What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

You are absolutely correct there! Switching to DE shaving has turned a chore, that I hated so much I only shaved maybe once a week, into something I look forward to doing EVERY morning now. I haven't gone overboard on soaps and aftershaves - I have just enough to provide some variety, but I have fallen in love with collecting the vintage Gillettes. I'm aiming for "one of each", so I'm not hoarding them, and I try to avoid buying them online - I get to spend lots of quality time with my wife, going to different antique shops.

...and on top of all that, there are just some really cool people here, who are more than willing to share their knowledge of this hobby!

Welcome! and enjoy!

Thanks!

I guess if I asked which would be BEST DE RAZOR for stocking stuffers for my HUSBAND and 2 ADULT SONS for Christmas ... that would most likely start a WAR?!! Maybe a good new thread title "IF" I wanted to stir the pot?!

My husband and I own and operate a Gamebird Preserve where we breed, train and hunt bird dogs almost every day. I am very familiar with BIRD DOGS and NOT RAZORS ... but I could imagine that would be like asking the gun dog owners/hunters on the "Upland Hunting Forum" which is the best BIRD DOG to buy???!!! That never goes over too well ... :yikes:

Thanks!

I guess if I asked which would be BEST DE RAZOR for stocking stuffers for my HUSBAND and 2 ADULT SONS for Christmas ... that would most likely start a WAR?! :yikes:
I'm not sure about a war.. but you'd certainly get some very robust discussion/debate.

I posted a very similar thread looking for cheap, DE's to PIF to friends a few weeks back.. and got a wide variety of responses. ( Best cheap modern DE razor). That's the great thing about B&B though, everyone is happy to share their experiences and try to help you answer any questions you have. The problem is that I thought I'd be able to resist acquiring Razor Aquistion Disorder (R.A.D) and stick to one razor and brush. i now have four razors and 3 brushes.

I'm not sure about a war.. but you'd certainly get some very robust discussion/debate.

I posted a very similar thread looking for cheap, DE's to PIF to friends a few weeks back.. and got a wide variety of responses. ( Best cheap modern DE razor). That's the great thing about B&B though, everyone is happy to share their experiences and try to help you answer any questions you have. The problem is that I thought I'd be able to resist acquiring Razor Aquistion Disorder (R.A.D) and stick to one razor and brush. i now have four razors and 3 brushes.

That's it!!! Man, you need some more hardware! :devil: :thumbsup:

Just scored a rough 1947 Milord from the bay. Probably needs replated but $19 isn't too bad for it's condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically not a razor but close.
IMG_3037.JPG

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Mail call from France! Not only are these beautiful razors but they share a first name with the love of my life! The Double Ring shaves tonight!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks!

I guess if I asked which would be BEST DE RAZOR for stocking stuffers for my HUSBAND and 2 ADULT SONS for Christmas ... that would most likely start a WAR?!! Maybe a good new thread title "IF" I wanted to stir the pot?!

My husband and I own and operate a Gamebird Preserve where we breed, train and hunt bird dogs almost every day. I am very familiar with BIRD DOGS and NOT RAZORS ... but I could imagine that would be like asking the gun dog owners/hunters on the "Upland Hunting Forum" which is the best BIRD DOG to buy???!!! That never goes over too well ... :yikes:

When I was young I bred and hunted Elhew Pointers with my dad. When pop got a little older we started breeding Brittanys.. Then the quail hunting in Missouri got real bad and hasn't recovered. My last bird dog died 12 years ago and my life has been irrevocably damaged ever since. :-(

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Wood base, with a what looks like a lead sheet then a copper sheet on top with the carving. I don't know much about print blocks.

I'm guessing an it's an electrotype. "Electro: identical in manufacture and physical characteristics to the stereo, except that the surface has been electroplated with copper to increase useable life. Examining the edge of the cut through a 10-power loupe, the copper plating is easily seen. As before, thicker is older. Consistent color, usually dark grey, throughout material depth. Also as before, darker is older. Virtually always mounted with nails to solid wood base. Some electros were designed for very heavy use and are made of solid type metal with an electroplated copper surface. Common for newspaper production work, where the type and cuts really took a beating daily, especially in the 19th century."

