What's new

Proraso red cream holy cow!

Not to derail the topic of the OP but could we hear opinions regarding comparisons of the Red in the little tub versus the Red cream in a tube?

I'm close to picking up the red for the first time, but I was leaning towards the soap tub. (I have and love the green soap in a tub).
I had one tub of red spoiled/overaged that’s why I now mostly get tubes (less surface area to get in contact with air).

Not to derail the topic of the OP but could we hear opinions regarding comparisons of the Red in the little tub versus the Red cream in a tube?

I'm close to picking up the red for the first time, but I was leaning towards the soap tub. (I have and love the green soap in a tub).
As far as I can tell the only difference is the cream has more water content. So you're getting more soap for your money with the tub. (I haven't had a bad one, yikes!). The cream lathers faster of course, but it's not significant to me.

I like the preshave and the splash, which can often be got at a discount in a set with the cream, so I usually have both the tub and the tube on hand.

In this case do not buy it. Rather, take a flight for Rome and I'll make sure you go back home with a full luggage of Proraso purchased here!
I've already got a plan in action. I know a couple of Italians that go back and forth every few months as part of their work. The last one to come back to the states brought me a can of Proraso green. The next one will be coming back here soon and I'm going to try to persuade him to bring me some goods back in return for taking him kayaking.

As far as I can tell the only difference is the cream has more water content. So you're getting more soap for your money with the tub. (I haven't had a bad one, yikes!). The cream lathers faster of course, but it's not significant to me.
Exactly this, as confirmed many times by the Ludovico Martelli Company.
Thanks for the details! I might grab both to see which I prefer.
Well over a year with me but I have no way to tell how old it was when it arrived.
Got it. My rotation grows so mine may sit a while, and I have two tubs of Proraso Green so now I'm worried about that second one. I'll check it every now and then. Thanks for the warning!

Thanks for the details! I might grab both to see which I prefer.

Got it. My rotation grows so mine may sit a while, and I have two tubs of Proraso Green so now I'm worried about that second one. I'll check it every now and then. Thanks for the warning!
No hard evidence but the red has more/different oils in it that might break down over time. I have a small 75ml tub of the green that I use on business trips and it’s still fine after 2 years of infrequent use.

DB4C8ACA-FADE-49DF-A2D6-E615715E22F0.jpeg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
No hard evidence but the red has more/different oils in it that might break down over time. I have a small 75ml tub of the green that I use on business trips and it’s still fine after 2 years of infrequent use.

View attachment 1678906
My friend, the new Red (Super Formula) has a slightly different ingredients list than the previous version. The old Red contained Cocoa Butter and had a "yellowish" colour to it, the new Red does not contain Cocoa Butter anymore and is white in colour. Performance has been improved as with all other colours. Just wanted to point out since your photo shows the old Green.

My friend, the new Red (Super Formula) has a slightly different ingredients list than the previous version. The old Red contained Cocoa Butter and had a "yellowish" colour to it, the new Red does not contain Cocoa Butter anymore and is white in colour. Performance has been improved as with all other colours. Just wanted to point out since your photo shows the old Green.
My Red was definitely before the Super Forumla as is this small tub of Green. My new tube (dark green) is Super Formula but it only says so on the packaging but not the tube itself.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My Red was definitely before the Super Forumla as is this small tub of Green. My new tube (dark green) is Super Formula but it only says so on the packaging but not the tube itself.
Please, report your thoughts on the new version. I find the Super Formula to be an improvement, with the lather being creamier and slicker. The best results for all colours are obtained when used in combo with the matching pre-shave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My next shave is going to be with the Red Super Formula combo pre-shave plus cream. Honestly, it's been a long time since using the Red, but I already know it's GREAT. Also, this is to me the purest and most faithful Sandalwood scent of them all!

That is the nice thing about shaving.

Especially in the beginning, you find a product that really impresses you (I had my Proraso moments too :thumbup:), but if you keep experimenting with other products that come highly recommended (meaning many positive posts) you may find eventually some that impress you even more.

Later, these discoveries become less frequent, but by then you have hopefully established a range of products that work really well for you.

Everyone who takes up traditional wet shaving owes it IMO to himself to try the classic Proraso range, but don’t end your journey there just yet.
I look at Proraso as a stepping stone, not the be all and end all, even though others may disagree because they have found in Proraso (Proraso Blue anyone? :biggrin1:) all they ever wished for.

B.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my almost 30 years of wet shaving I have used hundreds of soaps and creams of all kinds, in any price point, from all over the world. Well, Proraso for me still remains one of the very best for performance, quality and reliability.

On a side note, I just wish they made more colours with more fragrances. My dream is to see one day a Proraso Lavender and a Proraso Rose.

In my almost 30 years of wet shaving I have used hundreds of soaps and creams of all kinds, in any price point, from all over the world. Well, Proraso for me still remains one of the very best for performance, quality and reliability.

On a side note, I just wish they made more colours with more fragrances. My dream is to see one day a Proraso Lavender and a Proraso Rose.
It would be great if they would extend the existing yellow foam into soap/cream format…

A true Italian! 🇮🇹

Top Bottom