What's new

Cut The SLOC With Some MELLON-CHOLY

Hi Ya'all Badger Fans and Blade Runners, thought I'd post a proper Shave experience here today. In my previous post on the Razorock Sloc, a forum member spoke about the Yaqi Mellon and I was fortunate to get one from the local online resale marketplace in Singapore. It was spanking new and was excited to give it a try. I was cautioned by a close friend who used the Zamak version that this was an aggressive razor head. Now, I'm a huge fan of the Razorock SLOC and always will be, matter of fact if they bring out a Stainless Steel Version someday I would pick it up. I was worried that the Mellon might be aggressive as specified by some or mild as pointed out by others, so I went in with a milder blade. My top three blades are Feather, Gillette Nacet and the & 7 O'Clock Platinum Premium (Black Packaging). This is my first review lads so please pardon my amateurish writing. For today's Shave I used :

Safety Razor Head - Yaqi Mellon 316 Stainless Steel
Safety Razor Handle - Razorock Bulldog Stainless Steel
Safety Razor Blade - Voshkod Teflon Coated Double Edge
Shaving Brush - Dscosmetic 30 mm Peking Opera G7 (Awesome Brush but too huge, Looks like a Bunny's bob tail)
Shaving Soap - Razorock Blue Barbershop
Shaving Bowl - Silicone Collapsible Pet Feeding Bowl
Alum Block - Osma Alum Bloc
After Shave - Skin Bracer Original (Love this to bits)

So, I started off with a few light strokes while riding the cap on the Mellon, heard those whiskers being snipped and was thrilled to find the angle which is a tad bit different from the SLOC or the Muhle R89, the latter being my daily driver. My first pass was smooth as ever and with the feeling of having conquered the high seas, it was time to bring this ship to shore. Went through the second pass with a bit more confidence and realised how awesome the Voshkod was when coupled with the Mellon. It was my first ever shave with a Voshkod and while I love this Blade, the glue on it is as annoying as the glue they put on labels stuck to some products which you attempt to remove but the sticky stain stays on and collects dust on it later scarring the look of the product. The second pass left me with a BBS Finish, no weepers, no nicks and no irritation at all. The Alum did sting a bit but thanks to you guys, figured that happens when you get close. My first sahve with the YAQI Mellon then and it was fantastic. This is a keeper for sure.

Lessons Learned today -
1. Respect the Razor, mild or agrressive and go easy with it, keep the pressure at bay no matter what with the first few strokes.
2. Explore and find out the right angle before going to town with it.
3. Pick your blade after doing a bit of research, the members reviews here have taught me so much about Blades that I'm eternally grateful for it.
4. Don't write off a Chinese Brand, these guys rock with their machining and finishing on premium products. What a marvel the Mellon SS Head is.
5. Pair your Razor Head with a handle that is comfortable for you. Most folk love the RR Barber Pole but I prefer the Bulldog.
6. Clean your Razor after every use, it will look spanking new for life. I do that with my watches each time i take one off at the end of the day.
7. 'Old School is Cool' - I used Skin Bracer for the first time today, it was soothing and smells like the Barbershop My late Godfather used to take me to for a haircut when I as a kid. It's a walk down memory lane for me and the fragrance stays on for

My Questions -
1. What other Razor Heads in Yaqi (Besides the Tile and Mellon) are worth trying out? A few Shavers here sell Used Stainless Steel Yaqi or Dscosmetic heads and will keep a lookout for any that you guys suggest.
2. Am intrigued about the YAQI Sentinel,Ghost, Vostok, Harlequin and the DSCosmetic AX. Have any of you used these and what Razors do they compare to? I generally prefer a mild to medium aggression Razor.
3. How do I get the Glue off a Blade before inserting it into the Razor Head?

Thanks for reading my first review and If it was acceptable, will post a few more about my next shaving adventures.

Attachments

• IMG20240212174343.jpg
    IMG20240212174343.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG20240212174422.jpg
    IMG20240212174422.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG20240212174530.jpg
    IMG20240212174530.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG20240212174545.jpg
    IMG20240212174545.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 25
I had always understood that the zamak SLOC and Mellon were the same head, with the SS version differing in that although it shares the name, the dimensions are not the same.