Nope, nope, he just said he has razors and brushes. That means he needs more SOFTWARE! - Soaps and Aftershaves!
Very tempting, but I'm currently trying to keep to 2 soaps (one menthol/eucalyptus for summer shaves and one sandalwood/cedar/woodsy for winter) + one cream for travel (I'm not sure how successful I'll be with this this)... and a aftershave to match each of the soaps (Currently Caties Bubbles "Mile High Menthol" with Proraso Green A/S and DR Harris Marlborough with Marlborough A/S..

When I was young I bred and hunted Elhew Pointers with my dad. When pop got a little older we started breeding Brittanys.. Then the quail hunting in Missouri got real bad and hasn't recovered. My last bird dog died 12 years ago and my life has been irrevocably damaged ever since. :-(

I totally understand. I think my husband will always have a German Shorthaired Pointer for bird hunting (Michigan still has Woodcock and Grouse up north), as long as he can see enough to shoot his gun! We live in Michigan and it used to be EASY WALK-UP PHEASANT HUNTING STATEWIDE in FIELDS and DITCHES (even with NO BIRD DOGS!) back in the 1950s and 1960s. Now it is nearly impossible to find PHEASANT in the wild anymore. That is why we offer "PUT and TAKE" PHEASANT and CHUKAR PARTRIDGE HUNTING for people who want to get their BIRD DOGS on some PHEASANT again. Surprisingly there is actually quite a demand! We started this Ma and Pa Preserve 10 years ago as a part-time hobby after my husband retired from GM, but now we are BUSIER than we really want to be!!! (7 days a week!) We are trying to think of how to slow it down for semi-retirement so we can slip away to HAVE FUN a little more often, too ... that would free up time so we can go TREASURE HUNTING more often at all the local places together again???!!

I love this thread!
It looks so fun and exciting to "FIND" HISTORY items that are buried somewhere to rescue them so that they are appreciated and/or used again.

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

I agree that finding history in a hobby is fun. I recently found two SE razors that per so far available documentation do not exist. Two 7 day sets of CV Heljestrand wedge blade STAINLESS STEEL razors, from pre WW2 I presume. I also have a nickel plated brass version of the same razor and the differences in material are obvious. Looks like new tooling was done for the stainless steel versions too. The razor is a lather catcher design and both the SS razors look like new after 80 years or so. The plated one shows enough plating wear to be obvious that it is plated as well as the plating being a very different color. The stainless steel ones react to a strong magnet with the same attractive strength as a modern 303 stainless steel razor in my collection. I am also a hobbyist machinist who makes stainless steel body jewelry so am quite familiar with stainless steel and have many of the new stainless steel razors that are available. I can recognize a SS razor.

Below is a picture of one of the stainless steel sets. This one is marked as sold by a French shop and has the day of week names on the blades in French. It gives a great shave with a Gem blade. I still need to try it with a original wedge blade.

CVHeljestrand-1.jpg
7 day

To me posts like this about lack of photos are attacks and should not be allowed. As worded I would see this as calling the OP a liar. Sorry if you disagree.

You are absolutely correct there! Switching to DE shaving has turned a chore, that I hated so much I only shaved maybe once a week, into something I look forward to doing EVERY morning now. I haven't gone overboard on soaps and aftershaves - I have just enough to provide some variety, but I have fallen in love with collecting the vintage Gillettes. I'm aiming for "one of each", so I'm not hoarding them, and I try to avoid buying them online - I get to spend lots of quality time with my wife, going to different antique shops.

...and on top of all that, there are just some really cool people here, who are more than willing to share their knowledge of this hobby!

Welcome! and enjoy!

That summaries my experiences too.
I hated shaving, kind of once a week with a crappy electrical shaver or a worn out mach3 blade.
Now I'm looking forward to shave and I do it everyday.
They must be wondering on my work what has happened. Going from a constantly 3-7 days beard to a daily shaver :001_302:

Top Bottom