What's new

Open Comb Parker Variant.

I actually bought the OC after reading this thread. It replaced the original Variant as my favorite razor. Just as smooth if not smoother, a little more efficient. I typically set the Variant to 3-3.5, the OC does the same or better at 2-2.5.

About the only problem I have with my original Variant is the handle finish. I had the "improved" graphite version (the grey one that wasn't flaking off like the original black one). After five years, that included about 2.5 year break from wet shaving, and using the razor on average once a week (have to use them all...), the handle lost much of its color and turned dull gray with a somewhat greenish tint. But, that's the only issue, and very minor at that.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
I actually bought the OC after reading this thread. It replaced the original Variant as my favorite razor. Just as smooth if not smoother, a little more efficient. I typically set the Variant to 3-3.5, the OC does the same or better at 2-2.5.

About the only problem I have with my original Variant is the handle finish. I had the "improved" graphite version (the grey one that wasn't flaking off like the original black one). After five years, that included about 2.5 year break from wet shaving, and using the razor on average once a week (have to use them all...), the handle lost much of its color and turned dull gray with a somewhat greenish tint. But, that's the only issue, and very minor at that.

Have you considered to polish the CC Variant? Maybe it cleans up nicely...?!

Have you considered to polish the CC Variant? Maybe it cleans up nicely...?!

I would have to strip the handle down to bare brass first, which would require me to remove the dial, which is doable but reassembly is a PITA because of the split washer. Also, the brass would likely keep oxidizing which means it would have to be re-polished periodically. That's a bit of work. For now, I painted the handle with Testor's black enamel, let it dry for a while, then removed the excess with nail polish so the paint is mostly remaining between the knurls. It looks OK. (The spot on the handle just below the head is a water drop).

IMG_3807.jpeg

My two month old OC Variant also developed darker spots on the silver color handle. I suspect it's the result of quality issues with plating process, perhaps impurities causing micro cracks in finish and then soap or water getting in contact with brass. Doesn't affect the shave quality, but still annoying. I could probably get Parker to replace it under warranty, but I really like the way this particular razor shaves & don't want to risk dealing with someone else's return.

The refurbished CC looks good now.
But boy, that's quite a bummer that the new version is affected, too. 😞

Finally I tried it with a Feather. It just mowed down the whiskers, no slowing down even on my trouble spots which makes it a very smooth experience. All other blades pull a little around my chin or at least need more strokes. Some razors cause me razor burn with a Feather, not this one.
You know you found gold when literally any blade from dull to sharp gives a great shave with the razor.
I start to sound like a fanboy... but, I am, no denying.
1715155811847.png

Top Bottom