I believe @Iridian can comment on several other Yaqi models, and possibly @Ron R as well.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The SS Mellon is supposedly a bit more aggressive. The major difference is that it uses SLITS for the posts of the cap and not rounded posts. So one can put the cap of the SLOC/Mellon on the R41, but not the SS Mellon cap.

I like the Harlequin (aggressive), a Gillette Goodwill clone, the Sentinel 1.5 OC (there is a significant geometry difference between SB and OC for this razor) where i would recommend most to rather try the 1.35 OC, I also love the Vostok 1.05 DC and the Yaqi Duomo. A disappointments was the Tachi SE. The Romulus SE convinced me to get a Blackland Vector soon, it's very good but too mild for me. The Vector is supposedly a bit more aggressive and efficient.

Googling the name of various Yaqi heads or searching here directly will yield threads about these heads. I haven't read much about the Ghost head. The Bohemia also found some friends here and I might get one myself.

3. How do I get the Glue off a Blade before inserting it into the Razor Head?
I've always hated that damned wax on blades, especially when they're in puddles (as opposed to dots). I've always found it annoying and time consuming to remove the stuff... then I found THIS THREAD. Problem solved! :cornut:

Here'a part of a post of mine after using @Jay21's system:

This one wasn't too bad (at least the wax didn't go right over the blade edges):
Feather-1_2024-01-18.jpg

then, a few seconds later, with the help of a hard plastic scraper blade:
Feather-2_2024-01-18.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had always understood that the zamak SLOC and Mellon were the same head, with the SS version differing in that although it shares the name, the dimensions are not the same.

I believe @Iridian can comment on several other Yaqi models, and possibly @Ron R as well.
The New Yaqi Mellon 316 SSP CNC machined head(no blade tab overhang) is a tame mid to mid range with a good hand technique with a light touch it will perform to the owners desire has been my conclusion. The regular Razorock SLOC or Mellon head(some blade tab over hang) are mild to tame mid range has been my experiences having used both razor heads. So for a mild shave the RR SLOC offers that and for a nice closer shave the 2nd generation Yaqi Mellon head 316 SSP bumps it up slightly IMO. The RR SLOC is more affordable & comes with a 316 handle if that matters, buy the Yaqi Mellon head 316 SSP when on sale is also a bargain if you are patient type and like Stainless steel!

Last edited:
I've always hated that damned wax on blades, especially when they're in puddles (as opposed to dots). I've always found it annoying and time consuming to remove the stuff... then I found THIS THREAD. Problem solved! :cornut:

Here'a part of a post of mine after using @Jay21's system:

This one wasn't too bad (at least the wax didn't go right over the blade edges):
Feather-1_2024-01-18.jpg

then, a few seconds later, with the help of a hard plastic scraper blade:
Feather-2_2024-01-18.jpg
This is absolute Gold Cal. Thanks so much for that. Never thought of using a Plastic Scraper before. Wow.

• Cheers
Reactions: Cal
The SS Mellon is supposedly a bit more aggressive. The major difference is that it uses SLITS for the posts of the cap and not rounded posts. So one can put the cap of the SLOC/Mellon on the R41, but not the SS Mellon cap.

I like the Harlequin (aggressive), a Gillette Goodwill clone, the Sentinel 1.5 OC (there is a significant geometry difference between SB and OC for this razor) where i would recommend most to rather try the 1.35 OC, I also love the Vostok 1.05 DC and the Yaqi Duomo. A disappointments was the Tachi SE. The Romulus SE convinced me to get a Blackland Vector soon, it's very good but too mild for me. The Vector is supposedly a bit more aggressive and efficient.

Googling the name of various Yaqi heads or searching here directly will yield threads about these heads. I haven't read much about the Ghost head. The Bohemia also found some friends here and I might get one myself.
Hi Iridian,
Just had a few questions mate. Is the Sentinel a clone of the Wolfman and is the 1.35 OC smoother than the SB ?

