What's new

NOW CLOSED 2017 B&B Gold Dollar Mod Competition- Novice Class

@sfeile One thing I have learned in life, is we judge oneself badly we all ways say. We could have done this or that better. But one thing I can say Shawn is in my eyes yours is far better than mine, and I mean that mine looks plain yours catches the eye and drawn to it. But I would hate to be the judge as all of the razors are winners.

Oh I forgot I still have 2 more

Last edited:
@sfeile One thing I have learned in life, is we judge oneself badly we all ways say. We could have done this or that better. But one thing I can say Shawn is in my eyes yours is far better then mine, and I mean that mine looks plain yours catches the eye and drawn to it. But I would hate to be the judge as all of the razors are winners.

Oh I forgot I still have 2 more
I've seen yours now... You are holding out. :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Great work! :a14:

I was that stinking little nosy brat that was always going through the closets and stuff to peek at the x-mas presents.
Don't feel bad, I was definitely surprised! They genuinely look amazing!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well folks here is one of mine just to wet your feet and mine, And a little eye candy for you.
Wood is Black Walnut brass pins and washers, I thinned the spine and gave it a flat top, then I removed the stabilizer rounded the heel, cut the toe back and gave it a point. I had to thin the spine over, but seeing as this is a Gold Dollar Mod. I gave the blade a touch of colour in fact gold to match the name. So it lives up to its name, but it does need tape to hone.
it tops hairs on the arm and yes it shaves as I did use it yesterday.
So onto the eye candy.

View attachment 796674 View attachment 796675 View attachment 796676 View attachment 796677 View attachment 796678 View attachment 796679

Catchy. Very nice.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm an old ironworker, so the "pins" I'm used to hitting are 14 inch long 3 pound bull pins with a 24 inch 8 pound hammer.....
Those tiny little brass things are a challenge to not completely crush! :lol:

A tablespoon works great. I usually add a small lump of JB Weld into the bowl of the spoon. I NEVER use any sort of hammer. The spoon is the best way I have found to avoid damage. Works for brass, or for nickel/silver. You just whack away at it and gitter done. Be sure to trim the pin to an appropriate length. Too much excess pin makes for a difficult peening job. I file the ends flat and true after cutting, and fine tune the length with more file work.

A tablespoon works great. I usually add a small lump of JB Weld into the bowl of the spoon. I NEVER use any sort of hammer. The spoon is the best way I have found to avoid damage. Works for brass, or for nickel/silver. You just whack away at it and gitter done. Be sure to trim the pin to an appropriate length. Too much excess pin makes for a difficult peening job. I file the ends flat and true after cutting, and fine tune the length with more file work.
I knew there was something I was forgetting. Victor linked us a video back earlier in the thread and I watched the guy file the pin after he cut it....... Probably would have made things easier right from the start...

The Problem I'm finding is when you have peened the pin it seems to leave a sort of rough edge around the pin how do you get that out so its smooth when you run your thumb over it

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The Problem I'm finding is when you have peened the pin it seems to leave a sort of rough edge around the pin how do you get that out so its smooth when you run your thumb over it

Do you file the end of the pin flat first? You can also lightly chamfer the edges of the pin end. Start with it filed smooth and to the proper length, use a spoon to peen with, and you should not have any roughness when you finish. Also if you want the "show" side to look its best, peen a head on that end with the pin in a vise. Make it round and smooth. Create a pinhead size dimple in your anvil, and make it nice and smooth and round. Assemble your washers, scales, and wedge or razor with the preformed head on the show side. Place it show side down on your anvil with the preformed head in the dimple. Peen the back side end of the pin.

yes filed flat then a slight chamfer it looks nice but it has like little bits that catch in places
I would say if they were filed flat and chamfered, they may have been too long then. You may be trying to peen the material too far to get them tight letting it split and giving you the little cracked pieces that catch stuff.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would say if they were filed flat and chamfered, they may have been too long then. You may be trying to peen the material too far to get them tight letting it split and giving you the little cracked pieces that catch stuff.

+1 Yup. Could be that.

Top Bottom