What's new

Michiganlover's Straight Adventures!!

It's funny you should mention that....I am left handed, it fells very odd to hold the straight in my right hand. My natural tendency would be to shave both sides of my face left handed, since my left hand is so dominant. :blush:

I thought that as well until I tried it...

What was funny for me was that I was getting a better, closer and more comfortable shave with my non-dominant (left) hand. :huh:

I think it was because I was reluctant/unable to use (too much) pressure with my weaker hand.

...and then this happened to me as well.

1st Straight Shave/ Saturday March 27th 2010

-Restored Le Grelot w/ custom scales
-Penworks 22mm Finest Badger
-Penhaligon's Endymion Shaving Cream (sample)
-C.O. Bigelow Exlir Green ASB

So overall my fist straight shave went extremely well. I decided to go all out, and shave my entire face. The shave certainly wasn't close, but I didn't inflict any major damage to my face, so I will call it a huge success. I got some minor cuts on my chin, and neck area.

For anyone considering a straight, they are nowhere near as fearful as I would have thought. Handle them with care, and you too can have a good 1st experience.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats!

Second Straight Razor Shave. Sunday March 28th 2010

-Restored Le Grelot 5/8 with custom scales
-Omega #21139 Boar Brush
-Vintage Williams Tonsorial Soap
-Generic Witch Hazel
-Vi John Brut Clone
-KMF Unscented (as prep)

Decided to take my vintage Williams Tonsorial for a spin today. It's boatloads of Tallow Goodness, and performs about equal to Tabac. It has none of the horrid smell, or difficult (in my case impossible) to lather traits of the crapified modern day Williams.

Overall this was a nice quality shave, although I did get more weepers than yesterday. I am just learning, and I am totally ok with my results. Not close by any means, but I am ok with that too.

For now, I am just trying to master a WTG pass.

Learning the ways of the straight will be a fun adventure for the next few months.

~John~

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have some vintage Williams Tonsorial that I have yet to try out. I could use that with tomorrows shave. :biggrin1: :thumbup1:

I wouldn't touch the modern crapified Williams with a 1,000,000 foot long pole.

In all seriousness the soaps with tallow really helped me especially at first. Now that my technique is a little better I've been going back to some of my non-tallow favourites.

Third Straight Razor Shave. Tuesday March 30th 2010

-Restored Le Grelot 5/8 with custom scales
-European Palmolive SC
-Generic Witch Hazel
-Aqua Velva
-KMF Unscented (as prep)

Took my Straight for another spin today. I didn't draw very much blood, and using the straight is starting to feel more natural. I think I could really fall in love with shaving this way!!

I just did one pass WTG, and then finished up with one pass with my DE, as I need at least a SAS for work purposes.

I am getting some serious straight razor fever lately. It will have to wait, but until I can get my own setup I will live vicariously through the rest of you guys. Keep the posts and pictures coming! Very nice razor sir!
Same boat as you Brother
1st Straight Shave/ Saturday March 27th 2010

-Restored Le Grelot w/ custom scales
-Penhaligon's Endymion Shaving Cream (sample)
-C.O. Bigelow Exlir Green ASB

So overall my fist straight shave went extremely well. I decided to go all out, and shave my entire face. The shave certainly wasn't close, but I didn't inflict any major damage to my face, so I will call it a huge success. I got some minor cuts on my chin, and neck area.

For anyone considering a straight, they are nowhere near as fearful as I would have thought. Handle them with care, and you too can have a good 1st experience.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Great encouragement Thanks
Fellas!!!! We hooked another one!

Hooked one here also.:001_smile

Just thought I would give a quick update:

I have been using my Straight Razor on a near daily basis, and getting much more comfortable with it. I am not nearly as fearful of it as I was during my first shave, and while I am nowhere near approaching a close shave, the various angles of usage are starting to feel more normal/ natural to me.

I also picked up a second straight from Larry at Whipped Dog (a 5/8 round point of unknown manufacture), along with a honing kit, and barber's hone. I have also purchased a Bismarck 1067 Straight for a mere $21 shipped off the Bay.

I even figured out how to shave my upper lip, without hacking it to pieces.

The hardest area to shave so far, is the area where my sideburns would be; I have no sideburns, so I thus have to shave an area that most people can skip over.

Take care,

John.

Keep at it Sir....good progress!

I'm there with you in my journey as well....using a str8 every day now with DE for touch ups!

