What's new

Michiganlover's Straight Adventures!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My largest problem area so far is my lower neck. I don't think I am using a huge amount of pressure, but they still come out irritated from the straight shave.

I am not getting my upper lip, or chin very close either, but I expect that at this point in the game.

As for tallow soaps, I think I have about five choices in my den:

Tabac, Vintage Williams, P160, Cella, Prairie Creations. I tend to use shaving creams more often, and I am presently working through some TOBS Rose, and T and H Rose. :biggrin1:

Well for me what made a heck of a big difference was, and it will sound obvious and you will think you know it already . . . make your intention to shave the beard off your face . . . I was trying hard to take all my beard off my face in one pass . . . . so I pressed hard . . .never drew blood . . .

I do four passes now . . . just trying to catch the beard . . . and it is working wonders

Wednesday April 7th

Let call this Straight Shave #10, sounds about right. :biggrin1:

Le Grelot 5/8 w/ French Point
Schick Type E Injector
Sauve Coconut Conditioner
20mm custom Badger Brush
TOBS Rose SC
Vintage Old Spice AS
Vintage Old Spice Cologne

Nice quality shave today. Just a couple of minor weepers. I am getting quite comfortable with my WTG pass, so I decided to try some XTG. I can do XTG on my chin quite easily, just using the point of the blade, but XTG on my checks feels strange.

Also, I don't have the irritation on my lower neck today, that was persisting throughout much of last week.

Overall a good quality shave. :001_tt2:

Wow, looks like you're well & truly addicted :thumbup:

I found the chin area tough as well; what seemed to work was a gentle scything motion.

Sounds like it is really coming together for you. Would you say your experience with DE shaving has helped you make the transition? Or maybe since you have all the prep, lathering, etc. already down it has let you really focus on the actual shaving part?

Good to hear the straight journey is going well for you.
I gotta mess around with that Wrisley a bit more to see if I can get the lather that everyone raves about.

Sounds like it is really coming together for you. Would you say your experience with DE shaving has helped you make the transition? Or maybe since you have all the prep, lathering, etc. already down it has let you really focus on the actual shaving part?

DE shaving has taught me my beard growth pattern, and which directions I can shave without causing irritation.

Most certainly, not having to learn prep, and proper lathering has given me a huge advantage over a newbie to whom everything about this way of shaving is brand new.

So to a pretty large degree I would say the learning curve is probably not nearly as steep for me, as it has been for others.

Sounds like my straight razor learning experience is paralleling yours. It was after the 10th shave that things started to come together. I am still learning how to approach the beard grain/razor stroke situations that are inherent to straight shaving but, things are getting much easier. I am right handed and never thought I could use my left hand for such an intricate task but, after tearing myself up trying to use my right for everything, I switched to my left on my left side and everything went great! :001_smile
I agree with you about this style of shaving being very appealing and I'm not sure how often I will be using my SE's and DE's during the week. The RAD has kicked in and I'm up to 7 straights now. (I have to stop!) :w00t:

Thursday April 8th

Straight Shave #11

Le Grelot 5/8 w/ French Point
Schick Type E Injector
20mm custom Badger Brush
TOBS Lavender SC
Witch Hazel
Barbasol Brisk

Overall shave quality today was vastly improved. I did a WTG pass, and a XTG pass. Shave almost felt close enough to be acceptable without the XTG touch-up from the Injector. Overall amount of time spent shaving is also remaining the same 20-30 minutes. Just a few minor nicks to my upper lip today.

I am supremely happy with my results so far.

My Bismark/Illinois strop came in yesterday (and I proceeded to promptly nick it!! DOH!! :blush:), hopefully my 5/8 Boker King Cutter w/ round point comes in today. Yay!! :tongue_sm

Congrats! You'll have to tell us how the Boker works out. That's on my list of razors to pick up. :biggrin1:

Friday April 9th

Straight Shave #12

Boker King Cutter 5/8 w/ round point
Schick Type E Injector
20mm custom Badger Brush
TOBS Lavender SC
Witch Hazel
Barbasol Brisk

The Boker came in, and it is total work of art. The scales are beautiful.

Shave today was the best straight shave so far. I did WTG on my entire face, and then XTG everywhere as well. Just about everywhere was reasonably close, except for my chin.

My lower neck is probably the closest it's ever been. My lower neck has always been a problem area; and with a DE I always feel stubble there. I also generate irritation there quite easily. No irritation today, so I am very pleased.

Have a great weekend,

John.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. Seems like you are picking it up exceptionally quick. Congrats!

(Also, nice Boker!)

I am right there with you. I am on shave 10 or so and i am experiencing the same things as you are. My neck was always pretty scruffy with a DE, but much closer with my straight. My overall shave is pretty decent, but I am still touching up my chin a good bit with my DE. I figure it will come with time. ... Haven't started my ATG pass yet...

