What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Anyone have a suggestion for a place in the US to find these brushes. I've looked on WestCoast Shaving, but I am unsure what matches up to what on there (regarding the Edwin Jagger brushes). Any help is appreciated.

I have the exact same question as the poster above. After looking at West coast I see Best, Super and Silver tip.

Anyone have a suggestion for a place in the US to find these brushes. I've looked on WestCoast Shaving, but I am unsure what matches up to what on there (regarding the Edwin Jagger brushes). Any help is appreciated.

I have the exact same question as the poster above. After looking at West coast I see Best, Super and Silver tip.

The TESC site may help you guys out.

If you're still unsure and are in a rush to buy, email EJ directly and ask for clarification then buy from the vendor of your choice. Horse's mouth an' all :wink2:

Most manufactures have their own categories and they're aren't always consistent across the board (Kent BK4's for example actually have "Pure Badger" written on the handle, but they are Silvertips). Silvertip is usually the high end, followed by Finest/Super then Pure/Best. If I'm wrong here someone please correct me. I only have a few brushes but did a fair bit of research before buying them.
Generally though it comes down to what you like - some guys prefer a scrubby and slightly prickly brush, others prefer the soft tips.

This thread has really helped me out. I have yet to start shaving with a safety razor (my first one is in the mail right now!) and I was clueless what to look for in a starter brush. Thank you for posting this.

Silvertip is of higher quality than super. There are only a few manufacturers who use "super" and most I wouldn't buy a brush from anyways :biggrin:

Dang, this thread is an oldie but goodie! I'm still not sure about "Super." About 4 years ago, Joel said that Super is not as good as Silvertip (and only offered by [not-so-great] manufacturers). Does that include Simpsons, who sells brushes in Super, but not Silvertip? I already love my Simpsons Best; I may need to buy a Simpsons brush in Super just to decide for myself.
That EJ silvertip is gorgeous. I'm please to say I have one almost exactly like it. It may not be as practical or as functional as a Best brush, but I like to take it out for a spin every so often just because it looks and feels sooo good!

Dang, this thread is an oldie but goodie! I'm still not sure about "Super." About 4 years ago, Joel said that Super is not as good as Silvertip (and only offered by [not-so-great] manufacturers). Does that include Simpsons, who sells brushes in Super, but not Silvertip? I already love my Simpsons Best; I may need to buy a Simpsons brush in Super just to decide for myself.
That EJ silvertip is gorgeous. I'm please to say I have one almost exactly like it. It may not be as practical or as functional as a Best brush, but I like to take it out for a spin every so often just because it looks and feels sooo good!

The problem with the various grades of badger hair is that there is no standard between companies. Thus a Simpsons "Best" may not be the same as an EJ "Best." As a general rule, "Super" is somewhere between "Best" and "Silver Tip" for most companies. Other companies (such as Shavemac) use "Finest" to describe the grade between "Best" and "Silver Tip."

I currently own an EJ Super Badger brush and am very happy with it. It is far softer than an EJ Best while retaining just enough scrubbiness to be good at lathering soaps. I have never owned a Simpsons brush so I can't speak on their hair grades.

Thanks for the review and the fantastic pictures. Based on your review, I ordered an Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger which I have yet to try as it only came yesterday. I will probably christen it tomorrow. One thing I do not understand from your post is that when you describe "best badger", you seem to be comparing "best badger" to "best badger" which is confusing to say the least, e.g.., "BEST BADGER -
Best badger hair is essentially a refined version of "pure" it tends to have more of a banded pattern, than a solid black color, and it tends to be untrimmed, and as a result is softer on ones face. Best badger will have the SAME characteristics as far as "feel" as the incredibly expensive "High White Mountain" - "Manchurian" etc, as it will be firm on ones skin, yet supple enough to be luxurious. The bristle pack will often be denser than that of best badger, and as a result the brush will retain more water. The hair will have less of a snappyness (inclination to bend) as best badger..." &c.

This is a great thread, but for all users trying out the EJ BBB I would urge them to put in a few more $ and get a EJ Super Badger brush instead. It has a lot of the properties of the Best Badger, but is softer and more luxurious. My super badger has taken over as my go to brush, and the only time I use the BBB is when I need a more scrubby brush with some soaps.

Last edited:
Thanks for reviving this thread. It has actually saved me some money. I've got one of the rare Edwin Jagger brushes that West Coast was distributing for a short period in best badger with a horn & chrome handle (this model isn't made anymore and had a very short run). I love my BBB but I had been toying with the notion of getting a silvertip. Now I'm not so sure that I'll bother. My BBB just works so well. I'm thrilled with it.

Yeah, really the only way to be sure is to ask people's opinions on that exact company and grade (shoot for that specific brush too... odds are people have tried em).

Thanks OP for this thread, I was looking at EJ brushes and being a novice at this was debating whether to pay the extra for a Silvertip Badger, but reading your thread made me think it might too soft for what I want in a brush so I went for the best badger. Kudos!

Thanks joel for an awesome well organized post. I had been looking for the distinctions between the grades for a while, and this was an eye opening experience when i found it. Thanks so much.

So I guess letting your brush bloom is desired?
for some reason I kinda like when the brush isn't bloomed.
I pack it inside a toilet paper tube to keep the bristles from blooming.

I guess I'm the odd ball.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i chose the best badger as my favorite based off how the lather looked compared to the other 2. then saw your choice at the end.

Top Bottom