What's new

Ivory sales and us... New ban is looking like it's going to be in effect

Good, because I could care less about ivory. I'm not a fan of supporting African poachers who have no care about maintaining a sustainable resource. They'd just kill all the elephants to extinction so they can make a quick buck. And just so you can have a cheesy set of ivory handles? Really?

Good, because I could care less about ivory. I'm not a fan of supporting African poachers who have no care about maintaining a sustainable resource. They'd just kill all the elephants to extinction so they can make a quick buck. And just so you can have a cheesy set of ivory handles? Really?

Let's keep it non opinionated ok? This was an FYI for anybody selling vintage ivory scaled razors ... Or even if they have an ivory wedge! I know many of us agree with you (me included)

Please reread the civility sticky.. But if your comment wasn't meant to be snarky than I apologize!

Last edited:
If you look on plissons site, they are still selling them to anyone who wants to buy but I think they got their ivory years ago so these rules do not apply in their situation.

Let's keep it non opinionated ok? This was an FYI for anybody selling vintage ivory scaled razors ... Or even if they have an ivory wedge! I know many of us agree with you (me included)

Please reread the civility sticky.. But if your comment wasn't meant to be snarky than I apologize!

You made the correct call...

This "..And just so you can have a cheesy set of ivory handles? Really?" = Snarky

And no, there is no place for that on here.

I don't think anybody here is going to intentionally contribute to the extermination of a species. At least I would sure hope not. That being said, to restrict the sale of existing ivory stocks does not seem to be a very well thought out approach. It certainly does nothing to curb demand in my opinion.

The only effective solution is to stop glorifying and romanticising Ivory just like the fur clothing industry did a while back, then market demand will dry up. Until then, without official documentation, it is impossible to know if the ivory you are buying is legitimate or not.

Sorry OP but the thought of poaching so someone can get disgusting set of ivory handles just makes my blood boil. I'm not saying that you promote poaching but in effect you're indirectly doing so by saying things that you like the feel and look of it and want it that bad.

I used to think ivory was cool. The other forum has a brush making subforum and one of the guys there, a rather skilled craftsman who creates lovely pieces, proudly displayed his lathe-turned brush made of pre-ban ivory ''and you can even see the nerve canal''.... i paused to think about it and shuddered ... why would someone find that ''cool'' is beyond me.
A vintage razor with original scales? Ok.fine
Buying pre-ban slabs is giving, albeit late, a return in investment to those who were involved in that practice.
That material was sourced and exchanged hands for making a profit and buying it rewards the whole chain. The fact its pre-ban changes nothing.

Sorry OP but the thought of poaching so someone can get disgusting set of ivory handles just makes my blood boil. I'm not saying that you promote poaching but in effect you're indirectly doing so by saying things that you like the feel and look of it and want it that bad.

Once again reread the civility sticky....

You are addressing me directly (the op) and I never once said I like the look and feel or HAD to have it... I have one ivory made razor that I didn't know was ivory when I bought it... It is also vintage ivory from the turn if the century so no elephants were "poached" at the time..

HOWEVER this thread is about selling our razors and how we could get in trouble for doing so with the new law... Please stay on topic no more snarky comments.. please and thank you.

Last edited:
I have to admit I thought you guys were all over-reacting when this thread started. After all, what were they going to do, go after all those Steinway concert pianos out there?

I stand corrected. It looks like a version of that scenario could be exactly what's on the horizon. From today's NYT:

The rules do not ban private ownership, but they outlaw interstate sales of ivory items, unless they meet what sellers describe as impossible criteria.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/a...-on-ivory-sales-set-off-wide-concerns.html?hp

I'm a member of a forum devoted to electric and upright bass. There was/is a thread going along these lines. They are not happy, since many opf them have ivory in both their bows and their basses.

I'm a member of a forum devoted to electric and upright bass. There was/is a thread going along these lines. They are not happy, since many opf them have ivory in both their bows and their basses.

