What's new

Muhle R89 or EJ DE89BA11

I bought the Muhle R89 about 5 years ago. It has been working out fine. The first razor I had bought was a Merkur 34C but I did not like the shave. The R89 was much more comfortable. Does the EJ Barley have the same head and would I expect the same shave?

Yep, as already said, same head different handle. I have that barley edition DE 89, love it.
+1. Barley grip handle is the way to go. DE89 head give a great shave and the extra knurling on the barley grip handle mean that it doesn't feel like it's going to slip out of your hands.

yeah, you're right. If you already have the R89, no sense buying a DE89 as well.

Don't say that. I've got two Mühle R89, one with a regular and one with a rosegold handle, so I can test and compare different blades in the same razor type without changing blades in between. :wink1:

I just got the Muhle R89 and have shaved with it twice so far and the jury is still out as to whether I'm gonna keep it. After years of using an old Gillette my grandad gave me and using the Maggard v3 for the last year or so this thing just doesn't seem to get to the skin. Maybe after a few shaves and getting a better feel for the angle I'll have a different opinion but as of now this thing feels like a weishi butterfly to me.

just put a new Weber Bulldog handle on the R89. I am really liking it! Much better grip and weight. I am actually preferring the shorter handle.

Thanks! Not sure if it makes sense to buy the barley just for the different handle.

just put a new Weber Bulldog handle on the R89. I am really liking it! Much better grip and weight. I am actually preferring the shorter handle.

Right there you just answered your own question. Different handles can make a big difference. Sure, the same head means it won't be a vastly different shave, but different handles change the center of gravity, weight and feel which will also change the shave.

I have a Maggards v3 head which is a de89/R89 clone. On my Maggards MR3 handle, it certainly feels different and gives me a slightly different experience than shaving with my EJ de86 (same as the 89 but with a black handle instead of chrome).

So, if you like the Edwin Jagger, there is no reason not to add it to the Muhle you already have. I probably will buy a Muhle r89 in the future, either the rose gold, Twist, or Grande, heck I'll probably even buy another EJ (a different color, and/or either the short or long handle).

Same head, its all in what handle you like. Personally, I think the R89 Grande is the best version they make, although the DE 89 LBL is a close 2nd.

Top Bottom