What's new

The Future of Tinned Fish Is Now, in a Restaurant Near You ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I love tinned fish!

Commissary:
View attachment 1775291

Commissary:
View attachment 1775292

Found these at the Navy Base on the island of Diego Garcia. The dried Herring is Amazing!
View attachment 1775294

World Market:
View attachment 1775295

World Market:
View attachment 1775296

World Market:
View attachment 1775297

World Market:
View attachment 1775298

Asian Grocery Store:
View attachment 1775299
KJ:
1701793008779-jpeg.1759315
"Hard to call it a party without [tinned fish]". Brandon Mull

tinned fish is one of those things if you just don't look the first time it's great and grows on you. Some can't handle that first hurdle

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Lobster in a tin...awesome! 🦞

Story by Amberly Mckee - MSN - 21 Feb 24

"There's no doubt lobster is popular in America; each year, it generates more than $1.5 billion in revenue. Still, issues with price and ease of access make it difficult to come by. In many ways, canned lobster will be able to eliminate
these problems.
1708547040243.jpeg

Priced at $38.99 for a pack of three, Scout offers canned Atlantic Canadian lobster with meat from the claw and knuckle. To preserve the meat, each 3.2-ounce can is packed with olive oil and lemon. Beyond lobster, Scout also sells canned tuna, salmon, mussels,
and trout". :thumbsup:

1708546399945.jpeg

Read More: Tinned Lobster

1708548417290.gif
"Life is like a [tin of fish] and we are all looking for the key". Alan Bennett

Last edited:
It wasn't tinned but I went to a Pickled Herring bar in Krakow Poland where my wife and I had 3 flavors of pickled herring with fresh bread and vodka for dinner. We talk of it often. So I could see good Portuguese tinned sardines and wine working as a concept.

I've always wanted to try Nuri hot pepper sardines!
I hope they had rollmops; they go good with beer. And, of course, herring in sour cream. My father's family came from Lithuania, so of course we all love herring.

Except once. Mom had bought some herring in sour cream from a little mom and pop for a family gathering, and for a change, nobody ate more than one or two pieces. We finally figured out that the owners of the grocery were Chinese, and had used blue cheese dressing by mistake.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1711589024217.jpegIf You Love Tinned Fish, Try Tinned Octopus!

By Kendra Vaculin - bon appetit - 24 March -24

"Not to be the guy who discovered a band way before you did (“Oh, you love tinned fish? Name three of their songs!”), but to all the canned tuna and smoked trout heads out there, I must insist you broaden your shelf-stable seafood horizons.

While it is not a crime to stick to the classics, there is a wide world of fishy delight available to you in the preserved foods aisle, if you dare to look beyond your tried-and-true.

Maybe you’re ready to jump off the deep end and add mussels, cockles, or snails to your cart. Or maybe you need a gateway can to help unlock your more adventurous side. In either case, pick up a tin of octopus.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I consider olive oil-packed octopus a treat. It’s the can I peel open when I want something that feels a little more special than my average seafood-studded fare. Octopus is slightly more expensive than other tinned fish products, but it shines in a way flake-able fish cannot, particularly in dishes that display its meaty texture and mild flavor. 🐙

As with other tinned fish, octopus is fully cooked right out of the can, but I like to pat my pieces dry and sear them in a hot pan to build a little char on the tentacles and add some smoky flavor. This is why my preferred brand of tinned octopus is Matiz, which includes larger pieces that readily show off a good crispy bit".

One of my favorite ways to use tinned octopus is in a pantry pasta, combining it with a few other ingredients that I always have around in case of emergency: capers, wine, butter, garlic. I crisp up the pieces, set them aside, and then build a silky sauce from those aforementioned staples in the same pan.
chef-1-jpg.803329

Once thickened and glossy, I toss in long noodles, the burnished octopus, a ton of parsley, and a squeeze of lemon for freshness. The result is reminiscent of linguine and clams—but without all the effort or shells to dig through—a weeknight-friendly dinner packed with brightness and just enough seafood salinity.

