What's new

Lupo stainless?

I got my EJ 3one6 for less than the cost of a Lupo and really really like it. I can't see a Lupo or Game Changer replacing it. Had I not scored the 3one6 at a good price out of Ireland, I probably would have a Lupo today. I'm sure it is a good razor but, it isn't the only premium stainless option at a good price. Even a gently used Muhle Rocca is in this price range frequently which is another really good razor IMHO.

Glad you get great shaves with your 3one6 and found it at a good price. Retail wise, the 3one6 is still more expensive over any of the Lupo’s. As a point of entry for one that is entering into premium alloy territory, the Lupo series is still arguably the best bang for your buck razor. First, the Lupo is a fully CNC machined razor and not a mix of CNC & MIM cast production. Not faulting MIM manufacturing but, there is better consistency and much tighter tolerances from CNC machining over MIM casting especially when EJ decided to use casting on perhaps the most important part of the razor, the base plate. Risky decision but, so far it has worked for them. I can’t speak to you intelligently concerning the EJ 3one6 and its shaving attributes as I’ve never shaved with one and do not see myself in the foreseeable future acquiring one.

But, glad that it has established itself as your go too razor and it provides awesome shaves for you. :thumbup1:

MIM is controversial in the gun world too! Done right it is as good as or better in some cases than machined parts.

In any case, my EJ 3one6 is one of my most used DE razors and I have several really good ones to choose from. That doesn't mean a Lupo or Game Changer won't find its way to me via BST.

MIM is controversial in the gun world too! Done right it is as good as or better in some cases than machined parts.

In any case, my EJ 3one6 is one of my most used DE razors and I have several really good ones to choose from. That doesn't mean a Lupo or Game Changer won't find its way to me via BST.

:thumbup:

My serious 'carry guns' have all had the 'Ignition System' MIM parts removed and replaced with HS Tool Steel. I don't trust 'sintered metal' parts when my life is at stake. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1
A bit 'old school' from the early days when MIM was a quality control problem for Colt and others. MIM is widely used and in some cases better than High-Speed Tool Steel.

A bit like saying someone doesn't trust Glock or HK because they don't like "Tupperware" or plastic pistols. If the SHTF, I'm fine with a Glock personally and prefer it generally over a good tool steel 1911. I will still take my Knight Armament rifles over a plastic HK G-36! The MP-5 is awesome if you are into tight CQB since the MP-7 is a non-option for US civilians.

There are real differences between cheap plastic pistols and quality options from companies like HK and Glock. The same is true for MIM parts as well. Just look into Aviation and Military applications!

3one6 is a great razor. I had one for a year or so before parting with it. Kept my Rocca. The Lupo shaves differently than the 3one6 with a bit more blade feel while remaining smooth. It’s different enough that if you ever wanted one it wouldn’t necessarily be a duplicate of what you already have. I would suggest the Lupo 95 to compete with the 3one6 if you ever decide to go down the Lupo road.

3one6 is a great razor. I had one for a year or so before parting with it. Kept my Rocca. The Lupo shaves differently than the 3one6 with a bit more blade feel while remaining smooth. It’s different enough that if you ever wanted one it wouldn’t necessarily be a duplicate of what you already have. I would suggest the Lupo 95 to compete with the 3one6 if you ever decide to go down the Lupo road.

Which Lupo are you using? How does it compare to your Muhle Rocca?

Which Lupo are you using? How does it compare to your Muhle Rocca?
I have the 95 closed comb Lupo. I would say the Lupo is just a tad more efficient with a bit more blade feel compared to the Rocca. End results are very close though. The Lupo is more prone to bite than the 3one6 or Rocca. I found the Rocca and 3one6 to shave very similar to each other. The Lupo is different in feel. Since I bought the Vintage Thin Bar handle, the Lupo has turned into a great razor. It has a very light head so normal handles make it too handle heavy for my liking. This new lighter weight handle is just right and I now enjoy using the Lupo.

If you like some blade feel, high efficiency, and close shaves the Lupo 95 is a great razor for the money. It took me some getting used to, but I have grown to really like it. It can also be used daily without irritation….just have to watch the pressure.

A really nice early morning shave with the Lupo .72 OC. I’ve been using it with a 3 blade rotation of Bic Chrome Platinum’s, Gillette Super Platinum’s & Gillette Minora’s. And each give excellent feel and cutting ability while maintaining a smoothness that just augments the shave capabilities of the Lupo. Regardless of the pass phase one is in whether ATG, XTG and WTG, the Lupo .72 OC just delivers a consistent action of cutting whiskers efficiently with ease of use and ease of feel on skin. Well, I say that with the reservation that this is my own personal experience with this iteration of the Lupo. I can count on one hand the mishaps or when irritation creeped up on me while using this razor and I’d still have a couple fingers leftover to grab my coffee cup.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Razorock/ItalianBarber nailed it with this series of razors in the Lupo Line up. Value, precision, quality and performance that nearly anyone can afford. One gets their money’s worth, have their cake and eat it too.

07785352-FDC8-46E7-BFED-89566B564ECB.jpeg

A really nice early morning shave with the Lupo .72 OC. I’ve been using it with a 3 blade rotation of Bic Chrome Platinum’s, Gillette Super Platinum’s & Gillette Minora’s. And each give excellent feel and cutting ability while maintaining a smoothness that just augments the shave capabilities of the Lupo. Regardless of the pass phase one is in whether ATG, XTG and WTG, the Lupo .72 OC just delivers a consistent action of cutting whiskers efficiently with ease of use and ease of feel on skin.
Excellent shave report. I had a beautiful shave this morning with the 0.72 OC and instead of typing down all of my thoughts I just can add a "+1" to your post @GlazedBoker.

