What's new

Michiganlover's Straight Adventures!!

It's funny you should mention that....I am left handed, it fells very odd to hold the straight in my right hand. My natural tendency would be to shave both sides of my face left handed, since my left hand is so dominant. :blush:
I am dominant with my left hand as well and have been straight razor shaving with that hand only for years. I have recently, however, been learning to shave with the right hand. At first, I just used the right hand for for WTG passes for the first few days and have progressed to XTG and ATG, which took out much of the hump out of the learning curve.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for reading. :biggrin1:

I find learning the ways of the straight rewarding, and I am progressing forward much faster than I though I would.

When compared to my first fright filled straight shave, I have made leaps, and bounds forward. :drool:

I fully expect the minor nicks, and cuts. I got them for the first few months of DE shaving too, so I can't imagine why one would expect anything different with a Straight Razor.

I am 3 shaves away from the 20 shave milestone, and thus far haven't inflicted any permanent scars (did get a few of those from my mis-adventures with Shavettes), so in that regard I have been very fortunate!! :001_tt2:

Excellent! :thumbup:

Thursday April 15th

Straight Shave #18

Le Grelot 5/8 French point
Schick Type E Injector
Sauve Coconut Conditioner
Omega 21139 boar brush
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another good quality shave in the books. I did draw some blood on my chin, and upper lip, so I decided to finish those off with the injector.

I think I have figured out how to consistently get one of my problem areas smooth: my neck between the jawline, down. I have been DE shaving for 11 months, and that area is always a bit rough. If I pull the skin taught though, I can get a good shave there.

As suspected, this razor also pulled, and sings a bit more than I am used too. I must have dulled it slightly on my nicked strop as well. It will give it a few passes on Ferrous Oxide, and it will be all set to go as well. :tongue_sm

Take care,

John.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm reading too. I just don't like to post very much.

Heading to the big 2-0, it's nice to hear about the quality of your shaves improving. I like your willingness to stick throughm even though the weepers are still coming.

About your odd feelings shaving with your right hand, I would say... don't worry about it. I shave perfectly fine with my right hand only, and many others have stated they shaved quite capably with a single hand, before teaching themselves how to use the other.

Friday April 16th

Straight Shave #19

Schick Type E Injector
20 mm custom badger brush
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another really good shave today. Almost close enough all over to be socially acceptable. I drew blood probably the smallest amount of all of my straight shaves.

Touch-up was only necessary on the part of my checks, where my sideburns would start if I had sideburns (high up on my check, where the sideburn meets the hairline).

Enjoy your weekend,

John.

Saturday April 17th

Straight Shave #20

Schick Type E Injector
Omega 21139 Boar Brush
VDH Deluxe
Witch Hazel
Clubman Bay Rum

I noted early in the week, that I had dulled the Le Grelot by stopping over a large nick in my strop. I decided to see if I could touch it up. I did 10 passes on my Carbonium Barber's Hone. 100 passes on Ferrous Oxide, and 150 passes on Chromium Oxide. Both of these pastes are on a piece of balsa.

The difference is simply phenomenal! No more pulling. No loud singing during the shave either. Feels like it did when I first purchased it.

I had a great quality shave today, except for missing the angle in one spot on my upper lip while doing the XTG pass. Drew significant blood there.

Due to the sharpness of the razor, I didn't get any cuts to my chin!! Woot!! :w00t: That's pretty much a first.

This shave would have been pretty much nick free if not for the upper lip gash. Solid progress I would say.

A note on the Clubman Bay Rum, and VDH deluxe:

I haven't used VDH in a good couple of weeks, and never with a straight razor. Results were quite good, I would say. No razor burn.

The Clubman Bay Rum I decanted into an empty glass Spieck splash bottle. I don't really enjoy it very much, due to the heavy cloves smell. Master's Bay Rum is superior to it.

I figure I will use up the current decanted bottle's worth, and probably never touch it again.

