What's new

Open Comb Parker Variant.

How was your first shave @ewk?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
So glad you asked! :):) I used my Parker Variant OC for the first time this morning and I found it to be superior to the Merkur Progress, and that is saying alot as I love the Progress.

The Variant OC does not feel like an open comb at all. Such a smooth shave. I really felt I was done after the first pass; it was just that efficient (I shaved at the 3.5 setting). Just out of curiosity, I did a few strokes at setting 5 against the grain, and it felt just as smooth as 3.5. By comparison, I felt the blade much more when the Progress was opened up all the way.

20231219_104033.jpg

Couldn't stand the beard, so got rid of it with the Variant oc. What an absolute joy.
Smooth, extremely efficient but not aggressive at all.
I used it on 3, because I shouldn't have been shaving at all, according to my GP.

This is the first razor that I have used where I'm thinking, should I get another one?
It is absolutely fantastic!

The only slight negative would be the larger head, making it more difficult to get under the nose, on WTG passes. Can reach it ATG though.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Shaun asleep I like the slightly inward bent teeth of the OC, has a touch of the Timeless OCs. Make me give up on "just steel, bronze or Ti!" and collect even more razors in zamac, possibly vintage razors as well, maaan, I will have to create a special fund for razor debts. That's how my government would do it, cough, cough.

Very promising, but I am still in doubt as adjustables in general aren't my cup of tea so far. My next razor is already in shipping and well, no idea how long the Yaqi Duomo will need to Germany. I also ordered over xmas, something i actually want to avoid every year. Hmm...!

You don’t need to spend big buck$ to give yourself a world class shave. Case in point, this razor right here and a few others to be honest. The OC Variant though does something better than most economically priced razors in this price range and to others priced a couple tiers up if you will. The design is straightforward for an adjustable. Yes, it lacks the exotic alloy fabrication and the unobtanium components to make it “shave class elite certified” which is simply whimsical to me. But, I digress as what’s important here is how does this tool work compared to the many, many thousands of razor aids available to the wet shave universe.

Two words. Simply superb. Excellent on skin that feels soft and comfortable while still giving the whiskers the business of being annihilated in a precise and efficient manner. Super easy to use and dial in as it’s just a 2 piece kit that only a TTO razor would make it any simpler in adding & removing a blade.

Affordable, quality construction and a very nice looking razor that gives you multiple settings and variances of shave properties all in one complete package. A very, very capable razor that is a must consideration for anyone who would like to test the waters in an adjustable razor configuration without giving up much $$$.

From shave newbie to shave pro, this thing brings it. Great shaves to all….

356C047F-4AA2-4FB8-A4EB-1F5D69C859AA.jpeg

Hey folks,

I just received my Variant OC today, and tried to perform a visual check to make sure the blade is aligning properly, but, honestly, I am not good at it. Sometimes I feel it is not, sometimes I am not sure... it all depends on angle and lighting.

Any recommendations on how to properly check it? How you checked yours? I am dying to take it for a spin, but I want to be able to return it in case it is not in a good condition.

Thanks in advance!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum @XDNIGR. If you can, can you show us a photo or two of what you are talking about. It might help us to help you better.

Welcome to the forum @XDNIGR. If you can, can you show us a photo or two of what you are talking about. It might help us to help you better.
Thanks, @ajkel64 !
I am trying to take pics as well, but I am not good at taking them with a steady hand and correct angle either. :(

I am attaching a few, but not sure if the angles are good enough. I was also trying to tell if there is a difference in the gaps of the baseplate "T" shape figure.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1703746101479.png
    1703746101479.png
    854 KB · Views: 31
  • 1703746091665.png
    1703746091665.png
    887.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1703746073351.png
    1703746073351.png
    747.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    738 KB · Views: 25

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@XDNIGR looks as perfect as it can get.
Does it feel differently if you change sides, try that while shaving over the same cheek with both sides of the head, after you shaved away the mass of hair already. I really see no cause for concern or any minor deviation.

Thanks, @ajkel64 !
I am trying to take pics as well, but I am not good at taking them with a steady hand and correct angle either. :(

I am attaching a few, but not sure if the angles are good enough. I was also trying to tell if there is a difference in the gaps of the baseplate "T" shape figure.

Thank you!
that looks perfect. I don't have the OC, only the Progress (same head design). looking at it from the top seems perfectly aligned.
Hold the head parallel to you and look down on the head, you can spot any misalignment. At least that is how I check it. (similar to your 3rd photo, but rotate the razor 45degrees clockwise.

Top Bottom