What's new

New OneBlade won't work with a Gem blade.

Yep, also known as monopolization.
If the market weren't so tiny I suspect they could be in trouble with fair trading practices. If not, then certainly lacking in ethics.

I'm not sure if this is a monopoly as there are plenty of people selling razors and blades all over the world. They are trying to ensure that they are the only suppliers of their products which I don't care for, but the fact you can choose other razors, other blades means they are not doing anything illegal.

I find it short-sighted to put all their eggs in the Oneblade basket so to speak. Imagine if they had a whole assortment of blades that gave really great results and just the one that gave optimum results. That seems like it would draw more interest and ultimately sell more of the Feathers as people would want to know what the best was like.

As others have said, I get the best shaves of my life with the gear I have. This may be better, but I am not greedy(certainly not as greedy as they seem to be).

I'm not sure if this is a monopoly as there are plenty of people selling razors and blades all over the world. They are trying to ensure that they are the only suppliers of their products which I don't care for, but the fact you can choose other razors, other blades means they are not doing anything illegal.

I find it short-sighted to put all their eggs in the Oneblade basket so to speak. Imagine if they had a whole assortment of blades that gave really great results and just the one that gave optimum results. That seems like it would draw more interest and ultimately sell more of the Feathers as people would want to know what the best was like.

As others have said, I get the best shaves of my life with the gear I have. This may be better, but I am not greedy(certainly not as greedy as they seem to be).
You're right, monopoly is a bit strong. But when you limit the sources of blade distribution, especially blades that can be used in other razors, you look bad.
I think their business model stinks.

Stan from Above The Tie, mentioned in another thread that a moden razor that takes the GEM blade might be in the works. That would be interesting.

That is much more interesting.
Though still can't see how it could improve upon an ER 1914 :)

I agree that the ER 1914 is a great razor if you like an aggressive razor or a ER 1912 if you like something milder. But a new version is an excuse to buy a another shaving toy.

Hi,

Well, they'll soon need millions of dollars as they try to fight Philips over the name.....

Stan

I was curious about this, so I did some sleuthing in the USPTO database. Oneblade, Inc. filed the trademark covering non-electric razors; Philips' filing covers only electric (including battery powered) razors. So they live in peaceful harmony it seems.

I was curious about this, so I did some sleuthing in the USPTO database. Oneblade, Inc. filed the trademark covering non-electric razors; Philips' filing covers only electric (including battery powered) razors. So they live in peaceful harmony it seems.

very interesting---thanks

For how long? Serious question.
It took about five/six shaves to figure out how to get the best from this razor and probably another 5/6 to master it avoiding the same mistakes. But it is indeed the best safety razor that I have. There may be better ones out there but I don't own them :).

Well now that I have had some experience - I would say that my blackbird gives me a better shave, more engaging and less cuts.

No monopoly. It's a proprietary razor that uses a proprietary blade. Until the patents on them expire, you'll have to pay the going price for both or do without.

I'll do without before I'll spend over $500 on a safety razor.

Not really a proprietary blade, which I would encourage OneBlade to develop with Feather or someone else. They repurposed a vintage blade.

Still surprises me no one (with skills) made an adapter sliding in the feather slots and using a central pin to lock the despined gem on top.

Top Bottom