What's new

Ice Fishing

Hi All,

My good neighbour invited me out ice fishing with him just 3 weeks ago, for what would be my first time ever trying it. He's grown up ice fishing his entire life, so I figured who better to learn the ropes from? Admittedly, things started off slow, but by the end of the day, we brought in just over 3 dozen smelts each. When they're running, it's a blast! Since that first time out I've acquired fishing rods for my wife and I (I took her out for her first time and she loved it too), comfy chairs, rod stands, tackle and a sled for all of my gear. I've always struggled with Winter activities and finding something that I can truly enjoy. I think I've finally found it. A group of us got out yesterday for the afternoon/evening. We didn't make a haul like my previous trips out, but I still had a great time. I'm now thinking about purchasing my own auger and portable shelter for my wife and I and a few friends as our little ice fishing community of friends appears to be growing. So, are there many ice fishing enthusiasts here? What species do you fish? Do you fish in lakes or ocean waters? Tips and tricks? Fishing gear recommendations? Cold weather gear recommendations? Please share.

Very cool! I started ice fishing with friends off Lake Ontario 30 years ago! Great fun! Never used shelter but upgraded to a power auger and several tip ups (half marked with my significant other's name who was hooked on 15" of ice on a very mild day with a 30"+ pike..)

a power auger (I have an 8" 2-cycle) makes a world of difference as do the best pack boots you can get.

tight lines!

Tom

Mostly catch trout thru ice here. Very light bites, won't fire a tip-up, just a little wiggle in your line is all you see. When the plains lakes freeze over then we get into pike, perch, some bass. A minnow and they hit hard.

I got out 22 times last year and I think I'm up to 8 trips so far this winter. I absolutely love ice fishing, and like you, it is a relief to find a fun way to spend a winter day. I only have a hand auger (which does a great job until the ice gets beyond 15", then it's a chore), luckily my fishing buddy has a gas auger so mine is more of a backup. I use a rod holder but I screw it to the ice using a fishing tent anchor. The pike are a fair size out here so we have to take steps to avoid losing too many rods in a season. All of my ice gear is Carhartt. A little more expensive, but you really won't enjoy the fishing if you're freezing cold. I wear insulated rubber boots, and wouldn't recommend any other footwear. When the holes freeze over I just use my heel to smash some of the ice, I wouldn't want to have wet feet when I'm out there. I always use a pair of lippers as well (mechanical device that grabs the lip of the fish). I use this to avoid the teeth, but also so that I'm not sticking my hands into the water all the time, as well as because you aren't touching the fish, you aren't wiping off it's protective slime (only matters for catch and release of course). I could go on and on but if you have any particular questions I'm sure some of us on here can point you in the right direction!

I learned how to drink coffee ice fishing (spear) with my dad when I was a little kid. Memories.

Went ice fishing a lot when I was growing up but sadly haven't gone out in years. There was little to do in the winter where I grew up but ice fish so everyone did it. We built fish houses out of scrap wood and dragged them everywhere on the lake we picked for the year.
Spear fishing was something else entirely though, I miss doing that. We speared on a river for many years. It was nice cause you had little risk of losing your spear and it being a river you were somewhat close to the bottom and had a window into aquatic water life that was absolutely astounding to my then 5 year old brain.
Regardless warm clothes are essential. If you're going to spend extended periods of time a daisy heater is nice to have too. Though we were old school and usually had a wood stove in our houses;) A good deck of cards and some friends to play with and you've got a very fun afternoon/night happening.
Enjoy and congrats on finding a fun winter activity!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ice fishing strikes me as a Bugs Bunny cartoon waiting to happen.

proxy.php

Some people around where I live take their ice time pretty seriously.

i dont see how it can be fun to be cold. Unless it is like for just a few minutes, in August.

Even in -30ºC/-22ºF, with a shelter and a good propane heater, you'll be taking off layers after 10 minutes of setting up. :)

For those using hand augers, my friend has an 8" auger and bought a $12 drill adapter. I've been taking my 18V drill along with us and we've been drilling 4 - 14" holes with half a battery. Not too shabby!

I gotta unsubscribe from this thread. Getting cold just thinkin bout it!

You would like fishing in some of these guy's Ice Castles. Forced air furnaces; so warm you could wear shorts, comfy chairs, satellite TV, cold beer....

It's camping on the ice, but add fishing.

proxy.php

Some people around where I live take their ice time pretty seriously.

Is that actually an ice shack? Does it lower to be flush with the ice? If so that thing is amazing! The weight of it would be scary for me to find thick enough ice that I would be comfortable with it however

Is that actually an ice shack? Does it lower to be flush with the ice? If so that thing is amazing! The weight of it would be scary for me to find thick enough ice that I would be comfortable with it however

Yeah, it lowers. Similar pics:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454548459.488816.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454548473.258867.jpg

Full disclosure: These (or ones like it) aren't mine, or anyone's that I fish with. I have been in some 20' bunkhouses that we have used tracked buggys to get to, but these new ones are over the top.

They are designed to be used as campers also, note the air conditioners on the top.

Ice fishing strikes me as a Bugs Bunny cartoon waiting to happen.

$image.jpeg

Yes, kinda. The cool thing is when it's teeth cut the line like a barracuda with the head sticking out of the 8" hole. Then you have the instant choice of letting it slip back into the water or to grab the snapping end and pull it up on the ice!!

Fun stuff! and tasty.

Tom

Top Bottom