What's new

Just one more Gold Dollar

Very nice work. I just bought two GD's to try my hand at making some scales. I hope mine turn out as pretty as yours.

Lovely work. I enjoy this idea of turning a run of the mill razor into something wonderful. Very nice.

Very nice work. I just bought two GD's to try my hand at making some scales. I hope mine turn out as pretty as yours.

Thanks!! Make sure you post what you come up with I'm sure it'll be great. Just take your time and enjoy the process...I feel like I'm just a hack compared to what some of these guys have done with their GD's. It's pretty cool though to have an idea in your head and make a razor exactly like you want it.

Those big and bulky scales needed to go. They made it so hard to strop with any speed whatsoever. I had been wanting to make a set of scales with honey horn so they would have a transparency to them...I love that look. However, the unpredictability of horn warping and delaminating I decided to look for some transparent acrylic to try out.

I happened to find some transparent orange in the form of a mini clip board...just might work

This stuff splintered terribly at the band saw

The ROSS(Rigid Oscillating Spindle Sander)made short work of the shaping...however it would get so hot that by the time of was done I had all sorts of cracking and crazing along the edges and had to scrap the first set I tried...frustrating

Round 2 had me doing a whole lot more hand sanding to keep the heat down and they have plenty of issues, but I like these a whole lot better than those bulky wooden ones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well done. Looks nice.

Yes there are a few sets of clipboard scales out there. Easy material to source. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_color/341 is where I get my acrylic, usually. I use a lot of white opaque stuff. I don't use power tools on it, for the reasons you just discovered. Hand shaping and smoothing is easy with acrylic.

EDIT
I just checked and you can still get a 36" wide, 6" long piece of 1/8" acrylic from them for $10.73. That's about $.50 per pair of scales. Lots of color options too. They have a $10 minimum I think so no point in ordering a smaller piece from them than that.

Last edited:
Well done. Looks nice.

Yes there are a few sets of clipboard scales out there. Easy material to source. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_color/341 is where I get my acrylic, usually. I use a lot of white opaque stuff. I don't use power tools on it, for the reasons you just discovered. Hand shaping and smoothing is easy with acrylic.

EDIT
I just checked and you can still get a 36" wide, 6" long piece of 1/8" acrylic from them for $10.73. That's about $.50 per pair of scales. Lots of color options too. They have a $10 minimum I think so no point in ordering a smaller piece from them than that.

Thanks Slash, That's not bad at all for that size piece. I need to check with US Plastics too which is just an hour down the road from me. I think they have several types of material that would work for scales

Really nice work!

Thanks John

Top Bottom