Your findings absolutely nail it!

20230911_194624.jpeg
PS: a Nacet works just fine, too 👍

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Excellent shave report. I had a beautiful shave this morning with the 0.72 OC and instead of typing down all of my thoughts I just can add a "+1" to your post @GlazedBoker.

Your findings absolutely nail it!

View attachment 1716550PS: a Nacet works just fine, too 👍

This razor continues to impress me. So smooth and easy to use. With a good blade, the shave experience is hard to beat.

I posed a question earlier today to Italian Barber on the topic of potential availability of a Titanium made Lupo sometime in the near future. Though the answer was not a definitive confirmation that a Ti Lupo is being worked on, they did acknowledge the fact that there is a demand for exotic alloy razors especially in Titanium. Cost would be a major issue but, that’s a given plus IB’s ability to keep SS Lupo’s availbe and in stock is another factor. If it’s going to happen and I’m betting on that it will be done, ‘24 looks like the year a an Exotic Lupo. Fingers crossed…. :ihih:

A copy and paste from his email answer below.

Re: New customer message on September 29, 2023 at 10:12 am

Augustin,

Thanks for your email and the kind words. We are trying very hard to add some titanium options to our razors and we are trying to make it happen in 2024 as there is definitely a demand for them. Unfortunately, machining Titanium is more difficult and more expensive and we already have a really hard time keeping all the Stainless steel options in stock. Let's hope we can make it happen in the future...we will definitely try our best.

Thanks for your business and have a great rest of your day.

Kind Regards,

Michael
The RazoRock & ItalianBarber Team

A really nice early morning shave with the Lupo .72 OC. I’ve been using it with a 3 blade rotation of Bic Chrome Platinum’s, Gillette Super Platinum’s & Gillette Minora’s. And each give excellent feel and cutting ability while maintaining a smoothness that just augments the shave capabilities of the Lupo. Regardless of the pass phase one is in whether ATG, XTG and WTG, the Lupo .72 OC just delivers a consistent action of cutting whiskers efficiently with ease of use and ease of feel on skin. Well, I say that with the reservation that this is my own personal experience with this iteration of the Lupo. I can count on one hand the mishaps or when irritation creeped up on me while using this razor and I’d still have a couple fingers leftover to grab my coffee cup.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Razorock/ItalianBarber nailed it with this series of razors in the Lupo Line up. Value, precision, quality and performance that nearly anyone can afford. One gets their money’s worth, have their cake and eat it too.

View attachment 1694239
Having a Lupo 95 already in my possession, do you recommend this 72oc for shaving every other day? or is it better to take the 72 closed plate?

Having a Lupo 95 already in my possession, do you recommend this 72oc for shaving every other day? or is it better to take the 72 closed plate?

Hard to say amigo. I don’t know your shaving traits or habits, have neither a clue on your skin tolerance and shave technique. As a generalization, the .72 will give one the lighter feel on skin in terms of blade feel yet it exhibits very good cutting ability. The OC version of the .72 should amp up the blade feel while not giving up to much in comfort in the process. At least that has been my experience. I can shave daily with all iterations of the Lupo as I’m accustomed to each of the nuances and can adjust/adapt my technique to get the most and best out of them without causing me any irritation or discomfort on a daily basis. Again, the variables play huge here because every user/shaver is different compounded by the fact that set ups are so vast and vary from user to user.

All I can tell you is experiment while changing one aspect or variable at a time and hone in on your technique which will account for about 80% of your results on a daily basis. The other 20% is a combination of your hardware & software plus what you would consider satisfactory for your particular shaving needs & tolerances.

I know, my response is vague at best but, I can’t tell you what will work best for you based on my personal shave experience. First hand experience is THE BEST TEACHER, hands down. Grab your tools, get busy with your routine and have some shave fun.

Good Luck my friend….:thumbup1:

Hard to say amigo. I don’t know your shaving traits or habits, have neither a clue on your skin tolerance and shave technique. As a generalization, the .72 will give one the lighter feel on skin in terms of blade feel yet it exhibits very good cutting ability. The OC version of the .72 should amp up the blade feel while not giving up to much in comfort in the process. At least that has been my experience. I can shave daily with all iterations of the Lupo as I’m accustomed to each of the nuances and can adjust/adapt my technique to get the most and best out of them without causing me any irritation or discomfort on a daily basis. Again, the variables play huge here because every user/shaver is different compounded by the fact that set ups are so vast and vary from user to user.

All I can tell you is experiment while changing one aspect or variable at a time and hone in on your technique which will account for about 80% of your results on a daily basis. The other 20% is a combination of your hardware & software plus what you would consider satisfactory for your particular shaving needs & tolerances.

I know, my response is vague at best but, I can’t tell you what will work best for you based on my personal shave experience. First hand experience is THE BEST TEACHER, hands down. Grab your tools, get busy with your routine and have some shave fun.

Good Luck my friend….:thumbup1:
No, it was pure curiosity
I usually use,Blackbird,Karve plate F or G,Lupo 95,Wolfman wr2 1.35 or 1.55 on this efficiency level
So I think a 72OC is superfluous

Thank you for your opinion👌

Last edited:
Been using the DC a lot lately, and still love that razor. Actually been playing with moving more towards riding the cap instead of the base, and while it is "riskier", I am getting really good first pass results WTG.

Top Bottom