What's new

Just upgraded to a straight edge from disposable blades but need help

Hi all,

First time poster long time reader. I have bee using a straight edge with disposable blade for about a year and just bought myself a refurbished Bengal of Sheffield, England blade. I'm wrapped with it.

The blade didn't come sharpened so this is where I need help if you please.

I have a strop and been trying to sharpen it but cant quite get it shave ready.

Do you know if I keep at it I will eventually get it shave ready on the strop or do I need to get it professionally sharpened and then just use the strop to maintain?

Tanks a million...

Send it out to get it honed. Or, you can purchase a whetstone. Fine grit, as long as the edge is not damaged. #8000-#12000 grit should be fine to get it going again.

Strop is for maintaining. There are some fine gentlemen here that can put an amazing edge on it for you. I would send it to one of them to have it honed.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
[MENTION=113966]Magpie[/MENTION] welcome! We're glad to have you!

Probably best to send it out to one of our honemeisters so you know how a shave ready blade shaves. After it has been properly honed, you should shave with it the first time without stropping it. From there strop to maintain.

I got the poor man's strop from Larry at Whipped Dog. It came with a pasted balsa for touch ups when the leather isn't enough.

I have since picked up a norton 4k/8k stone to start honing my own razors. I will eventually invest in some more stones but I have honed a couple razors on the norton and followed up with the balsa and then leather with good success.

Good luck.

As a side note, if you want to try honing but don't want to spend the cash, try lapping films. There is a great thread on them on the honing boards. You can get the films and set up for around $20-$30. But definitely send to someone experienced for your first hone and journey into straight shaving. Welcome to B&B!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Welcome [MENTION=113966]Magpie[/MENTION], send it to Gary Haywood, he posts here and is in Nottingham IIRC. He's the coticule master.

Cheers, Steve

Gary Haywood knows a coticule, so does Jarrod at Superior Shave (sad to say he doesn't do honing work anymore ..pity). Alfredo Gil is a J-Nat magician. And there are many others....

Top Bottom