What's new

First shave with the Gillette Nacet blade

If you're referring to me I use Russian Astra SP and Gillete Platinum. Tried lot of sample blades to get down to those two. I shave on milder setting and those two fit me perfectly. They are smooth but sharp without tugging. Neither are they scary sharp like Feather or Wizmet lol.

I have 1,000 Nacets so I guess I am good for awhile...I think a blade is mostly a blade...they go dull and need to be changed with great frequency...I still don't believe somebody can reasonably get 10-25 shaves from one of these, I just don't see why anybody would want a dull tugging blade...but I guess I'm going to have to try it for myself.

Theoretically if I could get one blade a month, my life of shaves would never need to buy blades again.

I have 1,000 Nacets so I guess I am good for awhile...I think a blade is mostly a blade...they go dull and need to be changed with great frequency...I still don't believe somebody can reasonably get 10-25 shaves from one of these, I just don't see why anybody would want a dull tugging blade...but I guess I'm going to have to try it for myself.

Theoretically if I could get one blade a month, my life of shaves would never need to buy blades again.
I bet I could do it. I am about to get a full month of shaves (17) from a single Treet Dura Sharp (carbon steel). It's not that I am talented or super-special - I just don't have heavy facial hair and I keep a goatee, so the mileage on a single shave for me is probably 1/5 what someone else incurs. No problems with tugging or dullness - it is what it is. Also, I have no doubts that people can and do sustain less damage to their razor blades using various technique variations like short, shallow angle cutting.

Nacet and Feather are two different animals. Feather blades are obviously sharper, but to me the difference isn't that huge. If Feather is 10-10 for sharpness, then I would put Nacet at around 7.5/8-10. Just like with any other blade, everyone has it's own preferences, unique face, skin, whiskers and razors to shave with, so the performance isn't going to be equal for everyone else. I know some people think that using Feather blades in aggressive razors make them somewhat special and they like to brag about it, but I'm sure most are capable to achieve the same thing with a bit of practice and patience.

I use only Nacet, because it's one of the very few blades (along with Perma-Sharp, Minora Stainless and maybe Polsilver SI/Wizamet) that is very consistent and works equally great in all of my razors without adding any extra drama whatsoever. Feather blades are very nice as well in some of my razors, but in others, they require a bit more attention when shaving and in return I get a bit more sharpness, which isn't always a game changer. Besides, Feather blades don't last very long and cost way more compared to like 90% of the blades on the market.

The bottom line is - use whatever works for your face.

I know some people think that using Feather blades in aggressive razors make them somewhat special and they like to brag about it...

...and cost way more compared to like 90% of the blades on the market.

I don't notice any difference in difficulty using a Feather blade over my other quality blades. It doesn’t really effect how I shave. Shaves like any other blade for me.

The real downside is that they do cost way more than 100% of my other blades. The closest being the 7-O'clock Black's, which are now around $35/hundred.

I still don't believe somebody can reasonably get 10-25 shaves from one of these, I just don't see why anybody would want a dull tugging blade...

The problem with modern blades is that it goes beyond going dull. If that was the problem, one could just shave until the blade started tugging and then change it. This is what people used to do in days past.

The problem is that modern blades are thinner and more easily subject to edge damage from micro-cracks. The edge can still be sharp but have damage. This results in damage to the skin that causes irritation.

The only way to prevent this is to change the blade before any irritation starts to occur. This is likely the reason that members often have a set number of days they use a blade for.

I bet I could do it. I am about to get a full month of shaves (17) from a single Treet Dura Sharp (carbon steel). It's not that I am talented or super-special - I just don't have heavy facial hair and I keep a goatee, so the mileage on a single shave for me is probably 1/5 what someone else incurs. No problems with tugging or dullness - it is what it is. Also, I have no doubts that people can and do sustain less damage to their razor blades using various technique variations like short, shallow angle cutting.
I wish I could say the same thing yesterday at work one of my coworkers at around 10 am asked if I shaved. I said yes he responded with that’s some five oclock shadow going on. I have thick course razor wire whiskers where I still have dark brown in my beard and not white i have a shadow going on. So I rarely use a blade more than three times.

It's a given that Feathers are somewhat sharper than Nacets. But when the other factors are considered; smoothness, longevity, and price, it's clear IMO that overall Nacets are the better blades.
Clear?
Overall?
'Better' or 'worse' are strictly individual things with blades. There are many users who consider the Feather the better of the two. And they are ready to pay the higher price.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Clear?
Overall?
'Better' or 'worse' are strictly individual things with blades. There are many users who consider the Feather the better of the two. And they are ready to pay the higher price.
I really need to try a Feather DE. I have a tuck included with a brush order I’ve had sitting around for months. I need to bump up the efficiency of my SuperSlant L1++OC and plan to try a Kai in it.Could a Feather accomplish the same thing?

I really need to try a Feather DE. I have a tuck included with a brush order I’ve had sitting around for months. I need to bump up the efficiency of my SuperSlant L1++OC and plan to try a Kai in it.Could a Feather accomplish the same thing?
I have never used a KAI. Have one blade that is waiting to be tried (sitting there for 2 years).
If you cannot get close enough results with the Feather, you won't get them with any other blade.

Maybe just buying a L2 head will do the job? I know, they are very expensive.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have never used a KAI. Have one blade that is waiting to be tried (sitting there for 2 years).
If you cannot get close enough results with the Feather, you won't get them with any other blade.

Maybe just buying a L2 head will do the job? I know, they are very expensive.
I have the L2++ base plate and it's a bit too efficient for me. I could use a less sharp blade, perhaps, to tame it... or as I suggested, try to bump up the L1++OC a tad. I have the L3 but sold that along with the extra cap I bought when they released them.

Clear?
Overall?
You are absolutely right, 'better' or 'worse' are strictly individual things with blades. You quoted my use of the words 'clear,' and 'overall,' but failed to mention 'IMO.' The use of which qualifies my statement as opinion, nothing more or nothing less. 😊

The feather will likely help as it bumps aggressiveness up. The Kai will also likely help as I’m sure you know it’s just a little wider than most DE blades.

Top Bottom