2. What Razor would you compare the Duomo too just so I can make a connection. Is it like the Fatip?

3. And the Vostok 1.05 DC, is it a clone or a modification of another well known Razor ?

4. And finally the Harlequin, I haven't used a Gillette Goodwill but would this be as aggressive as the Muhle R41 or close ? The most Aggressive Razor I've used was a Fatip Il Grosso and that sure went South for me with the blade misalignment.

I'm Still a Novice Iridian and I did find a few posts about the Yaqi heads with You and Cal nailing some important information on them.

If you had to suggest I get another Yaqi head which one would it be... as in after the SS Mellon I have now. Thanks much for the help.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Is the Sentinel a clone of the Wolfman and is the 1.35 OC smoother than the SB ?
The Yaqi Sentinel and the DSCosmetic AX series are clones of the Wolfman WR2 head.
The OC is quite aggressive, but more efficient than the SB. That is true in general, but even more so for the Yaqi Sentinel.

2. What Razor would you compare the Duomo too just so I can make a connection. Is it like the Fatip?
Kinda, like the slightly more aggressive and efficient jurassic version of the razor.

3. And the Vostok 1.05 DC, is it a clone or a modification of another well known Razor ?
It is a clone of the Razorock Lupo DC, which in turn is a clone of the Wolfman WR1 head.
But unlike the .95 SB and .72 OC gap of the Lupo DC, the Vostok DC has 1.05 gap for both.
It feels a bit different, the Lupos are in general better supported, the higher gap and less support for the blade from above make the shave feel different, but I still like it a lot. Maybe it is just the dialed up gap and exposure.

4. And finally the Harlequin, I haven't used a Gillette Goodwill but would this be as aggressive as the Muhle R41 or close ? The most Aggressive Razor I've used was a Fatip Il Grosso and that sure went South for me with the blade misalignment.
No, it is not as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It has not as much gap as the Sentinel 1.5 OC but quite some exposure. Both are quite aggressive, but not as much as the R41.

The Fatip Il Grosso is mild to medium at max in terms of aggression.

As I just talked with @Greg788 , the Blackland Blackbird SB, Game Changer .84P and Lupo .95 OC are also always good options to consider. They are middle of the road in terms of aggression but highly effective razors that most people will love.

I am pretty sure the Harlequin and the Sentinel 1.5 OC could be too much.

I don't know how you get along with the Mellon SS, up or down with aggression, what is your take?

The Yaqi Sentinel and the DSCosmetic AX series are clones of the Wolfman WR2 head.
The OC is quite aggressive, but more efficient than the SB. That is true in general, but even more so for the Yaqi Sentinel.

Kinda, like the slightly more aggressive and efficient jurassic version of the razor.

It is a clone of the Razorock Lupo DC, which in turn is a clone of the Wolfman WR1 head.
But unlike the .95 SB and .72 OC gap of the Lupo DC, the Vostok DC has 1.05 gap for both.
It feels a bit different, the Lupos are in general better supported, the higher gap and less support for the blade from above make the shave feel different, but I still like it a lot. Maybe it is just the dialed up gap and exposure.

No, it is not as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It has not as much gap as the Sentinel 1.5 OC but quite some exposure. Both are quite aggressive, but not as much as the R41.

The Fatip Il Grosso is mild to medium at max in terms of aggression.

As I just talked with @Greg788 , the Blackland Blackbird SB, Game Changer .84P and Lupo .95 OC are also always good options to consider. They are middle of the road in terms of aggression but highly effective razors that most people will love.

I am pretty sure the Harlequin and the Sentinel 1.5 OC could be too much.

I don't know how you get along with the Mellon SS, up or down with aggression, what is your take?
Thanks for that. Now I have a really good idea about these Razors. I think the blade being aligned badly on My Il Grosso was the reason. One side shaved smoothly but the other side left me with a ton of weepers.

For me, I find the Muhle R89 Twist the easiest to use, With the Rockwell 6 S I used to shave on Plate 4 or 5 and it was always smooth and mild. I find the Mellon SS easy and probably mid aggression for me but on the lower side of mid. Then again I used a Voshkod, maybe if I threw in a Feather it might have been different.

Top Bottom