What's new

Razor wars - KCG versus R89 versus Tech

Another comparison shave off between what are ordinarily viewed mild razors.

King C. Gillette

This razor has been around for a few years now and was actually the razor that brought me into DE shaving. It is available from your usual drugstore (at least here in the Netherlands). There has been a lot of debate about the origins of this razor. Where the Gillette Heritage was clearly associated with Mühle, the design of this one is more vague. The head is somewhere between Mühle and Merkur. My 2021 version mentioned the head was made in Germany and the handle in China. Current versions are all made in China according to the packaging. The handle is on the heavier side and people have varying opinions on its grip (or lack thereof). I actually like it. I also like the KCG monogram on the cap - it has a nice look to it. The razor weighs about 102-103 grams and the handle is about 9.5-10cm. The head is zamak and the handle (as far as I can tell or know) brass - or at least brass threading (it isn't steel I think, because a magnet doesn´t do anything).

The angle is about 30 degrees and it has some blade feel to it. Not R41 or anything, but the blade is more present than in the R89 - at least for me.

Mühle R89

According to Geo's website the R89 rose gold weighs 62g with an overall height at 95mm. So it has similar length to the KCG, but weighs far less.

Tech

This razor obviously needs no introduction. I actually used two different Techs, an English and a US one, but I find them very similar. Both have a fat handle. The fat handle is hollow making this very light razors and the lightest razors in my collection. This is a fun razor for both beginners and experienced shaves. It depends more on the blade you are using and the number of passes you need. Speaking of blades: blade alignment is spot on. No Fatip exercises in zen blade placement here. Pop in the blade and done. Blade overhang is present and manageable. Very clear why this allegedly is the most produced and sold DE razor in history.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
16.01.2024King C. Gillette KCGKCG (6)10107
17.01.2024King C. Gillette KCGKCG (7)10105.5
Mühle R89KCG (8)10108.75
22.01.2024Gillette Tech Flat BottomKCG (12)10108.25
24.01.2024Gillette Tech PrewarKCG (14)10108.25

Average KCG

Average R89

Average Tech

Notes

Shaving with the R89 is a delight. Smooth, simple, gives a lot of confidence and the angle is quite wide so this is a razor that provides something for all types - steep or shallow. Despite reading other reviews I had the impression this razor is actually very different from the KCG razor. Easy DFS++/BBS levels whereas this was the initial struggle I had with the KCG that lead me to try out other razors. The KCG is a four pass razor for me whereas this R89 shines within 3 passes and a touch up. Really nice. An excellent razor for beginner and veteran in my mind that can give you a smooth result while being in autopilot mode.

In this comparison the R89 also did better than both Techs, but the results are less different than compared to the KCG (is actually for the Techs and the R89). What puzzles me about the comparison is that I used to get BBS shaves with the KCG all the time. There was a time (when life was simple) when the KCG was my only razor and it worked. I stepped up to a Fatip to increase my efficiency and effectiveness, but the KCG kept delivering. For some reason beyond my reasoning I have not been able to easily get BBS with it anymore. It appears to be more picky about its angle than I can remember from the first months DE shaving. It is still a nice razor that would also be very fit as travel razor.

The Techs and the R89 are completely auto-pilot razors. Insert blade and go. The R89 feels just that little bit more comfortable than the Techs, but again the difference for me is minimal. Funnily enough the challenge I have with the KCG to get to BBS I also have with the Flat Bottom. BBS used to be easy, but nowadays more challenging it appears. I am guessing this is all down to the operator.

All three are great milder razors that do the job they are intended to do. Sharper blades give each of them a little more punch. The KCG blade fits the bill as far as I am concerned.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Inspiration for you incoming! The R89 was my first DE razor, you know I then went to the R41, but I also like the Merkur SB heads a lot more, so Merkur 34C, etc... they have one SB and one OC head, except for their adjustables like Futur etc.

Merkur Head Overview.png

Maybe you want to test one of them in future! :)

lasta

Blade Biter
Maybe you are just out of practice with the KCG!

I find when I get deep into a comfort zone razor, my ability to get equal shaves with something very different goes downhill.

You've been using a lot of aggressive razors the past year, no wonder why KCG feels less efficient.

BTW, try a (purposeful) shallower angle with your Techs and compare with the r89! I remember R89 liking it just past 30 degrees, whereas Techs works best (IMO) in the lower 20s.

You've been using a lot of aggressive razors the past year, no wonder why KCG feels less efficient.
That thought has crossed my mind too. I tend to lean towards the more effective razors nowadays. Maybe that’s just it.
try a (purposeful) shallower angle with your Techs and compare with the r89! I remember R89 liking it just past 30 degrees, whereas Techs works best (IMO) in the lower 20s.
Will do! I don’t plan on giving up on the KCG razor either so let’s see where shallow can take me.

The KCG is my carry on razor - it splits into 3 pieces and has stayed under the radar of TSA so far, and if it did get confiscated it is easily replaceable. At home I tend to use old Gillettes and recently put a T2 thru the paces ---but I'd agree the KCG kind of has it's own technique (angle) compared to others, but when you find it, it can deliver a nice BBS.

Maybe you are just out of practice with the KCG!

I find when I get deep into a comfort zone razor, my ability to get equal shaves with something very different goes downhill.

BTW, try a (purposeful) shallower angle with your Techs and compare with the r89! I remember R89 liking it just past 30 degrees, whereas Techs works best (IMO) in the lower 20s.
I have the same experience with the KCG (also my first DE) as @Guido75 and that it is almost impossible to get a close shave with it anymore. I do however think, to your point, if I used it exclusively for a while it would get there. I may have to try that out. I have noticed that I have to get back into the groove with a razor even if I have used it in the past.

Inspiration for you incoming! The R89 was my first DE razor, you know I then went to the R41, but I also like the Merkur SB heads a lot more, so Merkur 34C, etc... they have one SB and one OC head, except for their adjustables like Futur etc.

View attachment 1787068

Maybe you want to test one of them in future! :)
Small correction:
Merkur 34c & 38c are two-piece razors.
Merkur 42c & 43c are three-piece razors.

Top Bottom