What's new

Looking To Buy a Flea Market Razor? Look Here!

If the blade is etched or stamped stainless or some translation of it, it's stainless ( they usually say it)
So this Filharmonica 14 is carbon steel? I know its rusty but stainless steel rusts overtime aswell. What sort of defect or flaw does this blade has judging by this pictures?
$Screenshot_2016-03-05-23-12-02-1.jpg$Screenshot_2016-03-05-23-12-15-1.jpg

i think the only fili that is stainless is the tridur inox 13, the rest are carbon iirc.

that 14 has been seriously shortened, so the grind doesnt act the same anymore, the full size is a half hollow with a very thin flexxy edge, this will probably be a bit more stiff. to accommodate the width change, the spine needs to be thinned too.

looks like a bit of uneven spine wear. the heel needs reprofiling imo.

it'll shave fine when prepped appropriately, but thats a really rough specimen that'll never win a beauty contest no matter what you do.

i think the only fili that is stainless is the tridur inox 13, the rest are carbon iirc.

that 14 has been seriously shortened, so the grind doesnt act the same anymore, the full size is a half hollow with a very thin flexxy edge, this will probably be a bit more stiff. to accommodate the width change, the spine needs to be thinned too.

looks like a bit of uneven spine wear. the heel needs reprofiling imo.

it'll shave fine when prepped appropriately, but thats a really rough specimen that'll never win a beauty contest no matter what you do.

I didn't noticed that it was shortened and youre right, it would probably take too much work to reset the bevel again especially when it would be my first time.
Another I've been looking at:
$212.jpg

But there is so many, how can I filter the crappy ones from good?

Two razors that were sent off to Alfredo aka Doc226 for restore work. Both were purchased off Ebay and had ivory scales. I think I was focused on the ivory and missed the fact both razors had bevels up to the stablizer. The CVH was dead, no possibility of surgery. The Russel & Jackson could have part of the stablizer removed, but I opted to pass and keep it simply for donor ivory scales in the future.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 279
  • $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 285
  • $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 281
That's not a hone worn razor that's actually a straight razor just for mustaches

Actually I'm not sure for mustaches but I know they were ground that way for a reason

Really?? It looks like a food prep knife lol. Probably threw me off since they described it as though it was a normal SR

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That's not a hone worn razor that's actually a straight razor just for mustaches

Actually I'm not sure for mustaches but I know they were ground that way for a reason
That's a corn razor...for cutting corns off your feet.

Just found this on Etsy for $11 lol

View attachment 697700

While it would not be favorable for your face, I don't think it was intended for that purpose. I think that particular implement has removed a tonsil or two in its time. F.A. Clauberg even produced the Tonsorial Gem, in recognition of a time when barbers did more than hair and whiskers.

For $11, you might want a tangible piece of history.

if you run across one of these:
proxy.php

(I believe that is "Pakistan" that got rubbed away), you should likely give it a pass, unless you want to have some steel to break-in some hones or the like. I bought it a couple years ago cuz it was a bigger blade and about 10 bucks. Who knows, I still haven't tried (much) to hone it, as it came in broken scales and it hasn't been high on the scaling/honing priority list.

I bought one of those ($5.00) Double Arrow Chinese wonders and was convinced it was useless. Krodor showed me otherwise. He took that thing and turned it into one slick shave machine. Not the prettiest tool in town, but it works as well or better than some of my more "Upscale" blades. Don't necessarily diss that razor. Check this out....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...take-an-edge?p=5305095&highlight=#post5305095
I have one of these that is one of the best shavers I own. Think I also paid five bucks for mine at an auction house.

I NEVER buy straights or strops on line. Just a bad idea unless you are friends with the seller & still make sure they will take it back if it SUX! Good ones are out there I have a knife guy friend that set's up at a big local flea market & he always has a razor or two for less that $20.00 that are in great shape. Get to know the dealers & always be on the look out. Never know what you will find.

Slawman

I have one of these that is one of the best shavers I own. Think I also paid five bucks for mine at an auction house.
My Double Arrow is one of my best shavers. I got it at a flea market along with other straights & who ever had it before me knew how to hone & strop. About the only razor I have bought that didn't need stropped before I tried it!

Slawman

Top Bottom