Take care, and enjoy your weekend,

~John~

Sunday April 18th

Straight Shave #21

Schick Type E Injector
20mm custom badger
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Barbasol Brisk

Another really fine quality shave. I think I have gotten to the point, where I can get a repeatable SAS consistently.

I am of course still having some trouble with my upper lip, and draw blood there quite easily. Based upon other reading this is a problem area for quite a few straight shavers.

Used the Injector just for touch-ups by my ear/hairline, and for a couple small hairs on my upper lip.

Take care,

John.

By the way, in case you were wondering, here are a few shots of the 20mm custom Badger Brush.

I had a VDH Boar that I got on the cheap ($2 for the set on clearance at Wal-Mart) I have always like the VDH handle, but the boar knot is of low quality. I had also gotten a 20mm badger knot as part of a trade. I thought they would match perfectly together.

I started to drill out the knot from the VDH handle, and found it's base was fiberglass. Huh?? :001_rolle

After drilling out the knot, I found the hole way too big for my 20mm knot. I had thoughts of epoxying it in, and re-drilling, but then thought that the project might be more costly than it was worth.

I left the project at my father's house; he owns a welding and machine shop, and has multiple lathes. I suspect he got bored, as he decided to turn me an entirely new handle out of a black plastic blank he had laying around. He patterned the handle off of the VDH handle, but this handle is a little smaller.

I love the results, and it's something I cherish since my father made it. :tongue_sm

I think I might term this brush the "VDH Improved Badger".

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I would've suggested a boar instead but, then again, I always suggest a boar.

Which is your favorite razor so far?

I would've suggested a boar instead but, then again, I always suggest a boar.

Which is your favorite razor so far?

I would have went with boar as well, if I didn't already have the Badger knot. :tongue_sm

(I have two badger, and two boar brushes. Of late I tend to prefer the smaller badger, and boar, and if you notice tend to rotate equally between the two.)

As for the Boker, and the Le Grelot. I think they are about equal. I prefer the round point a tad bit more than the French point, but the difference is really minimal. Both are quality razors, that are total beauties. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Tuesday April 20th

Straight Shave #22

Boker 5/8 round point
Omega 21139 Boar brush
1990's era Williams
Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva

Pretty decent shave today.

I think I mixed the Williams a little too wet, which did effect the quality of the shave some. The scent of this Williams is very faint, but I think I detect lemon, and lavender notes. It's much easier to load the brush, and the lather generated is not quite as airy as the current version. It also doesn't evaporate from my face nearly as fast.

Unlike the current rendition, I find this version of Williams to be usable; it's not the creamy goodness of the 1970's era soap, but it's at least usable.

The straight shave today was decently close, and I had no real issues except for drawing blood on my upper lip, and a small cut to the side of my cheek.

Take care,

John.

Wednesday April 21th

Gillette Ball End Tech w/ new Astra
Omega 21139 Boar brush
1990's era Williams
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Vintage Old Spice AS
Old Spice Cologne

Wednesdays are reserved for a special setup: I celebrate going back to the basics; using the low cost products that I started wet shaving with nearly a year ago. :thumbup1:

I have also been testing some 1990's era Vintage Williams another member sent me. The shave with the Tech was a very good quality shave, and I received not a single weeper!! :w00t:

I am having quite a challenge getting the product/water ratio right with the Williams, so the lather was usable, but not quite up to par.

I did WTG, WTG at a slight angle, and XTG passes. I whipped up a batch of T and H rose for my final pass as the Williams lather was not quite up to the task.

This is also the first time I have used skin stretching techniques with my DE razor, and I believe the shave was much better as a result.

While this was a great shave overall, I found myself greatly missing my straight razor; this is the first DE shave in about 2.5-3 weeks. :bored:

Last edited:
I got a phone today that can actually take good quality photos (DROID!!!), so I thought I would post a photo of my two beautiful straights.

The Boker King Cutter 5/8 round point with translucent horn scales is on top.
The Le Grelot 5/8 french point is on the bottom.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thursday April 22th

Straight Razor Shave #23

5/8 Boker King Cutter w/ round point
Omega 21139 Boar brush
1990's era Williams
Witch Hazel
Clubman Bay Rum

I guess the 3rd times the charm. :biggrin1:

On a whim, I decided to soak the entire puck of Williams, as this is the general recommendation for modern Williams. I also used far less water than the previous two days. The resulting lather was of very good quality; quite a bit better than just usable.

