What's new

Looking To Buy a Flea Market Razor? Look Here!

$HungarianPuma.JPG

The blade broke off as I tried to sand off defects... very bad business. I will still take advantage of the celluloid scales after serious cleaning....

proxy.php

Nice example of cell rot. The scales look good but they would be deadly

I was the fool who bought this.... It broke as I tried to sand away chips. Scales still need sterilization under medical scope... to be reused in a nice french NOS blade in which they put a buttery scales that "melted" under strong soap and tooth brush....

I was the fool who bought this.... It broke as I tried to sand away chips. Scales still need sterilization under medical scope... to be reused in a nice french NOS blade in which they put a buttery scales that "melted" under strong soap and tooth brush....

I don't think you want to reuse those scales, they are the source of the problem.

Thanks, but even if I clean and sterilize them......??????

The damage to the blade comes from an acidic gas let out of light colored celluloid after many years. Look at the pattern of corrosion compared to the light patches of the scales-they nearly perfectly match. Another blade put in these scales would be exposed to the same gas which would lead to the same kind of corrosion. See the relatively corrosion-free area under the words puma-inbox? It matches up with the area of dark celluloid around the inlay on the scales. Putting another blade, especially a new old stock blade, in these scales would be tragic.

I have to admit, I can't take credit for the observation linking the light/translucent celluloid to the worst cell rot-- bill Ellis wrote about it on his blog with a very similar razor. Throw away the scales. As pretty as they are, the are not fit for use

Last edited:
Sterilizing won't make any difference - the degradation of the scale material wasn't caused by bacteria.

Sadly, those scales are only fit for the trash now.

@Chaloney @Oscroft... Wonderful... I was just about to use a NOS blade on them....!!!!!!!!
It will give me more reasons to venture into some personal plans to make new scales..... (it will envolve foamy rubber and polyester resin.... )

I'm on the verge of trying my hand at straights and have passed on many of them at flea markets and antique shops because of my lack of knowledge so this thread is really helpful, thanks!

I used to have a straight, but never really knew much about them. I've been interested in picking one back up for a while now, but can't seem to find any decent ones for not much money. This thread has been very helpful as to telling me what to look for and avoid.

I feel like flea bay sellers often just pile buzzwords into their descriptions to pull in more searches. I don't usually believe them unless it's a seller I trust.

Had to share this. It's a buy it now on ebay for 135.00. It's listed as a Bartmann 170 7/8. Can you tell what's wrong with that description?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,180
Top Bottom