Yup I played violin for 18 years of my life... I have a 1000 dollar violin bow who's price is purely high performance... Just happens to have an ivory inlay frog (bottom part of the bow) there are literally millions of vintage guitars that have ivory inlay... That will now be confiscated and destroyed if it changes hands... Not to mention million dollar Stradivarius violins... But hey "dems the rules"

I do! There is currently according to the NYT a half a million wild elephants out there all in desperate need of protection! When I was a child (40 or so years ago) we had exactly the same problem with the wild turkey. Poachers taking them any time they got the chance and populations continuing to dwindle. Tightly controlled hunting that turned the fees and licensing into protection for habitat and game wardens made turkey populations BOOM! This was not a one time accident. It has been done for deer, turkey, pheasants, mule deer, big horn sheep, Mountain lion, etc etc! The same format has been used to successfully manage game fish as well. It is proven; it is effective, and it is repeatable. Game management not bans is the path to a long future for the elephant. Many places in Africa must cull herds of elephant to ensure they don't starve to death. Imagine for a moment if every ounce of that ivory was sold and the money turned into habitat and protection from poachers. The value of the legal ivory would would protect the animals instead of harming them. A retailer of ivory would owe his living to legal trade making him less likely to business with a poacher. Pharmacy companies don't do business with illegal drug dealers because their business license depends on it. The same would become true for those dealing in ivory.

Your reference that some countries have to cull herds to prevent starvation is accurate, but also points to the reason that managing elephants isn't the same as what many places in the US has been able to do with deer and turkey. Poachers are only half the problem. The other half (and perhaps the greater challenge) is rampant habitat destruction. I've traveled in southwest Africa off and on, and it seems that development and new infrastructure has increased ten-fold each time I go back. New roads and cell towers are progress for the African people, but no so much for the wildlife.

I know the new laws seem somewhat overbearing (or even ridiculous in some ways), but I think any effort to end the trade in ivory is a good thing.

Strads should be safe, all of them being well over 100 years, and carefully documented. Unless they have had repair work that replaced old ivory with new ivory.

Honestly, if pieces from bows, bridges, nuts and scales were the only ivory traded, there would be no issue.

... Please stay on topic

You can't write the rules on a controversial subject, not follow such rules yourself and then throw up your OP rules when people don't agree with your point of view.

OP, go ahead, enjoy your vintage razor, make new Ivory scales from questionable sourced Ivory, whatever. Just don't come on this Gentlemanly forum and further promote something that many people morally feel quite strongly about and take offense to.

Last edited:
Your reference that some countries have to cull herds to prevent starvation is accurate, but also points to the reason that managing elephants isn't the same as what many places in the US has been able to do with deer and turkey. Poachers are only half the problem. The other half (and perhaps the greater challenge) is rampant habitat destruction. I've traveled in southwest Africa off and on, and it seems that development and new infrastructure has increased ten-fold each time I go back. New roads and cell towers are progress for the African people, but no so much for the wildlife.

I know the new laws seem somewhat overbearing (or even ridiculous in some ways), but I think any effort to end the trade in ivory is a good thing.

Agreed... Something has to be done... But does scrimshaw promote whale poaching? I think vintage ivory is ok as the animal has been dead already for 100 years... But newer ivory... No! The USA isn't the problem... China japan and other countries have no laws regarding the trade of ivory... And keep in mind china has almost 6 times the population of the USA

You are addressing me directly (the op) and I never once said I like the look and feel or HAD to have it... I have one ivory made razor that I didn't know was ivory when I bought it... It is also vintage ivory from the turn if the century so no elephants were "poached" at the time..

HOWEVER this thread is about selling our razors and how we could get in trouble for doing so with the new law... Please stay on topic no more snarky comments.. please and thank you.

Somebody mentioned that they like the look and feel of ivory and that they don't like imitation because it feels flexible or something like that. BTW, is that you in the avatar? :lol:

Somebody mentioned that they like the look and feel of ivory and that they don't like imitation because it feels flexible or something like that. BTW, is that you in the avatar? :lol:

Yup I bought two slabs of ivory for a client razor I was doing but ended up canceling my order after this whole debacle... We went with bone... The imitation stuff from masecraft is too flexible and not well suited for razor scales.. That's all I was getting at...

Top Bottom