Saturday April 10th

Straight Shave #13

Boker King Cutter 5/8 w/ round point
Trac II w/ 24K Gold handle :w00t:
20mm custom Badger Brush
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Musk

I set out today to "shave the beard off of my face" as recommended in a post above. I wanted to make it my goal to not really need to do the touch ups with a secondary razor.

I did a WTG pass, and a XTG pass.

Results were acceptable except in a few minor regions: the side of my cheek where check meets ear, and the left side of my neck under my jaw line near my ear.

Did accidentally slice into my right ear by getting a little over zealous. No big deal, it didn't bleed much at all. :lol:

I did some additional work on my lower neck, and that was good to go.

Decided to use the Trac II for the touch up by my ears, mostly because the handle showed up in an E-Bay lot yesterday, and I wanted to take it for a quick spin: it's a heavy all brass handle,that is plated with 24k gold.

Overall, great results today!!

Enjoy your weekend,

John.

P.S. This is the first time I have used Aqua Velva Musk, and likely the last. YUCK!! The smell is way too strong, and overpowering.

Sunday April 11th

Straight Shave #14

Le Grelot 5/8 w/ french point
Schick Type E Injector
Omega 21139 Boar Brush
Old Spice SS
Witch Hazel
Vintage Old Spice AS
Old Spice Cologne

I decided to take my newly acquired Old Spice shaving soap for a spin. I got it from holli4pirating/ Dylan for a very good price. Again thanks for a great deal!

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the product overall. Sure it's a good tallow based soap, but I don't think it's any better than Tabac, and based upon first round of testing, I would say I actually like vintage Williams more. It's certainly in no way, shape, or form worth the $75 price it recently commanded on E-Bay!! It was quick to produce a rich, creamy lather, with little effort.

I'll probably try it out for about a week, and then post it to the b/s/t.

The shave today was quite good. I am trying to avoid using my backup razor if at all possible; today I needed it just for a couple small problem areas. (the area by my ear, and my upper neck by the jaw line). A couple of small nicks to my upper lip, and to my chin.

I think I am progressing along quite well, and greatly enjoying this new adventure. I count myself blessed, that I have had a minimal amount of bloodshed in this new adventure.

Take care, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. :001_tongu

~John~

Last edited:
Monday April 12th

Straight Shave #15

Boker King Cutter 5/8 round point
Schick Type E Injector
20mm custom Finest Badger
Old Spice SS
Witch Hazel
Clubman Bay Rum

I was a little pressed for time this morning, so I just did 1 pass WTG with the straight, and a XTG with the Injector. Got a few more weepers than normal. :001_unsur

2nd round of testing with the vintage Old Spice Shaving Soap is about the same as the first. I am just not hugely impressed with it. :confused1

It will be going to the B/S/T later today for a very good price!!

~John~

Tuesday April 13th

Straight Shave #16

T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Barbasol Brisk

Having showered the night before, I had time for a nice leisurely shave this morning. I was able to complete my entire shave without need for the secondary razor touch-ups. It's even a fairly close shave; not perfect but certainly passable. :biggrin1:

I did get a few nicks/weepers but at this point in my journey, I expect that to happen.

Overall I am having a lot of fun on this adventure.

Wednesday April 14th

Straight Shave #17

T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Vintage Old Spice AS
Old Spice Cologne

I think today is the best results so far. I thought the shave was going really well until I nicked my upper lip really well. Other than that just minor nicks, and my chin, and upper lip are nicely shaved.

I did a WTG pass, and XTG pass all over, and then touch ups are needed.

Did notice yesterday that the Boker seemed to be pulling, and singing louder than usual. I placed a pretty significant nick/slice in my Bismark/Illinois Strop right after receiving it (DOH :blushing::blushing:) , and this must have dulled the blade when stropping over that area. A quick touch up on some ferrous oxide pasted balsa, and she was good to go again!!

I think I will continue this blog daily until shave 20-22. :001_tongu

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm still reading! No need to stop at 20 or 22!

The few nicks are 'normal' I think. Good to see that you are positive about them!

I'm still reading! No need to stop at 20 or 22!

The few nicks are 'normal' I think. Good to see that you are positive about them!

Thanks for reading. :biggrin1:

I find learning the ways of the straight rewarding, and I am progressing forward much faster than I though I would.

When compared to my first fright filled straight shave, I have made leaps, and bounds forward. :drool:

I fully expect the minor nicks, and cuts. I got them for the first few months of DE shaving too, so I can't imagine why one would expect anything different with a Straight Razor.

I am 3 shaves away from the 20 shave milestone, and thus far haven't inflicted any permanent scars (did get a few of those from my mis-adventures with Shavettes), so in that regard I have been very fortunate!! :001_tt2:

Top Bottom