What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

I finally tried out my new RPL. Just for laughs, I did a side-by-side test with a Gillette Tech. Both razors had Weber bulldog handles, so they looked quite similar.
The results were predictable: The RPL delivered a much closer shave than the Tech.
While I agree that the RPL is surprisingly aggressive, I do not think it is in the same category as a Mühle R41-2011.
For $9, it is a pretty amazing razor!

I finally tried out my new RPL. Just for laughs, I did a side-by-side test with a Gillette Tech. Both razors had Weber bulldog handles, so they looked quite similar.
The results were predictable: The RPL delivered a much closer shave than the Tech.
While I agree that the RPL is surprisingly aggressive, I do not think it is in the same category as a Mühle R41-2011.

Pleased to hear your report Dr!
We are in the YMMV world of fine tolerances here.

I have only shaved with Spitfire R41 and for me Rapira PL>Shavecraft Tech>Spitfire R41.

I know there's a lot of debate about Spitfire vs 2011 and ST Tech vs R41 but really at this level of aggression we've gone into the ultraviolet and they're all amazing.
I do find the Rapira PL the smoothest of the lot for sure.

And I totally agree with you - it is a pretty amazing razor!

@1Cal - you NEED a Devette!

And don't worry about fine trimming with a chunky slant - you will soon get the hang of it by using the blade corners etc.
Do you have any advice on how to procure/make a Devette Marcus?

With regard to the slants... it's beginning to look like I've discovered the depth of the rabbit hole: ∞ :lol:

Do you have any advice on how to procure/make a Devette Marcus?

With regard to the slants... it's beginning to look like I've discovered the depth of the rabbit hole: ∞ :lol:

Cut the guard of a RiMei or Tech but leave the corners on (important!)
Or file off all but the outermost teeth of an OC.
See the lengthy "No Guard DE?" thread for full descriptions....

Wow, great shave reports men, thanks! I'm participating in SEptember, so it will be a little while before I get back to the Rapira. For me it shaves beyond BBS into the C(herub's) C(heek) S(mooth) territory!

RPL Razor — Shave #10

SOTD
Prep: Splash of hot water
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Razor: Rapira Platinum Lux
Blade: Zaza (1)
$RPL+Zaza.jpg

Another great shave with one of my favorite blades.

Today my aim was for a “natural” shave, with plenty awareness but much less “concentration” than I’ve been giving the RPL. I found that my angles varied everywhere, although there was still plenty of “very shallow” and “very steep.”

This was a very satisfying (BBS as usual) shave with the magical RPL. :biggrin1:

No, definitely not R41 2013 let alone the even more beastly OC 2011, but it's certainly one of the most aggressive razors I've used. For the price it makes q great travel razor since I don't have to worry if I have to replace it. [emoji106]

Pleased to hear your report Dr!
We are in the YMMV world of fine tolerances here.

I have only shaved with Spitfire R41 and for me Rapira PL>Shavecraft Tech>Spitfire R41.

I know there's a lot of debate about Spitfire vs 2011 and ST Tech vs R41 but really at this level of aggression we've gone into the ultraviolet and they're all amazing.
I do find the Rapira PL the smoothest of the lot for sure.

And I totally agree with you - it is a pretty amazing razor!
Kinda of like which poison is stonger lol.

After coffee on the porch, I'll go dig out my favorites and grab at least a quick cell shot!

I guess collector is a term I may need soon. I'm more 'curious', and just like trying everything. Love to find the best of the cheap!

My little Tech variant collection (thus far). There's a Razorock Tech en-route, so it's not a complete picture.
Of course, that one good handle to rule them all!

$20160914_170646.jpg

Thanks [MENTION=76298]Cash_Stronomer[/MENTION] :thumbup:

What's that handle and where's it from please? I do like the look of it.

RPL razor – shave #2

Preshave: shower and hot towel
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soaps Vetyver
Brush: hgm badger
Razor: Rapira PL
Blade: Voskhod (2)
After shave: alum, Nivea ASB sensitive skin, Old Spice

An uneventful, efficient and effective shave today with no issues to report. Pretty much BBS in two passes.

I find the RPL as effective as the Piccolo, however, somehow it doesn't give me that happy feel I get when using the Piccolo – or even a Krona for that matter. It doesn't have the agility and balance in the hand and on my face of my preferred razors. But it's a razor I could happily live with if I hadn't used others that I've found give me more pleasure in use. Very subjective but that's how it is with this hobby.

Top Bottom