What's new

Kaweco

Has anyone ever used a Kaweco Sport? I'm looking for a pen to slip into pants pocket on the occasions I don't wear a blazer or suit coat. My EDC is a Lamy Safari in matte black, but I've heard good things about the Kaweco and want another option from time to time.

I have a couple of Sports and like them. Especially with Kaweco inks. They are a bit short for totally comfortable use.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's a perfectly fine pen to use. Personally, I like a pen with a little more heft and size, so I don't carry my Sport all too often. I prefer the added clip to keep it from sliding around or getting lost in one of my pockets. My medium nib writes well and is fairly smooth.

I have only had one, the nib was poor and ink flow very unreliable, sold it and never bought another.

Personally I would be very wary of any fountain pen that was for pants pockets, Kaweco make a small ball point pen which would be bterr for me, or even a Fischer space pen.

May have just been a case of setting it up Doug, in those days my talent for nib adjustment was impeded by my abilities.

Love mine. Slips into the pocket easily, writes smooth and looks great...

$2016-07-29 at 00-00-00.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a couple and like them. A skyline sport with an EF nib, and an AL sport with a medium nib. I like the AL for it's added heft and feel; I like the skyline because I can eyedropper it and carry a ton of ink.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No issues with my Kaweco Sport, smooth writing nib. Can't beat it for pants pocket carry.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pretty beat up but anything would be after living in my front pants pocket with keys, coins, and pocket knives. Reliable little buggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's part of the appeal for me. I don't mind having a beat up pen for EDC. In another year or so (post-law school) I'll find something a little nicer for work. I'm leaning towards a Pilot Vanishing Point. But for now, I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on a Kaweco.

Can anyone chime in with the merits of a clip on one of these? Does it catch on stuff in your pocket, or make it too bulky? Is it useful at all?

Pretty beat up but anything would be after living in my front pants pocket with keys, coins, and pocket knives. Reliable little buggers.

But for now, I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on a Kaweco. Can anyone chime in with the merits of a clip on one of these? Does it catch on stuff in your pocket, or make it too bulky? Is it useful at all?

I love the clips. They work perfectly - not too weak - and add a definite extra something to the look of the pen - just match the clip color to the nib color. When I'm writing I line up the clip with the top of the nib and it keeps the clip out of the way of my fingers when I hold the pen.

:sailor:

I have two, one Sport and an AL Sport. Both with a fine nib. Perfect for notes, but I don´t like them for longer writing sessions.
I carry the AL Sport in my pocket and have no problems.

Decent value for money. Interesting history. You might also consider the Kaweco Lilliput, which is very light, as well as pocketable. It is offered in some distinctive finishes, too.

I've had a Kaweco Ice Sport for several years. I keep it eyedropper-filled (a dab of silicone grease on the threads is all it needs) and it is my regular pocket companion. I have never had an issue with it...it writes well, has never leaked a drop of ink, and is about as sturdy as a plastic pen can be. Mine is ugly, scratched, and beat up, but it never fails to do exactly what I ask of it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think that's part of the appeal for me. I don't mind having a beat up pen for EDC.

Can anyone chime in with the merits of a clip on one of these? Does it catch on stuff in your pocket, or make it too bulky? Is it useful at all?

I have several Kaweco sports and am very happy. They eyedropper nicely if you don't get the aluminium one (metal pens don't take kindly to eyedroppering.)

IIRC, the "sport" has gold-coloured accents and the "ice sport" has silver-coloured. I find the gold-coloured clip coating will wear off and reveal the base metal underneath, while the silver-coloured won't. That may bother you, or you may like the broken-in look ... or you may not care.

I find the clip to be decent. To my liking, it's too stiff and is "tight" to the pen, so hard to clip onto thicker pieces of material. Also, the clip is held on by friction, but the Kaweco cap isn't too "frictiony" so the clip can tend to slide a bit when clipping and unclipping the pen. But since the clip is usually only a couple dollars or so as an add-on, why not try it and if you don't like it, no biggie.

Top Bottom