Keep at it Sir....good progress!

I'm there with you in my journey as well....using a str8 every day now with DE for touch ups!

I am doing the DE touch ups too. The straight is removing quite a bit of hair, as I just need to do a quick one pass WTG shave, to have very acceptable close results. :thumbup:

If I was doing DE only, I would need 3 passes to achieve the same results.

So yesterdays Straight shave went very well. I escaped entirely blood free!! (that's a first).

Today's straight shave not so good. I violated the cardinal rule of straight shaving, and moved the blade horizontally across my chin, giving myself about a inch long gash that bled quite well for about 15 minutes!! ACK!!

I am clearly still learning the tricks of the trade, but I am making progress.

I will probably take a few days off to heal!! :laugh::laugh:

Hang in there John. I had a day like that last week....still have a shave bump that wont go away. This str8 journey is clearly going to take time!

Hang in there John. I had a day like that last week....still have a shave bump that wont go away. This str8 journey is clearly going to take time!

I am happy with my results so far, and know learning the ways of the straight will take quite a bit of time. I think I am making solid progress, and am not really discouraged. Perhaps a bit mad at myself for being sloppy. :001_rolle

Although I do wonder if it's worth inflicting scars to my face to learn to shave this way. :ohmy::ohmy:

Today's straight shave not so good. I violated the cardinal rule of straight shaving, and moved the blade horizontally across my chin, giving myself about a inch long gash that bled quite well for about 15 minutes!! ACK!!

I am clearly still learning the tricks of the trade, but I am making progress.

I will probably take a few days off to heal!! :laugh::laugh:

So I decided not to take a few days off, and just shave around my "mistake". It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Shave today was quite good, just one WTG pass, and a DE touchup. Didn't draw any blood.

By the way, in addition to my 5/8 Le Grelot w/ french point, I also pulled the trigger on a 5/8 Boker King Cutter w/ round tip from the b/s/t. I can't wait for it to show up!!

Tomorrow I think I will do my cleanup with a Schick Injector; I found a pack of the Chinese actual Schick Injector blades locally!!

Last edited:
Are you contemplating a hone yet? All this talk of coti this or coti that...

I jumped on a already lapped barbers from gugi about a month back and havent needed to use it yet....I really dont need a coti but want one for some damn reason (probably because my best shave to date has been a coti honed blade).

Ahhh...the makings of HAD and I haven't even honed my first razor!

Are you contemplating a hone yet? All this talk of coti this or coti that...

I jumped on a already lapped barbers from gugi about a month back and havent needed to use it yet....I really dont need a coti but want one for some damn reason (probably because my best shave to date has been a coti honed blade).

Ahhh...the makings of HAD and I haven't even honed my first razor!

I am not ready to commit that kind of coin yet (nor can I presently afford it).

I have a Barber's Hone I bought from Larry Andro, and his "poor man's strop kit" which has a piece of balsa with a different paste on each side. I should be able to keep my straights functional for quite awhile (I hope).

My new Illinois Strop should hopefully be here by the end of the week. :thumbup:

I am not ready to commit that kind of coin yet (nor can I presently afford it).

I have a Barber's Hone I bought from Larry Andro, and his "poor man's strop kit" which has a piece of balsa with a different paste on each side. I should be able to keep my straights functional for quite awhile (I hope).

My new Illinois Strop should hopefully be here by the end of the week. :thumbup:

Everyone I've spoken with says the barbers will be fine too...I dont have any pasted strops or anything myself. The variables in the honing alone will keep folks busy for years figuring out what works I'm afraid!

Although I do wonder if it's worth inflicting scars to my face to learn to shave this way.

Ah, but just think how it will add to that rugged look the ladies love. :biggrin1::001_tt2:

Lightness of touch . . .

Try a tallow soap . . . you choose which one.

My largest problem area so far is my lower neck. I don't think I am using a huge amount of pressure, but they still come out irritated from the straight shave.

I am not getting my upper lip, or chin very close either, but I expect that at this point in the game.

As for tallow soaps, I think I have about five choices in my den:

Tabac, Vintage Williams, P160, Cella, Prairie Creations. I tend to use shaving creams more often, and I am presently working through some TOBS Rose, and T and H Rose. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I had that problem on my cheeks a bit as well. I found by flattening out the angle it helped to reduce the irritation. I have a goatee, so can't help you on the chin or lip area.

Top Bottom