What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I only wish I was more into this a few years ago when Botan and Koma were more readily available.

Here is my latest "Botan" Toishi, quotes because it is 500 gms.
proxy.php

Holy crap on a cracker. I had to google Koma Nagura to see why I should be impressed. After 2 hours searching in 3 languages (via translators, cause I dum) I found two sites, selling 5 koma's. None stamped. Starting at $120. Also Japan has like a 100% tax rate if I'm reading their sites correctly.

Ok, I think I get it now...my films, while effective, definitely don't have "mojo". These two pages would be an indication of what Alfredo refers to as "mojo".

I understand completely now. Those are pretty rocks. I've never shaved off a Jnat edge, so I'm going to have to do something about that. Very cool stuff, guys.

Is there a Jnat primer out there somewhere? I don't really understand the various terms.

Ok, I think I get it now...my films, while effective, definitely don't have "mojo". These two pages would be an indication of what Alfredo refers to as "mojo".

I understand completely now. Those are pretty rocks. I've never shaved off a Jnat edge, so I'm going to have to do something about that. Very cool stuff, guys.

Is there a Jnat primer out there somewhere? I don't really understand the various terms.
Yes.

I'll be honest with ya. I don't think the guys who COINED the terms understood what all of them mean.

I'm pretty sure the Kana for "Koma" translates to "Spinning Top".

And I've found about ten different experts who look like they'd love to argue with one another over which is actually finer, Mejiro or Tenjou. Also, there are at least three or four different spellings for Tenjou that are used with regularity.

Jnats give me a headache. I just whack the stone with my razor until it shaves me all perty.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Actually Koma is written in Katakana "コマ". Botan is also in katakana "ボタン” Tenjyou ”天上” and Mejiro ”目白” mean literally ceiling and white eye, respectively. Who know's where the names actually came from? But the names are stamped on each nagura from the guys who grade the darn things.

Phonetically koma does mean "top", as well as "frames" in comics. I think koma is short for komakai, which mean "fine". YMMV lol.

Just when I was about to pull the trigger on a coti you show me all these amazing jnats. Holy cow, I thought this wet shaving thing was supposed to save me money

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just when I was about to pull the trigger on a coti you show me all these amazing jnats. Holy cow, I thought this wet shaving thing was supposed to save me money

Sure it saves you money, "amortized" over your lifetime. :lol:

I'm not sure who named them - but the names of the Nagura correspond to the specific layer in the mine where the Nagura come from.
There are supposed to be 12 layers - but I can't find the drawing right now.

I was told that Botan translates to 'Peony', and Koma is 'Fine'.
Tenjou also translates to 'Heavens'

Actually Koma is written in Katakana "コマ". Botan is also in katakana "ボタン” Tenjyou ”天上” and Mejiro ”目白” mean literally ceiling and white eye, respectively. Who know's where the names actually came from? But the names are stamped on each nagura from the guys who grade the darn things.

Phonetically koma does mean "top", as well as "frames" in comics. I think koma is short for komakai, which mean "fine". YMMV lol.
those are the names of the strata layers they come from ,the meaning is for sure not what the translators give us though.

Since we talking naguras here are some of mine
In order: Botan, Mejiro, Botan, Tenjio
I also have koma and more mejiros but no pics right now.

Attachments

• $IMG_4581.jpg
    $IMG_4581.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 157
  • $IMG_0662.jpg
    $IMG_0662.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 156
  • $IMG_3744.jpg
    $IMG_3744.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 157
  • $IMG_3811.jpg
    $IMG_3811.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 156

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
those are the names of the strata layers they come from ,the meaning is for sure not what the translators give us though.

Do you think the they named the strata first, or the nagura first? Chicken or the egg?

Wow. What beautiful stones. I never knew sharpening stones where held in such high regard. You gentlemen have inspired me to learn more about this style of sharpening and straight razors in general.

Thank you all for the great pics.

i bought this tonight.... got if for a good price... giving ole 330mate another shot seeing as i got lucky last time...

but i am a tiny bit worried about where the arrow is...

proxy.php

Do you think the they named the strata first, or the nagura first? Chicken or the egg?
the way I read the story Asano went to the mine and classified the layers, so my guess is they named the layers and the stones that came from those layers carry the name.
As per JimR's translation of Iwasaki's book there are 10 layers of nagura as follows
1. Mejiro
2. Tenjou
3. Buchikou
4. Koma
5. Botan
6. Layered Botan
7. Mushi
8. Atsu
9. Ban
10. Shikiban.

So, are the Nagura stones used to generate slurry that will in effect, change the "grit" (for lack of a better term) as you progress?

Top Bottom