE WRONG ANGLE AND FELT AS THE 1924 WAS ABOUT TO BITE. I QUICKLY ADJUSTED MY ANGLE AND LIKE I STATED HAD A NICE CCS. I WILL USE MY SHOVELHEAD THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK AND ALSO NEXT WEEK SEEING SHE HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY LOVE FROM ME LATELY. OH BY THE WAY THE OLD BLADE PERFORMED VERY WELL ALSO. IT RESPONDED VERY WELL TO STROPPING I STROPPED IT ON A PASTED CHROMIUM OXIDE STROP YESTERDAY TP PREPARE FOR TODAY NICE KEEN EDGE
:shaving:
SMOOTH SHAVES FELLOWS
Excellent work! Love the set up!

Great shot! What kind of soap is that?

My brass Shovel Head came today and didn't take long to clean it up. I know now why some folks call it a gold Shovel Head and some call it brass. It started life with a gold wash that is even thinner than the Gillette gold wash on the Techs. I decided to buff the top cap with some Mothers to shine it up a bit, but took most of the gold wash off and so had to hit it with Mothers again to take it all off. Anyway, without further ado, my SOTD in a black and gold theme

Gold/brass Shovel Head
Gem PTFE blade
Hawaiian Shaving Co Kaimu Shave Soap (yes, it is black, but lathers white when ready)
RR 400 Noir brush

$DSC01298.jpg

AND, I would like to thank KeenDog for making me realize how stupid I was to sell my first Shovel Head just because I liked my 1914 better.

Had a shovel head. Gave me one of the best shaves of the old non wedge blade Gem razors. Sold it once I shaved with a 1914. Still think of getting one again maybe someday.

Wow! You figured the 1914 out for sure then if it out-performed your shovel head! I am going to have to try your suggestions with mine.

KeenDogg

It's vintage Williams infused with Lime Sec. I am participating on "3017 a puck of Williams" in the soap thread. Vintage Williams is really nice. Nothing like the modern formula.
I was gifted a puck and will be pressing it into service tonight! What did you name your soap for the challenge?

My brass Shovel Head came today and didn't take long to clean it up. I know now why some folks call it a gold Shovel Head and some call it brass. It started life with a gold wash that is even thinner than the Gillette gold wash on the Techs. I decided to buff the top cap with some Mothers to shine it up a bit, but took most of the gold wash off and so had to hit it with Mothers again to take it all off. Anyway, without further ado, my SOTD in a black and gold theme

Gold/brass Shovel Head
Gem PTFE blade
Hawaiian Shaving Co Kaimu Shave Soap (yes, it is black, but lathers white when ready)
RR 400 Noir brush

View attachment 721212

AND, I would like to thank KeenDog for making me realize how stupid I was to sell my first Shovel Head just because I liked my 1914 better.

It looks great! Glad you had that realization, you are too kind.

Without a doubt I will break out my shovel head and shovel some lather- GREAT RAZOR!!

Keep on shoveling!
proxy.php

The Shovelhead (square tooth) with fresh shimmed GEM did itself proud beardwise. A trimmed Proline AC injector blade in the MMOC did a fabulous job on the head shave. Happy Friday.
proxy.php

KeenDogg

The Shovelhead (square tooth) with fresh shimmed GEM did itself proud beardwise. A trimmed Proline AC injector blade in the MMOC did a fabulous job on the head shave. Happy Friday.
proxy.php
Sweet! Happy Friday to you and everyone.

KeenDogg

So, here's a question: Why do you think they changed to the flip top shovel head design for the 1924? We're they just trying new things?

Kindly,
Adam

MY SHOVELHEAD SHAVE TODAY

I HAD A DELIGHTFUL SHAVE THIS MORNING USING MY SHOVELHEAD LOADED WITH A VINTAGE GEM DOUBLE LIFE BLADE. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY ANGLE PROBLEMS THIS MORNING TO WHICH THE ALUM GAVE POSITIVE TESTIMONY.
$image.jpg
$image.jpeg

SMOOTH SHAVES MATES:shaving:

KeenDogg

Only new to the US since the design dates to 1909.
No way! That's awesome. I'm soaking it all in!

MY SHOVELHEAD SHAVE TODAY

I HAD A DELIGHTFUL SHAVE THIS MORNING USING MY SHOVELHEAD LOADED WITH A VINTAGE GEM DOUBLE LIFE BLADE. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY ANGLE PROBLEMS THIS MORNING TO WHICH THE ALUM GAVE POSITIVE TESTIMONY.
View attachment 721402
View attachment 721403

SMOOTH SHAVES MATES:shaving:

Well done! It must have been those awesome instructions! Smooth shaves to you too![emoji1]

Top Bottom