What's new

Ice Fishing

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
dwsteen:
Being from Michigan (East Lansing), and in my youth, I enjoyed going 'up north to the UP (upper peninsular...Marquette, MI), and ice fish (besides snowmobiling & playing hockey), in a ice shack (or on the ice), with my 'peps'. :thumbsup:

It was a great time to be 'chilling' and bonding with my friends (and trying to stay warm). I remember we didn't catch too many fish, but we had a 'blast' all the same. :w00t:

BTW, this Thread entitled "Ice Fishing Memories" might be of great interest to you (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/384664-Ice-Fishing-Memories!?p=5847440&highlight=ice+fishing#post5847440).

proxy.php
"There are two types of [ice] fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish". Author Unknown

Ice fishing strikes me as a Bugs Bunny cartoon waiting to happen.

Or when you are on a hot Walleye or Sauger bite, with say four guys in a house. Sometimes the action is so fast, you can't hardly get your jig to the bottom without picking up a fish. So, two or maybe even three guys drop at the same time, and are working fish back up, when guy number four has a Northern grab his, freak out like a madman under the ice, and tie everyone's lines into a giant knot under the ice.

No slam against ice fishing as I know it provides great camaraderie and lots of fun and great stories, but it always strikes me as something to do while you are drinking. Same for surf fishing, bowling, and curling. Don't get upset, please. This is a weak attempt at humor.

No slam against ice fishing as I know it provides great camaraderie and lots of fun and great stories, but it always strikes me as something to do while you are drinking. Same for surf fishing, bowling, and curling. Don't get upset, please. This is a weak attempt at humor.

That's not a slam, it's a very astute observation. The absolute best ice fishing drink is apple pie, which is made by reducing apple cider with cinnamon sticks in it until it is syrupy, then adding everclear. This is often consumed in larger quantities when the fish aren't biting, and accompanied by games of cards.

It's like playing fort for grownups. :)

Wow, Jared. That apple pie doesn't sound like mom's version! Must be quite a potent drink. I am always amazed at some of the elaborate ice fishing houses that people make. Very impressive.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The absolute best ice fishing drink is apple pie, which is made by reducing apple cider with cinnamon sticks in it until it is syrupy, then adding everclear.

You guys don't fool around.

My drinking team has a fishing problem!

The absolute best ice fishing drink is apple pie, which is made by reducing apple cider with cinnamon sticks in it until it is syrupy, then adding everclear. This is often consumed in larger quantities when the fish aren't biting, ...

Antifreeze. Similar to peppermint schnapps in the coffee, and we forgot the coffee.

If you wanna talk about an excuse to drink on the the ice, you should see the eelpout festival about a half hour south of where I live:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456518094.805088.jpg

It is a literal city of thousands out on the ice for days.

My ice fishing drink is Grog, half whiskey and half peppermint schnapps. Keep a bottle in the fish bucket. Rarely need it for fish anyhow...

When I lived to fish and was in the upper midwest you can bet your whatever that I was ice fishing. Most of it was on Okoboji in NW Iowa which is near SWMBO's hometown. My father-in-law had a fishing house and several neighbors were willing to take me to their houses also. Mostly Perch and Walleye. Fun to see the white dot on a Walleye's tail moving when you can't see the rest of the fish!! I once watched a Northern strike and eat a Perch (Okoboji is one of the few blue water lakes in the world and is very clear). Just watch Grumpy Old Men if you really want to see what the ice fishing culture is like.

Ice fishing season is a go up here! Planning to get out a couple times next week, over the Christmas Holidays. I've been waiting all year and the ice came early. Woohoo!!

Top Bottom