What's new

Just one more Gold Dollar

This is my first straight razor. I purchased shave ready from Bucca(which was worth every penny and then some) and got 50 shaves out of it before I started honing and buying my own razors to fix up and keep sharp. This one went into a drawer and stayed there for a couple years.
I had planned on ordering some honey horn to scale this blade but I'm so cheap I ended up using wood again even though I REALLY want a nice set of translucent set of honey horn scales.

The wood I used is butternut aka white walnut. A former teaching colleague of mine had a tree go down in her back yard a few years ago and I offered to take it off her hands thinking I could use it for a guitar build or 10. I built a chainsaw mill to slab it out and I got as far as slabbing out one 3 foot log. I thought to myself hey, I can cut some of that tree up that's been sitting there "seasoning" for over 4 years now having no idea what kind of tree it even was. Off to the bandsaw I went...
Anyway...enough of the non-essential information nobody asked for. I used the butternut, a mahogany wedge, and finished it with 15 or so coats of tru-oil. The butternut is softer and less dense than the maple and mahogany I've used before, so I'm thinking the horn scales may still end up happening for this razor at some point. Here it is, and then with the 2 other Gold Dollars I've played around with.

Here it is with it's cousins in bone and in a maple/mahogany 2 tone, both of which are great shavers.

Now to hone this one up

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You are doing some nice work there. You should think about doing one for this years GD Mod competition.

Horn can be difficult. It is almost never flat. When you get it flat it gets itself unflattened, often as not. But oh that translucent stuff looks so good!

Very nice! I'm impressed with anyone with the talent to do this, and wish I had the ability to be this creative.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Very nice work! The wood in the center razor is beautiful!

You should definitely enter in the GD mod competition this year.

Stuff like this makes me think, "I should make my own scales"... then I look at the ones I made when I attempted it myself and remember that I am just awful at it. Very nice work, do you feel the wood scales tend to have to be a bit fat in the hand for stability? I've scaled a few restores in wood scales I got in a lot purchase of fittings and such and always found them awkward to strop, very clunky.

You are doing some nice work there. You should think about doing one for this years GD Mod competition.

Horn can be difficult. It is almost never flat. When you get it flat it gets itself unflattened, often as not. But oh that translucent stuff looks so good!

Yes, that was part of my concern with horn...thinking maybe a third pin near the blade's shoulder could help keep things aligned like I've seen on some razors...but man they look so good!!!

Very nice work! The wood in the center razor is beautiful!

You should definitely enter in the GD mod competition this year.

Yeah, the flame maple/mahogany 2 tone I did for the GD comp a couple years ago...I just couldn't wait until spring for the competition this year while having some extra time over Christmas/New Year.

Thanks fellas, now if I could just get the bevel set at the heel...this blade is giving me fits!!

Stuff like this makes me think, "I should make my own scales"... then I look at the ones I made when I attempted it myself and remember that I am just awful at it. Very nice work, do you feel the wood scales tend to have to be a bit fat in the hand for stability? I've scaled a few restores in wood scales I got in a lot purchase of fittings and such and always found them awkward to strop, very clunky.

Wood is definitely not my favorite, but it's cheap, readily available, and easy to work with. I don't have any ivory scaled razors to compare to, but the one in bone is absolutely my favorite. There is something substantive about bone that nothing else has IMHO(except ivory I'm sure). The wood scales can look nice, but they just don't have the weight and feel of bone. I've gone chunkier on my last 2 sets of wood scales to try and add some additional weight, but wood doesn't have to be so thick. Here are my first 2 sets of wood scales on a couple of smaller blades. Thicker scales just wouldn't work with these thin blades, GD are big enough that the larger scales don't seem too bulky.

Flame maple with mahogany wedge and mahogany with maple wedge, both fairly normal in terms of scale size/thickness.

Top Bottom