What's new

How many shaves do you use your blades typically?

3-5 depending on how long I want to stretch it out. If I have an event or date that's usually cause for a fresh blade regardless of the use total

Generally, I toss a DE blade after three shaves- this includes Feather DE blades, which are super sharp but deteriorate relatively quickly. However, I get four solid shaves from GSB, Super Iridium and the now discontinued French-made Gillette Bleue Extra.

3 3-pass face shaves seem to be the limit for me (sometimes 2 if the blade is not great). Doesn't matter if it is in my Merkur Progress or Weber SS PH. I blame my older man gray whiskers...

I know this has probably been brought up but I can’t find a thread on it.

I also know answers are going to be all over the place.

I’m a head shaver and always shave my beard and head together. I typically get 4 shaves before binning a blade. I count that as 8 shaves due to the full head/beard shave.

I typically use Astra SPs or GSBs and now also starting to use Nacets. My favorite blade though is the Astra SP.

How about you guys?
3-4 shave, and to quote from the Holy Book of Antioch, " One shall Shave, but not less than three and no more than 6 for seven is not holy to they face." Besides that, That rabbit is dynamite!

I have average beard growth and do a full face shave(2 -3 passes + cleanup) usually every other day. I don't try to push a blade's usefulness but I seem to almost always get close to 5 shaves from less than stellar blades, usually close to 10 shaves from the majority of blades and sometimes close to 20 with the best performing blades. As soon as I notice the blade isn't cutting well I toss it. It is ironic that the more blades I acquire the longer each individual blade seems to be lasting me.

Once upon a time, I liked to change blades every Sunday, so I preferred blades that lasted 5-7 shaves. I found almost every blade I used did that when I started spending time on pre-shave prep.

Now I shave with a blade until it gives out or I get bored. That might be 5 shaves, or it might be 20.

Once upon a time, I liked to change blades every Sunday, so I preferred blades that lasted 5-7 shaves. I found almost every blade I used did that when I started spending time on pre-shave prep.

Now I shave with a blade until it gives out or I get bored. That might be 5 shaves, or it might be 20.
I started just like you. One blade for a week. Then I found out that I could use for 2 weeks. It became normal. This year I am using a blade for 3 weeks and it has been like this for the last 2 months. I don't want to push for 4 weeks because otherwise I have more than enough blades. :) 12 blades for a year is a dangerous thought.

This is a question that is very subjective, and there is no right or wrong reply, or number. As I aged my BEARD got different, today it is easy to shave, it is no longer Tought, Thick, or Growing in a Swirl Pattern in many places.

I can get 5-7 shave out of most price point or good blades. I think I change at 3 - 4 shaves as blade are cheap. If I want to stretch out a blade for 6-8 shave very possible, but the quality of shave would go down.

Looking for Golden Rule of Blade life, ask 10 people, get 10 answers, because 10 different beards.

Top Bottom