What's new

Kaweco

I just got one in the mail today. Preliminary inspection and a quick write were both good. I'll keep you posted.
I got the clear demonstrator and bought the converter to go with it.

I got a Skyline Sport with a medium nib from Jet Pens the other day. The nib has a bad case of baby's bottom; it skips and hard starts. Jet Pens is sending me a replacement nib. I also got the new piston converter for it, and installing it pushes the feed out of the section just a tiny bit. However, it does take a fair amount of force to push the converter onto the piercer at the end of the feed. I have to push the feed back in before inking it up. Hopefully the new nib will redeem this pen. The initial experience with my first Kaweco is pretty disappointing. Hopefully the new nib redeems this pen.

I have several Kaweco sports and am very happy. They eyedropper nicely if you don't get the aluminium one (metal pens don't take kindly to eyedroppering.)

IIRC, the "sport" has gold-coloured accents and the "ice sport" has silver-coloured. I find the gold-coloured clip coating will wear off and reveal the base metal underneath, while the silver-coloured won't. That may bother you, or you may like the broken-in look ... or you may not care.

I find the clip to be decent. To my liking, it's too stiff and is "tight" to the pen, so hard to clip onto thicker pieces of material. Also, the clip is held on by friction, but the Kaweco cap isn't too "frictiony" so the clip can tend to slide a bit when clipping and unclipping the pen. But since the clip is usually only a couple dollars or so as an add-on, why not try it and if you don't like it, no biggie.

A fix for the clip sliding is to wipe the cap and the clip down with rubbing alcohol. Slide the clip on before it dries completely. After a few minutes it'll take much more force for it to slide off.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A fix for the clip sliding is to wipe the cap and the clip down with rubbing alcohol. Slide the clip on before it dries completely. After a few minutes it'll take much more force for it to slide off.

Thanks.

I'll give that a try if we have any rubbing alcohol. Otherwise I might have to use scotch.

Have 3 AL Sports. Fine, medium, and a roller ball. Love writing with each of them and would highly recommend.

My replacement nib came, but it's a threaded nib unit. The nib and the feed are friction fit into the Skyline Sport. I can't get the nib and feed out of the collar on the replacement no matter what I try. I'm asking Jet Pens for a return for credit. I'm not going to waste any more time monkeying with this thing. If I wanted a pen I had to fiddle with, I would have bought a Noodler's pen. This is really dissappointing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are you trying to swap out just the piece of metal to change the nib?

proxy.php

With the Kaweco sport lines, you swap out the whole nib/feed unit:

proxy.php

I've been using mine for a few days now and love everything about it. It's a neat design and handy to carry. I have the fine nib, and it's as smooth as anything.

Are you trying to swap out just the piece of metal to change the nib?

proxy.php

With the Kaweco sport lines, you swap out the whole nib/feed unit:

proxy.php

You only swap out the threaded nib units on the Al-Sprot and the AC Sprot. The nibs and the feeds on the plastic pens are just friction fit. The collar is glued into the section. The picture you've posted shows the entire grip section, not the nib unit.

Jet Pens sent me a threaded nib unit. I could not for the life of me get the nib and the feed out of the collar. You're supposed to be able to remove the nib and feed from the collar of the replacement nib unit in order to swap nibs on the plastic Sport pens, but in my case, I couldn't. So back it's going to Jet Pens for a credit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You only swap out the threaded nib units on the Al-Sprot and the AC Sprot. The nibs and the feeds on the plastic pens are just friction fit. The collar is glued into the section. The picture you've posted shows the entire grip section, not the nib unit.

Jet Pens sent me a threaded nib unit. I could not for the life of me get the nib and the feed out of the collar. You're supposed to be able to remove the nib and feed from the collar of the replacement nib unit in order to swap nibs on the plastic Sport pens, but in my case, I couldn't. So back it's going to Jet Pens for a credit.

This, from the Jetpens website (Kaweco replacement nib):

This stainless steel replacement nib unit is compatible with the fountain pens listed under Compatible Products. To replace the nib of any compatible pen except the Kaweco Calligraphy, Classic Sport, Ice Sport, and Skyline Sport, use your fingertips to grip the top of the old nib and the feed of your pen and unscrew the entire nib unit from the grip section. Grip the nib and feed of the replacement nib unit and screw it into the grip section until it is tight.

To replace the nib of a Kaweco Calligraphy, Classic Sport, Ice Sport, or Skyline Sport, use your fingertips to grip the top of the old nib and the feed of your pen and pull them straight out from the grip section of the pen. Then, pull the replacement nib and feed out of the plastic collar and insert them into the pen's grip section.

Do not grip the nib by its sides, as this can damage the nib.

So ... you are right. And it appears that there are two different types of replacement nib, one to be unscrewed, and one friction-fit.

Now, it's been some time (a couple years or so? More?) since I bought a Kaweco nib, and always bought the whole front part as a unit ... IIRC that was the only option at the time, including at Jet Pens. Checking the Kaweco website, the do apparently still sell the "whole unit" option ... http://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/Schrei...oer/ersatzteile-federn/ersatzteile-federn.php See, for example the blue one for the Ice Sport, immediately following the various clips.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Pretty beat up but anything would be after living in my front pants pocket with keys, coins, and pocket knives. Reliable little buggers.

It seems that they don't make them like they used to. This happened in 15 minutes in my pocket with my keys. This includes the five minutes that my keys spent in the ignition of my car. The coating on yours looks to be a lot thicker than mine.
$IMG_20161210_174721942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It seems that they don't make them like they used to. This happened in 15 minutes in my pocket with my keys. This includes the five minutes that my keys spent in the ignition of my car. The coating on yours looks to be a lot thicker than mine.

I wasn't showing the worst of it. :001_unsur Mine is a much older pen from the 1990s, friction fit nib, no collar.
I thought at first it was anodized but it shows black under the coating so I'm unsure of what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a sport with a medium nib. It is very smooth on paper, but I do find it just a tad too small for writing longer than a few short notes.

Top Bottom