Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

RPL razor – shave #3

Preshave: shower and hot towel
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soaps Vetyver
Brush: hgm badger
Razor: Rapira PL
Blade: Voskhod (3)
After shave: alum, Nivea ASB sensitive skin, Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver

Up early for a meeting 60 miles away. I followed my regular routine for prep and kept the same set-up as the two previous days. Somehow it all clicked into gear. The RPL felt less clunky in my hand and today I adapted fully from using the Piccolo. The movements and relationships between strokes and passes all fell into place and I achieved a pretty much BBS in two passes. I've found that slowing down and shortening the strokes on the awkward growth directions has eliminated the need for touch-ups.

The alum bar didn't find any areas to soothe, so all in a very effective, comfortable and enjoyable shave. If I was forced to live with one razor I could settle for an RPL. Whilst I don't rate it as the best for user experience I do respect the results I am achieving with it.

There's a lot to be said for persevering with the same razor/blade/soap/brush/prep to really fine tune one's technique. I've been tempted to use a different soap this week but I'm glad I haven't as it's allowed me to adapt and refine my technique with the RPL and not attribute any differences to other causes.

I actually shaved with the metal handle model today loaded with a Gillette Rubie, reminds me of a more aggressive Lord L6. Really get alot of feedback with this razor and very close shaves. Use this one a couple times a week, for under $10 it is a good buy if you are looking for a razor on the aggressive side.

RPL razor – shave #4

Preshave: shower and hot towel
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soaps Vetyver
Brush: hgm badger
Razor: Rapira PL
Blade: Voskhod (4)
After shave: alum, Nivea ASB sensitive skin, Jacques Bogart Silver Scent

Another excellent two-pass shave. The RPL razor requires no effort at all and the lightest strokes remove bristles very efficiently. Even several hours later, my face feels wonderfully smooth. The Voskhod blade is still performing well although I have tossed it – they're so cheap I don't need to get more than four shaves from each.

Tomorrow I'll be going back to my Piccolo and I'm going to give Derby Extra another chance.

RPL Razor — Shave #11

SOTD
Prep: Splash of hot water
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Razor: Rapira Platinum Lux
Blade: Zaza (2)

Amazingly... today's shave was not great! :huh:

The first pass was a real pain. I couldn't seem to find the right angle at all. Mind you, I did have four days (heavy) growth. I know my beloved Piccolo would have demolished this forest in a trice. Considering that my first very satisfactory shave with the RPL was on three days growth I was quite surprised.

The rest of the shave was fine and I ended up BBS as usual.

In the future if I have more than three days growth I'll use another razor. Over all I think the RPL is an excellent razor, but not one that I WANT to use every shave (it just lacks that special something). I'll move on for my next shave/shaves. But I'll post back here on my next RPL shave.

Ok, 4 shaves on this bad boy RPL, using Personna Comfort coated blades (this is the only blades in my box at the moment) and yes it's very efficient, two pass and job is done. I love the handle as it's almost identical to the G.Knack making it this razor very maneuverable with my very average mittens.

For fun ordered at the same time a Yingjili razor and I can report that it is identical design and profile at list on my example, does it shave the same? the answer is yes it's a very close blade to skin relationship as with the RPL razor, the only difference is the Russian example is £5.99 while his Chinese twin is £1.32 on the bay of fleas.

Last edited:
Ok, 4 shaves on this bad boy RPL, using Personna Comfort coated blades (this is the only blades in my box at the moment) and yes it's very efficient, two pass and job is done. I love the handle as it's almost identical to the G.Knack making it this razor very maneuverable with my very average mittens.

For fun ordered at the same time a Yingjili razor and I can report that it is identical design and profile at list on my example, does it shave the same? the answer is yes it's a very close blade to skin relationship as with the RPL razor, the only difference is the Russian example is £5.99 while his Chinese twin is £1.32 on the bay of fleas.

Can you post a pic of the Yingli head against the Rapira PL head?
This requires further investigation!

Can you post a pic of the Yingli head against the Rapira PL head?
This requires further investigation!

Here's the ebay listing. Has pics. Looks like a clone indeed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-YINGJI...878122?hash=item41b021c7ea:g:6cIAAOSwtnpXqLjH

And some more snaps on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...Set-1-Razor-Handle-1/1958259_32650034169.html

Looks like a perfect clone (including the 4 small clamped-edges to keep the blade in position). No wonder performance is same as the Rapira head.

Last edited:
Oy, beat me to it. I also ordered a new brush as my old Kent boar is falling to bits, £2.72 and I am a happy, the lather produced from my Ingram cream was never as good. See item 252220697629. Razor and brush for less than a fiver, this is nice.

Here's the ebay listing. Has pics. Looks like a clone indeed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-YINGJI...878122?hash=item41b021c7ea:g:6cIAAOSwtnpXqLjH
And some more snaps on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...Set-1-Razor-Handle-1/1958259_32650034169.html
Looks like a perfect clone (including the 4 small clamped-edges to keep the blade in position). No wonder performance is same as the Rapira head.
:thumbup1: Thank you for the links.

Ha ha - I've just ordered one [emoji3]
:laugh: Me too.

@Edison Diplomat the 3rd
:001_rolle Now see what you've started!

I also ordered the Rapira Platinum Lux double edge safety razor, and the YingJili double edge safety razor through eBay. They are the identical razor (with different names ("Rapira" / "YingJili") on the caps). I only paid $1.73 for the YingJili razor, which had 1 YingJili razor blade included. . . I paid $7.75 for the Rapira Platinum Lux (plastic handle) razor, which had 5 Rapira Platinum Lux razor blades included. . . Both razors were shipped to my home for free & no tax was charged. Both are (the same) excellent shaving razor!!!

So now we can say there's a razor to rival the Shavecraft Tech for less than $2.00

It says a lot about branding that somehow in my mind the Rapira PL seems way cooler than the Yingjili.

So now we can say there's a razor to rival the Shavecraft Tech for less than $2.00

It says a lot about branding that somehow in my mind the Rapira PL seems way cooler than the Yingjili.

I respectfully disagree: I have both the Shavecraft Tech and the RPL and the Tech still shaves me the closest of any razor I own (I have a very coarse beard) and gets me to the best smoothest BBS I have ever had. The RPL gets me near BBS in the same 3 passes I use with the Tech, but not as smooth as the Tech. Also, the RPL, at least for me, clogs up with lather too quickly and requires frequent rinsing, whereas the Tech needs much less rinsing. At least that is my experience.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree: I have both the Shavecraft Tech and the RPL and the Tech still shaves me the closest of any razor I own (I have a very coarse beard) and gets me to the best smoothest BBS I have ever had. The RPL gets me near BBS in the same 3 passes I use with the Tech, but not as smooth as the Tech. Also, the RPL, at least for me, clogs up with lather too quickly and requires frequent rinsing, whereas the Tech needs much less rinsing. At least that is my experience.

I have a Shavecraft Tech too and it is unquestionably my favourite DE of all time.
YMMV of course - I find the Rapira PL smoother.

Had my first shave with the Rapira this morning using a Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blade and ABC soap and while it is impossible to judge a razor by one shave I was impressed . I have a R41 2013 , a Shavecraft Tech and a Piccolo in my rotation and the Rapira does belong in the same conversation . IMO it is not as aggressive as the Tech but smoother, the Rapira was efficient and smooth and a real find for $10 CAD .While not replacing the R41 2013 as my preferred balance of smooth and efficient it will find a place in my den. Nice to know you don't need to spend a lot to find a good performing razor.

Glenn

Top Bottom