What's new

My First Meer Has Arrived-Journal of It's Coloring

My Strambach meer arrived today!!!

I'm going to use this thread to document both it's coloring progression and my enjoyment of it. About to head out for it's first smoke...think it is gonna be Nightcap.

Just finished my first smoke and I enjoyed it, even though I made some mistakes. I packed the bowl a little too tightly, but didn't want to risk damaging the meer by removing it so I went with it. Had a ton of re-lights but that's ok...just meant I smoked longer and read more! I enjoyed the pipe, the Dunhill Nightcap, and I'm sure I will receive even more enjoyment as my progression continues with this particular pipe. I'm already looking forward to a bowl in the morning and I am leaning towards trying Escudo, although to be honest I'm desiring a bowl of Carter Hall, my grandfather's tobacco of choice. Guess I'll sleep on it and see what I'm in the mood for tomorrow!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice, Allen! That's a good pipe that you have there. Great idea with journaling the smoking progression of it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Brian and Erik, thank you both for your comments. I too am looking forward to it's progression and also to my own progression as a Brown Leafer...I've spent far too much time just dabbling here and there and really want to develop both my palette and discover the things that I prefer when it comes to relaxing with a pipe or the occasional cigar and a book. I thought that keeping a running dialogue with myself, recording what I see, taste, and discover would be fun for me and quite possibly be a motivating factor if for some reason I hit a bump in the road or a rut, so to speak. This whole thing might be unbearably boring for someone to read or follow though and if that is the case, I offer my sincerest apologies!

Where the heck are your white gloves and stick of beeswax? That's a meerschaum, not a common piece of wood!

A purist are ye? [emoji6] I've not seen a pair of white gloves since my days in the Army and it's none of your beeswax where my beeswax is hahaha! I'm afraid I might disappoint a lot of Meerschaum aficionados in this journey as I'm truly making this pipe mine, fingerprints and smudges be damned!

Well fine then, I just thought it'd be cooler if you at least pretended to follow
protocol. I don't even own white gloves.

You're definitely in the right place, then. ;)

Thank you, sir! The BL has been somewhat of a Mos Eisley Spaceport in my eyes, you know, cause one "will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" and I for one love it here and offer that quote with the utmost respect and affection!

Sorry, bit of a Star Wars nerd

Just my two cents, go with the grandfather connection as long as you have the time this morning to really sit down and take it all in. I really love the Grandfather connection.
Both of my Grandfather's past when I was very young (8-9 yes old). I recently had my maternal Grandfather's straight razor redone (of course keeping it all original) and only shave with it when I have that kind of time.
I still say to myself when packing a pipe, "you can always pack it more once it's lit". With everything else in life I go with the more is better motto. Lol.

Just my two cents, go with the grandfather connection as long as you have the time this morning to really sit down and take it all in. I really love the Grandfather connection.
Both of my Grandfather's past when I was very young (8-9 yes old). I recently had my maternal Grandfather's straight razor redone (of course keeping it all original) and only shave with it when I have that kind of time.
I still say to myself when packing a pipe, "you can always pack it more once it's lit". With everything else in life I go with the more is better motto. Lol.

Yes sir, I believe I will. I lost my maternal grandfather when I was 10. He was my hero and my first born carries his name. My paternal grandfather and I were not close, unfortunately.

I am lucky to have two of my Pop's pipe racks and several of his pipes. One of his racks includes a wood topped green glass bowl and inside is a dried up pinch of the last of his pipe tobacco. The aroma is faint, but I will on occasion open it up and give it a sniff. I also have one of his shaving brushes and several Old Spice mugs and decanters that belong to him.

Going to finish a cup of joe with the LOTH and then head outside for the Carter Hall. Should be a fine morning indeed.

A purist are ye? [emoji6] I've not seen a pair of white gloves since my days in the Army and it's none of your beeswax where my beeswax is hahaha! I'm afraid I might disappoint a lot of Meerschaum aficionados in this journey as I'm truly making this pipe mine, fingerprints and smudges be damned!

I have this pipe, and there's a big ole thumb print on it from where I always hold the pipe. :lol:

It gives it character.

Well, two smokes in and I'm falling in love. This pipe is far above any other that I own in how it smokes, though admittedly I only own cheap cobs and a Mr. Brog Churchwarden. I do have a Morgan Bones enroute though! This morning I had a bowl of Carter Hall to honor my grandfather. In this photo is one of his pipe racks and the cob with the black stem was his. Inside the green glass bowl is his final bit of tobacco. He passed way in 1994, I was 10 and these items kindle very fond memories. I can only hope my children/grandchildren will one day do the same.

Well, two smokes in and I'm falling in love. This pipe is far above any other that I own in how it smokes, though admittedly I only own cheap cobs and a Mr. Brog Churchwarden. I do have a Morgan Bones enroute though! This morning I had a bowl of Carter Hall to honor my grandfather. In this photo is one of his pipe racks and the cob with the black stem was his. Inside the green glass bowl is his final bit of tobacco. He passed way in 1994, I was 10 and these items kindle very fond memories. I can only hope my children/grandchildren will one day do the same.

Very cool! Was Carter Hall his choice or leaf then as well?

Top Bottom