What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

RPL Razor — Shave #4

$Feather+RPL.jpg

Today's shave was the first with a new Feather blade (vs. the new RPL blade I started with).

I kinda hate to admit this... but, I reckon that's the best shave I've ever had!

I usually find Feathers a tad scratchy on the first shave. But in the RPL Razor it was simply as smooth as smooth. I am now a total convert, and intend to shave with the RPL Razor all month to tune my technique with it. Wow! $3.50 for this razor + 5 blades. Unbelieveable!

Again, please excuse the smartphone pic. :blushing:

[MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION] Thanks for the excellent write ups!
You are a great advocate for this surprising and amazing razor [emoji3]

I have 3 Rapira PL razors now and I still can't get over the combination of aggression and smoothness.

The Shavecraft Tech, R41 and Devette are not smooth like this yet the Rapira PL outperforms them in all efficiency.

I've got to say it again - what a razor!

RPL Razor — Shave #5

SOTD
Prep: Splash of hot water
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Razor: Rapira Platinum Lux
Blade: Feather (2)
$SOTD_2016-09-06.jpg

I can only say that I'm really enjoying this cheapo razor as is, no modifications whatever. I can honestly say that these last five shaves have been the best I've had yet. Since joining B&B I've enjoyed many shaves, but none as much as the last five. All have been effortless BBS shaves, and I know that more practice will still improve on that.

The RPL Razor makes me think of one of those girls you'd walk straight past in the street. But hey, if you just smiled and said "hello" she could turn into the love of your life, a real keeper.
But like any razor (or girl), if you don't treat them right... I expect you'll regret it. :devil:

I have 3 Rapira PL razors now and I still can't get over the combination of aggression and smoothness.

The Shavecraft Tech, R41 and Devette are not smooth like this yet the Rapira PL outperforms them in all efficiency.

I've got to say it again - what a razor!
:thumbup: Again, many thanks for introducing me to this "plain Jane" razor Marcus. You're the man!

I have a few questions, I'm going with my father in the mountains to our apiary and I need a mild razor since I'm without one. Is blade even on both sides? Can head go on rimei handle (I have a spare handle from what I believe is rebranded RiMei just sold under the different name)

Last edited:
I have a few questions, I'm going with my father in the mountains to our apiary and I need a mild razor since I'm without one.
Have a good trip. :thumbup1:
The Rapira Platinum Lux is an aggressive razor, not a mild one.

Is blade even on both sides?
Yes.

Can head go on rimei handle (I have a spare handle from what I believe is rebranded RiMei just sold under the different name)
The RPL head/cap bolt has the standard M5 thread, so yes.

Check out this thread:
Fierce And Aggressive Current Production DEs

I'll go for it anyway, I can't loose much, and I'm in too big temptation because blade is even :laugh:
Also I'll look for sterling.
It's definitely a wonderfully smooth shaver. I know you prefer mild razors, so just respect all that blade. :wink2:

$RPL-Feather-Profile.jpg

And of course, let's know how you find it. :biggrin1:

It's definitely a wonderfully smooth shaver. I know you prefer mild razors, so just respect all that blade. :wink2:

View attachment 686738

And of course, let's know how you find it. :biggrin1:

I do like mild razors but then again I use cartridges also :lol:. Maybe I like milder razors because of that smooth feel, of course blade also has a big part in giving that smoothness.
I'm a little bit jealous on russians- gillette platinum, voshkod, now this :blushing:.
Maybe it becomes my daily razor with that agressivness, one pass + touch ups and done.

Best regards :thumbup:

Received mine tonight and got to try it.
I put the head on an old Ball End handle I had from a tech I got in a lot from fleabay and used a Nacet that was on its second shave.

I was really expecting this razor to be more than I could handle, not liking it due to (what I perceive to be) my limited habilities compared to you all and end-up pifin' it but hey, for 12$ canadian with shipping it was worth a try.

I gotta say it was a good shave. I definitely "felt" the blade a lot, a bit more than I like usually but using the ball-end handle may have shifted the balance towards the handle, allowing me to really go even more gentle than I usually go pressure-wise.

The aftershave stung a bit more than usual but all in all it was a very good shave. One weeper due to a small zit and a bit of irritation of course. Good enough that the Rapira head + BE handle will remain in my rotation for now.

Received mine tonight and got to try it.
I put the head on an old Ball End handle I had from a tech I got in a lot from fleabay and used a Nacet that was on its second shave.
Do give it a shot or two with the original handle (so you can test the razor as is, vs. a frankenrazor version). Please.

I know we all like our stuff to "look nice" etc, but I think you'll be surprised at how well this razor performs as is, just the way it was designed to do. IMO you can't truly test a razor if you substitute the handle. It's like the differences people find between their Fatip Piccolos and Grandes... same head, different handle.

Do give it a shot or two with the original handle (so you can test the razor as is, vs. a frankenrazor version). Please.j

I know we all like our stuff to "look nice" etc, but I think you'll be surprised at how well this razor performs as is, just the way it was designed to do. IMO you can't truly test a razor if you substitute the handle. It's like the differences people find between their Fatip Piccolos and Grandes... same head, different handle.
Ok, well, it's not something I concern myself with (the authenticity of a cheap modern razor that is) especially as long as I'm happy with its performance in its current incarnation but I'll give it a try for you since you said "please"... ;-)

Ok, well, it's not something I concern myself with (the authenticity of a cheap modern razor that is) especially as long as I'm happy with its performance in its current incarnation but I'll give it a try for you since you said "please"... ;-)
:thumbup: Mommy taught me to always say "please." It works. :biggrin1:

Rapira razor 10$+2$ BE rimei and you have a razor :lol: that has even blade gap and you can change balance of the razor

RPL Razor — Shave #6

SOTD
Prep: Splash of hot water
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Razor: Rapira Platinum Lux
Blade: Feather (3)
$SOTD_2016-09-06_Colored-Edges.jpg

Today's shave was a surprise for me. The Feather blade felt just a tad scratchy — so full awareness was definitely required. It was another great shave and I enjoyed it.
But I will say, if you're a sloppy (or devil-may-care) shaver... give the RPL Razor a miss. :devil:

The first Feather shave was smooth as smooth, which was unusual (for me) because in any other razor the first Feather shave is always a little bit scratchy. Due to today's experience I'll put the Feather on hold now (as I have done with the original RPL Blade) and will start with a new Personna Red (my benchmark blade) next shave, to see how that compares. I intend to do that for three shaves and then return to the used blades again.

I am still blown away by this razor's performance (not so much its looks), and I don't intend throwing a spanner in the works by fitting a prettier or heavier handle, which of course would make this little trial even more subjective than it already is. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the month of RPL shaving.

If you think I'm giving too much, or too little, information about my RPL Razor trial shaves... do let me know.

This will be the second full month that I've let my beloved Fatip Piccolo take a vacation. :w00t:

Top Bottom