What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: February 2017

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
With all the excitement going on in the DE Forum this month, I'd like to show some love to the Single Edge Forum.

That's why the safety razor for the month of February will be..... (drum roll please!)

proxy.php

THE SHOVEL HEAD!!!!

I'm new to the Safety Razor of the Month and SE razors so I just want to keep things light. There's no strict rules. I just want us to be able to share pictures, comment on history and styles, and most of all: HAVE FUN! If you have a Shovel Head and want to shave with it all month: Awesome!

You don't need a Shovel Head to join in the fun. But, if you need an excuse to get one, there is no better than this right here!

For me, I'm excited to find out more about this wonderful razor. I'll leave it to you guys and gals.

Happy Shaving!

proxy.php

Great idea! I don't have a Shovel Head (yet...) but I really love the Art Deco design on the handle of your razor! I am curious to know how everyone rates their performance.

Had a shovel head. Gave me one of the best shaves of the old non wedge blade Gem razors. Sold it once I shaved with a 1914. Still think of getting one again maybe someday.

KeenDogg

Awesome idea! So happy to see this thread being revived. :thumbup1:

I've had a round tooth 1924 for a while now. Honestly I've only used it a few times and was never blown away, it was good, but not great. Seemed to get passed over for my '12s and a '14 (or whatever else I've been finding). I've recently acquired a square tooth model and used it a few times now. I'm finding it to be Fantastic. Really starting to understand the love for them. Now I need to go back revisit the round tooth.

I don't have a shovelhead, but I've tried one and it gave me irritation . I get along much better with the 12s and 14, with the 1914 being my favorite.

I had a very nice shave with a square tooth 1924 this morning.

Attachments

• $DSCF9966.jpg
    $DSCF9966.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 114
Some more shovel head pics!

Attachments

• $DSCF9499.jpg
    $DSCF9499.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 96
  • $DSCF9970.jpg
    $DSCF9970.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 93
  • $DSCF9971.jpg
    $DSCF9971.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 96
  • $DSCF9244.jpg
    $DSCF9244.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 94
I'm pleased the 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" is the razor of the month for February 2017. Although called the 1924, in fact it was made from 1919 to circa 1934. It played a prominent role in the 1924 Sears catalogue. Hence the name 1924.

It is an open combed SE razor, similar to the Gem or Star 1912 razors, except for a very major difference. The door is hinged from the bottom, and to open the razor one pushes the tab forward. It has an ornate hexagonal handle that is the same length as the handle of the 1912 razors. But the length of the overall razor is shorter than the 1912, because of the design of the attachment point on the head. When shaving, the shaver's forefinger is closer to the head and that gives a slightly different feel.

It is much easier to clean the back of the Shovelhead's head, as the handle screws directly onto its back. It has a somewhat more "streamlined" appearance than the mini-lather catcher 1912 razors. One doesn't need to rinse the Shovelhead razor as often, as the head itself tends to hold the lather (and water), more so than most other SE razors.

"Pat. App'd For" suggests an earlier model from the early 1920's or late teens. The 1924 Every-Ready comes with rounded teeth or with squared teeth. The squared teeth model is an earlier razor that is slightly more aggressive.

I have fairly tough whiskers, and the 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" SE razor with the squared teeth is my #1 favorite of the "early" SE razors.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Some more shovel head pics!
Simply beautiful!

I'm pleased the 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" is the razor of the month for February 2017. Although called the 1924, in fact it was made from 1919 to circa 1934. It played a prominent role in the 1924 Sears catalogue. Hence the name 1924.

It is an open combed SE razor, similar to the Gem or Star 1912 razors, except for a very major difference. The door is hinged from the bottom, and to open the razor one pushes the tab forward. It has an ornate hexagonal handle that is the same length as the handle of the 1912 razors. But the length of the overall razor is shorter than the 1912, because of the design of the attachment point on the head. When shaving, the shaver's forefinger is closer to the head and that gives a slightly different feel.

It is much easier to clean the back of the Shovelhead's head, as the handle screws directly onto its back. It has a somewhat more "streamlined" appearance than the mini-lather catcher 1912 razors. One doesn't need to rinse the Shovelhead razor as often, as the head itself tends to hold the lather (and water), more so than most other SE razors.

"Pat. App'd For" suggests an earlier model from the early 1920's or late teens. The 1924 Every-Ready comes with rounded teeth or with squared teeth. The squared teeth model is an earlier razor that is slightly more aggressive.

I have fairly tough whiskers, and the 1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead" SE razor with the squared teeth is my #1 favorite of the "early" SE razors.

Thank you, kind sir. I have learned so much from your post! I didn't know that's why they called it the 1924. The Sears catalogue was a staple in every home in America at one time. Do you think the "Shovelhead " was designed to make it more nimble or for ease of cleaning? I just marvel at design changes and wonder about the thought processes involved.

Kindly,
Adam

Okay, with all this talk of a Shovel Head and me totally regretting selling mine, I broke down and got another one. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week. This one was an all brass one which I haven't seen before until I saw Adam's picture of one and suddenly when I searched ebay, I found at least four listed.

Anyway, to keep the excitement going until mine arrives, I will add to [MENTION=46486]santamariasteve[/MENTION] excellent and brief facts on the Shovel Head by blatantly plagiarizing something I learned from Bob - there was a pre Shovel Head. It was the ER 1909 and had a Shovel Head head and a Gem Jr lather catcher handle - the one that was round and hollow and converted to a blade holder for stropping. I unfortunately deleted the pics he sent me, but found more when I googled it.

$916233db-cb80-493b-8c80-0a7c1bea268a.jpg

I've got a square combed 1924.

$IMG_6593.jpg

It came with a short handle. Here it's next to a tech handle for comparison purposes.

$1924 with 2 handles.jpg

It's a great razor! It hasn't gotten the love it deserves lately. My Treet and MMOC have been getting the most use.

I looked in my storage case and found my Shovelhead and put it on deck for tomorrow. I had put it away because I like my Damaskene a tad bit better. Also, with all the new SE razors coming out lately I've been trying out the new hardware.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

It looks like a square comb to me. I'm curious about the round comb now will be on the lookout for one. I used the EverReady stropper to strop a old Gem Double Life Blade to use tomorrow as well.

Top Bottom