Weekend Octopus Pasta

proxy.php

Crisped tinned octopus, briny capers, and a lot of white wine.

It won’t teleport you to Lisbon, but it will certainly boost your cred in the conservas community, which, bite for bite, might be
just as cool".

proxy.php

Read More: Tinned Octopus

1711589323605.gif
"Octopus: a love story [in a tin]". Author Unknown

Last edited:
View attachment 1819329If You Love Tinned Fish, Try Tinned Octopus!

"Not to be the guy who discovered a band way before you did (“Oh, you love tinned fish? Name three of their songs!”), but to all the canned tuna and smoked trout heads out there, I must insist you broaden your shelf-stable seafood horizons.

While it is not a crime to stick to the classics, there is a wide world of fishy delight available to you in the preserved foods aisle, if you dare to look beyond your tried-and-true. Maybe you’re ready to jump off the deep end and add mussels, cockles, or snails to your cart. Or maybe you need a gateway can to help unlock your more adventurous side. In either case, pick up a tin of octopus.

proxy.php

I consider olive oil-packed octopus a treat. It’s the can I peel open when I want something that feels a little more special than my average seafood-studded fare. Octopus is slightly more expensive than other tinned fish products, but it shines in a way flake-able fish cannot, particularly in dishes that display its meaty texture and mild flavor. 🐙

As with other tinned fish, octopus is fully cooked right out of the can, but I like to pat my pieces dry and sear them in a hot pan to build a little char on the tentacles and add some smoky flavor. This is why my preferred brand of tinned octopus is Matiz, which includes larger pieces that readily show off a good crispy bit".

One of my favorite ways to use tinned octopus is in a pantry pasta, combining it with a few other ingredients that I always have around in case of emergency: capers, wine, butter, garlic. I crisp up the pieces, set them aside, and then build a silky sauce from those aforementioned staples in the same pan.
chef-1-jpg.803329

Once thickened and glossy, I toss in long noodles, the burnished octopus, a ton of parsley, and a squeeze of lemon for freshness. The result is reminiscent of linguine and clams—but without all the effort or shells to dig through—a weeknight-friendly dinner packed with brightness and just enough seafood salinity.

Weekend Octopus Pasta

proxy.php

Crisped tinned octopus, briny capers, and a lot of white wine.

It won’t teleport you to Lisbon, but it will certainly boost your cred in the conservas community, which, bite for bite, might be
just as cool".

proxy.php

Read More: Tinned Octopus

View attachment 1819331 "Octopus: a love story [in a tin]". Author Unknown
I’ve never had tinned octopus, or even knew it existed. I will have to look for it. I like dishes with octopus but have only had them when dining out.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
View attachment 1819329If You Love Tinned Fish, Try Tinned Octopus!

[...]This is why my preferred brand of tinned octopus is Matiz, which includes larger pieces that readily show off a good crispy bit".

...Matiz Gallego Pulpo Octopus w/Olive

proxy.php
"Remember that very good [tinned fish] are always preferable to a not [so] good lobster". Chef Ferran Adria

It wasn't tinned but I went to a Pickled Herring bar in Krakow Poland where my wife and I had 3 flavors of pickled herring with fresh bread and vodka for dinner. We talk of it often. So I could see good Portuguese tinned sardines and wine working as a concept.

I've always wanted to try Nuri hot pepper sardines!
My wife and I enjoyed traveling to Reykjavik a few years ago and sampling many different versions of pickled herring. It seemed each restaurant or hotel lobby presented a unique pickling brine. The hákarl was a different story - basically a sponge soaked in ammonia.

People also ask

What does hákarl taste like?

Hákarl - Gastro Obscura

Soft, white hákarl from the shark's body has a cheese-like texture, while reddish meat from the belly is chewier. Those who sample it describe the flavor in far-ranging terms, from fishy and mild to strong like blue cheese. Most agree that the lingering aftertaste can be described only as urine. <<<<<<< :lol:

Top Bottom