What's new

Razor configuration, does it matter?

This isn't a game or a test or anything. I'm looking for subjective feedback on if/how the head or cap affects blade angle and depth at all.

One if Frankenstein'd, the other factory. I'm intentionally not saying the name because I don't want any bias in the answer.

This is on my head but for all intents let's consider it irrelevant because there are more beard shavers here. Imagine using ot for a 5oclock shadow or maybe a day or day and half later stubble.

I tried shaving with both, one felt better than the other but could in my head (luckily no pun intended). Also this is only my second time with a DE so my rationale could be off. * Hence why I'm asking you guys

Attachments

• Razor1-1.jpg
    Razor1-1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Razor1-2.jpg
    Razor1-2.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Razor1-3.jpg
    Razor1-3.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Razor2-1.jpg
    Razor2-1.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Razor2-2.jpg
    Razor2-2.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Razor2-3.jpg
    Razor2-3.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 16
It can make a difference due to the geometry. The main factor is probably the blade exposure (how much of the blade sticks out). The more blade exposure, the wider the effective shaving angle will be, and the more "aggressive" the razor will seem.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a totally different approach, so I don't know that I will be helpful. I spend no time looking at the razors, so that doesn't tell me anything useful. My two evaluators are feel and results, so I'd use the one that felt most comfortable and still provided good results. If you're fairly new to DE shaving I'd lean heavily on comfort and worry more about results some weeks (or even months) down the road.

What am I looking at?

If both sides of the razor don't shave IDENTICAL, clean the gunk, make sure the blade sits flat and try again. If it still doesn't shave the same on both sides, throw that razor out and buy a different one.

As @musicman1951 said, go on feel/performance not on how it looks.

IF I read your post correctly, you used two different top caps on the same base plate and asking if the thicker/thinner, wider/narrower top cap should theoretically perform better.

Honestly, it depends on the person.

You might have a preference now as a beginner only to discover a year down the road that the other combination is better for you individually.

When I started about a dozen years ago, shallow angle shaving (i.e. “riding the cap”)and sharp blades were the fashion. I tried to live up to that as it was the accepted norm. But lately I discovered that I also enjoy steep angled shaving and milder blades.

@NorthernSoul @Frito Ray
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. As mentioned I really can't tell too much difference between the two .

Now revealing the two, the original is a Merkur 25C. The Frankenstein cap is from a Merkur 180 (same as 33C?).

Despite being new I think I prefer a slightly more aggressive shave. The 180 felt like nothing in stock configuration and didn't do a slick shave. So I wondered what would happen if i combined the two.

Based on what I'm reading you guys are recommending what feels and performs best and blade exposure. I just wasn't sure if caps can change the angle of the blade or not.

I have a totally different approach, so I don't know that I will be helpful. I spend no time looking at the razors, so that doesn't tell me anything useful. My two evaluators are feel and results, so I'd use the one that felt most comfortable and still provided good results. If you're fairly new to DE shaving I'd lean heavily on comfort and worry more about results some weeks (or even months) down the road.

The pictures were purely to show how the caps affect the blade and how much angle/forgiveness each they allow. For aesthetics, i don't care what it looks like, only for the most aggressive shave with what I have.

Top Bottom