I could see this soap being a regular part of my rotation.

The straight shave itself was of very good quality. A couple of weepers, but nothing major. Had to remember to not re-gash open a still healing cut on my upper lip (placed there about a week ago).

The Boker cut really well today, after some touch up on a Barber's Hone, and Ferrous Oxide/ Chromium Oxide. (touch up was necessary after I dulled the blade badly from stropping over a large nick in my strop a week ago).

Take care,

John.

Saturday April 24th

Straight Shave #24

Boker 5/8 w/ round point
Schick Type E Injector
Omega 21139 Boar brush
1990's era Williams
Witch Hazel
Clubman Bay Rum

So this is day 5 of the week of Williams testing. Last day of testing for now. :001_smile

First the positives, the vintage Williams performed equally to the way it has performed the last two days; that is too say it provided me with a pleasing comfortable shave. :thumbup:

The shave itself took a pretty bad downward turn!! :lol:

I have been teaching myself to straight shave for close to a month now, and most of the time I escape pretty much blood free. My upper lip is a major trouble area though, and today I managed a cut that actually took off a good number of layers of skin. It's more like I scraped off the upper 5-10 layers of skin.

Bad cuts like this really **** me off :)mad3::mad3:), so I wanted to immediately bail on the straight shave. I proceeded to finish up my chin with the straight, and then did a final pass over my entire face with the Injector (which I accidentally dropped into the sink of water due to my "elevated emotional state". GARR!! :001_rolle The injector appeared undamaged though).

Enjoy your weekend everyone,

John.

I have been teaching myself to straight shave for close to a month now, and most of the time I escape pretty much blood free. My upper lip is a major trouble area though, and today I managed a cut that actually took off a good number of layers of skin. It's more like I scraped off the upper 5-10 layers of skin

OUCH!! :blink: I've only managed a few nicks and surface slices (so far) but I'm guessing the law of averages will catch up with me :ohmy:

Hope the injector survived okay. I'm resisting the urge to use my DE's after a straight shave, if I know I need to be clean shaven I'm missing the straight and heading for my Tech :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Going good!! :thumbup:

don't worry about the cut too much, I cut myself sometimes too!

Sunday April 25th

Schick Type E Injector
"VDH Improved Badger"
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Seaforth Heather AS

After the significant cut yesterday, I am taking a break from straight shaving today.

Top quality shave today with the Injector; I get flawless shaves with the Injector, but there is no challenge. :lol::lol:

Went out antiquing yesterday, and found a glass bottle of Seaforth Heather AS, for $3. It still has some of the precious liquid left!!

It has a strange green color, and the scent hasn't turned. It's like a less spicy Old Spice, with a heavier musk tone. Yummy smelling stuff!

I will post a photo later. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Here is the photo of this weekend's Antique Store finds (all from the same store too!)

-Gillette Ball End Tech (some pitting on the cap)
-Old Spice Lantern Decanter (empty)
-Old Spice Glass Cologne Bottle (now a matched set with my Aftershave bottle) had about 10% remaining.
-Seaforth Heather After Shave (small amount remaining).
-Pair of manual hair clippers. (fully functional).

$15 for the whole lot. :w00t:

proxy.php

Monday April 26th

Straight Shave #25 (25% of the way to 100!)

Boker 5/8 w/ round point
Schick Type E Injector
Omega #49 Boar brush
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Clubman Bay Rum

A decent quality shave today. Nothing but minor cuts. Really reluctant to shave my upper lip today, as I keep cutting it. :blush:

Despite disliking the Clubman Bay Rum, I am trying to use it down to the 50% point of the glass bottle, so I can cut it 50% with Master's Bay Rum, hopefully over-riding the overpowering cloves smell of the Clubman.

~John~

Top Bottom