What's new

First shave with the Gillette Nacet blade

My "base" blade for comparison are Feather blades, and I find Kai in Superslant L1 and L1++OC more efficient than Feathers. Actually of the razors I have Kai work the best in my SuperSlants. But of course YMMW as it is with such things. Regarding sharpness interestingly my perception of Kai blade sharpness does not put them on the same level as Feathers. Seems that larger blade exposure and perhaps a more rigid blade seems to up the cutting ability a bit more than sharpness does it for the Feathers.

As a newer less experienced DE shaver (about a year now), I have been using a 1961 Gillette Slim razor and trying out various blades. As a newer wet shaver I am trying to get the feel for comparing blade performance in my razor. It is not easy to make such blade comparisons, at least for me. I guess it takes time to discover the differences between blades in a particular razor.

I have been using Nacets and Feather blades without any problems with either. Perhaps I need to use the same blade brand for a month then the other in order to get a "feel" for the difference. I am having fun with this new shaving venture and getting the best shaves in my life (I am 72).

Am looking forward to getting into the subtilties of trying out various razors, blades and soaps. I think it may be best to only change one thing at a time in order to fairly determine the results. Lots of things to try in the quest to experience this new hobby.

You guys here at B & B sure add another dimension of pleasure to the hobby as we offer up various experiences. Of course there is no right or wrong, just subjective opinions but fun exchanges.

Hugh, in The Black Hills of South Dakota. (Rapid City)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As a newer less experienced DE shaver (about a year now), I have been using a 1961 Gillette Slim razor and trying out various blades. As a newer wet shaver I am trying to get the feel for comparing blade performance in my razor. It is not easy to make such blade comparisons, at least for me. I guess it takes time to discover the differences between blades in a particular razor.

I have been using Nacets and Feather blades without any problems with either. Perhaps I need to use the same blade brand for a month then the other in order to get a "feel" for the difference. I am having fun with this new shaving venture and getting the best shaves in my life (I am 72).

Am looking forward to getting into the subtilties of trying out various razors, blades and soaps. I think it may be best to only change one thing at a time in order to fairly determine the results. Lots of things to try in the quest to experience this new hobby.

You guys here at B & B sure add another dimension of pleasure to the hobby as we offer up various experiences. Of course there is no right or wrong, just subjective opinions but fun exchanges.

Hugh, in The Black Hills of South Dakota. (Rapid City)
I love Rapid City.... I grew up in Montana and Wyoming but moved East in 1976. When our sons were 8 and 10, we took them on a trip out west... They sure loved seeing the American bison herd just outside Rapid City in Custer's State Park.... There were around 2000 head roaming free when we visited that time.

I love Rapid City.... I grew up in Montana and Wyoming but moved East in 1976. When our sons were 8 and 10, we took them on a trip out west... They sure loved seeing the American bison herd just outside Rapid City in Custer's State Park.... There were around 2000 head roaming free when we visited that time.
I grew up in Minneapolis, moved to California for 30 years and then relocated to South Dakota about 25 years ago. Best move I ever made. Great place to live.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I grew up in Minneapolis, moved to California for 30 years and then relocated to South Dakota about 25 years ago. Best move I ever made. Great place to live.
That area around Rapid City is one of my favorites of all the places I've been. I was born in Montana and my parents moved around Montana and Wyoming.... My wife and I moved to Montana right after we were married but only stayed there a little over a year. We moved to PA for around 30 years, with a short stay in Virginia.... then in 2004, my wife got her dream job in Florida.

Florida isn't for everyone but we sure love living here. I'm a weather wuss now. I put on a jacket when it gets below 60F. LOL

Am looking forward to getting into the subtilties of trying out various razors, blades and soaps.

Returning to DE shaving only a few years back myself, I find that the razor provides far more differences in the overall shaving experience than any other factor.

Shaving with today's blades is a different experience than with blades we used decades ago. But then, I never used any "exotic" blades, was never even aware of their existence. Like most others I knew, we only purchased what they sold at the drug stores.

Even starting over, I bough Gillette blades because they were a brand that I was familiar with. Initially, I never gave a thought to where they were manufactured.

It is only due due to the Internet that I became aware of the variety blades that are available.

IMO feather blades shave great, once the coating wears off they shave like garbage...and they are expensive...Nacets are a happy medium of good performing blade with decent sharpness and they don't cost an absurd amount.
I tried Feathers in my 2011 Muhle R41, found them harsh to use. I use milder blades which are much more comfortable, and the razor, being pretty aggressive, get the job done nicely. Nacets and Permasharps work for me. And in any other razor as well.

That area around Rapid City is one of my favorites of all the places I've been. I was born in Montana and my parents moved around Montana and Wyoming.... My wife and I moved to Montana right after we were married but only stayed there a little over a year. We moved to PA for around 30 years, with a short stay in Virginia.... then in 2004, my wife got her dream job in Florida.

Florida isn't for everyone but we sure love living here. I'm a weather wuss now. I put on a jacket when it gets below 60F. LOL
Here in Rapid City, we have the Air Force base next door. It amazes me how many airmen who were at one time assigned to the local base returned here to live long after they served here. It is easy to visit the Black Hills and end up falling in love with the area. My career had me traveling all over North America for business so I got to see a great deal of the country again and again. However, upon returning home I realized I live in the best place.

I have 1,000 Nacets so I guess I am good for awhile...I think a blade is mostly a blade...they go dull and need to be changed with great frequency...I still don't believe somebody can reasonably get 10-25 shaves from one of these, I just don't see why anybody would want a dull tugging blade...but I guess I'm going to have to try it for myself.

Theoretically if I could get one blade a month, my life of shaves would never need to buy blades again.
I've taken a nacet to 16 shaves, my current nacet up to 12. Still 0 tugging and smooth shaves - Razorock Lupo.

The only reason I stopped at 16 was to try something else, in reality it was still pumping out bbs and dfs

SOTD

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 72OC - DSCosmetics Ti THT Handle
Brush: Trafalgar T3
Blade: GSB (1)
Soap: MWF (Tallow)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Moisturiser: Boots Derma Care Daily

2 passes, 1 wtg & 1 atg

GSB didn't seem as good as my normal blade (Nacet)

Perhaps this blade takes a shave or 2 to settle down, but even the Nacet on its 12th shave was smoother with less pickups.

Top Bottom