What's new

My First Meer Has Arrived-Journal of It's Coloring

Anytime one can combine bourbon and bacon it has to be good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live three hours from SP. I'll have a jar Friday if the post office doesn't screw up.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
And don't forget Hearth & Home Vermont Meat Candy!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very... unless someone developed a "Cheeseburger Aromatic" blend, in which case I guess that added note from the McClelland could be touted as a "feature" of it...
If I smelled someone smoking a cheeseburger aromatic I might hurt them. I was so proud of myself last week eating out with the wife. When our order was taken my brain was screaming "bacon cheeseburger" but my mouth ordered a fairly healthy chicken dish. Oh, do I want a cheeseburger.

And if someone can make a "cheeseburger aromatic" then they should also be able to make a "classic American breakfast aromatic"...how tasty would that be? Especially paired with a Founders Breakfast Stout!!! My mouth is watering for all these fantastical blends [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
How do you guys keep your Meer so clean? Do you not touch the white part?
I just make sure my hands are clean. Some say to not touch the meerschaum because it will affect the coloring. Some even wear a glove. My thinking is that gents 100 years ago didn't run around with smoking gloves, especially the people who made meerschaum popular (the nautical sort). They put tobacco in the bowl and lit it up. I try not to over complicate things.

I just make sure my hands are clean. Some say to not touch the meerschaum because it will affect the coloring. Some even wear a glove. My thinking is that gents 100 years ago didn't run around with smoking gloves, especially the people who made meerschaum popular (the nautical sort). They put tobacco in the bowl and lit it up. I try not to over complicate things.

Same here. I wash my hands and have at it. I tried not to touch the bowl for the first 5 or 6 smokes but after that I kinda quit caring. Some of the real Meer aficionado's would be real upset with me but it's mine and I am happy with it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Same here. I wash my hands and have at it. I tried not to touch the bowl for the first 5 or 6 smokes but after that I kinda quit caring. Some of the real Meer aficionado's would be real upset with me but it's mine and I am happy with it.

I think not touching the bowl while hot for the first 5 or so smokes is a good plan. They (who are "they", anyway, and why do they have so many opinions? :) ) say that it helps the meer more deeply absorb the beeswax, since they just get dipped when made.

I think not touching the bowl while hot for the first 5 or so smokes is a good plan. They (who are "they", anyway, and why do they have so many opinions? :) ) say that it helps the meer more deeply absorb the beeswax, since they just get dipped when made.

You're gonna re-wax it at some point anyway, so I was never too terribly concerned with that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I plan on using the glove on the Baki, for the first few smokes. After then I will lighten up a bit.
I don't blame you at all, and would probably do the same. The only meerschaum I own is fairly inexpensive. When I get a good one I will probably do similarly.

Yeah I'll be honest, I don't really care. I have the exact same pipe as the OP and I treat it badly now. I came to the same conclusion as you Owen. If a dirty old sailor who probably didn't even wax the thing was happy, this guy is fine with it too. To be honest though, I probably only stopped caring because I dropped it one day in the garage. Smokes great still, just looks a little homely.

Top Bottom