What's new

New OneBlade won't work with a Gem blade.

I can confirm that this is true.
I got curious and therefore I tried it but I honestly think that this Reeser did not give me a better shave than my blackbird.

I got curious and therefore I tried it
For how long? Serious question.
It took about five/six shaves to figure out how to get the best from this razor and probably another 5/6 to master it avoiding the same mistakes. But it is indeed the best safety razor that I have. There may be better ones out there but I don't own them :).

I believe the people who say this is an amazing razor. If I had unlimited funds, I would be strongly tempted to buy one. Sadly, I don't , so I will probably never shave with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the people who say this is an amazing razor. If I had unlimited funds, I would be strongly tempted to buy one. Sadly, I don't , so I will probably never shave with one.

Hopefully,one day you can pick one up off the B/S/T for cheap and shave with it. Its all that.

For how long? Serious question.
It took about five/six shaves to figure out how to get the best from this razor and probably another 5/6 to master it avoiding the same mistakes. But it is indeed the best safety razor that I have. There may be better ones out there but I don't own them :).

This was not my experience. I used a OneBlade for a week and got a great shave first time, every time. One of the razor's selling points is that it takes skill right out of the equation. No need to worry about blade angle or pressure, as the spring-loaded pivoting head automatically takes care of both.

If the OneBlade had been around when I first became dissatisfied with cartridge shaving, I may well have looked no further.

I would have missed out on all of this! :w00t:

That being said, I can get a slightly better shave from an Asylum Rx, Cobra Classic, ATT SE2, or a properly honed and stropped wedge blade razor. However, these razors require a lot more on my part and there was most definitely a learning curve.

My problem is not with the razor itself, which is a pretty innovative design, but with the marketing and the people behind it.

--Bob

This was not my experience. I used a OneBlade for a week and got a great shave first time, every time. One of the razor's selling points is that it takes skill right out of the equation. No need to worry about blade angle or pressure, as the spring-loaded pivoting head automatically takes care of both.

If the OneBlade had been around when I first became dissatisfied with cartridge shaving, I may well have looked no further.

I would have missed out on all of this! :w00t:

That being said, I can get a slightly better shave from an Asylum Rx, Cobra Classic, ATT SE2, or a properly honed and stropped wedge blade razor. However, these razors require a lot more on my part and there was most definitely a learning curve.

My problem is not with the razor itself, which is a pretty innovative design, but with the marketing and the people behind it.

--Bob

Totally agree--- I only use SE's and everything said in this post is spot on. Oneblade is a great razor made by a company with horrible business model. I bought the oneblade when they first came out,and after the last year, I hope the company fails. I will always have and enjoy the razor in my rotation,but I hope they fail.

Totally agree--- I only use SE's and everything said in this post is spot on. Oneblade is a great razor made by a company with horrible business model. I bought the oneblade when they first came out,and after the last year, I hope the company fails. I will always have and enjoy the razor in my rotation,but I hope they fail.

Thanks for writing this. I hope they change their business model.

No need to worry about blade angle or pressure, as the spring-loaded pivoting head automatically takes care of both.
My roller guard razors give feedback as to the angle. Can you explain how the OneBlade takes care of the pressure? You can't abuse it and nick yourself?

Thanks for writing this. I hope they change their business model.

Yea, personally I don't care anymore. I will use the gems in the razor the rest of my life and be very happy. I used to get feathers from Connaught in the U.K. and I am convinced oneblade has something to do with them not shipping to the USA anymore. I will not pay $7 per 10 pack for feathers when the gems are almost,but not quite as good. I have my artist club blades which trump any other blade I use anyway.

Last edited:
My roller guard razors give feedback as to the angle. Can you explain how the OneBlade takes care of the pressure? You can't abuse it and nick yourself?

The OneBlade has a pivoting head which is spring-loaded. You simply apply enough pressure that the spring is engaged but not so much as to push it to its limit. Thus, the spring is what is actually supplying the optimal amount of pressure.

With pressure and angle taken care of, you can flail away with complete abandon. I found that I could shave with the OneBlade in about half the time it takes me with any other razor.

I won't say that it is impossible to cut yourself with the OneBlade, but you'd have to really work at it.

--Bob

I agree with Bob that the OneBlade takes all the skill out of shaving. It also becomes very boring. I find it too mild and too boring.

The OneBlade has a pivoting head which is spring-loaded. You simply apply enough pressure that the spring is engaged but not so much as to push it to its limit. Thus, the spring is what is actually supplying the optimal amount of pressure.

With pressure and angle taken care of, you can flail away with complete abandon. I found that I could shave with the OneBlade in about half the time it takes me with any other razor.

I won't say that it is impossible to cut yourself with the OneBlade, but you'd have to really work at it.

--Bob
I do not use it in that way. I do not apply pressure so I don't engage the spring. It happens sometimes, but I would say that 90% of the shave (just to throw a number) is with the spring not engaged. If I use pressure I get a decent shave but not as good as without.

I do not use it in that way. I do not apply pressure so I don't engage the spring. It happens sometimes, but I would say that 90% of the shave (just to throw a number) is with the spring not engaged. If I use pressure I get a decent shave but not as good as without.

The spring-loaded pivoting head is what makes the OneBlade unique. If the spring is not being engaged then it is no different from any other good quality single edge razor.

You're not using the OneBlade like a OneBlade, you're using it like a conventional single edge razor. So, it's not surprising that you experienced a learning curve similar to other single edge razors. Nothing wrong with that, since it seems to be working for you.

--Bob

Top Bottom