What's new

Does anyone here live in Northern California that I can hone a razor side by side with?

Can we do it on the 10th?, 49ers just made it to the Super Bowl on the 11th.

If not I can still do the 11th, just seeing what day is picked.

The 10th is perfect for me too. Again, if you want to come here together you can try out Jnats and have lunch, or I will come down there too. You fellows decide.
Those last too games, and last night especially reminded me of the Joe Montana games. I was with 4 friends and we were on our feet half the game.
So just let me know when and where.

Alex

Attachments

• shop1.JPG
    shop1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • shop2.JPG
    shop2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • shop5.JPG
    shop5.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • shop6.JPG
    shop6.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • shop7.JPG
    shop7.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I’ve been off the forums for a while due to life (mother in law passed, new job, Covid and hockey season) but would love to meet up. I’m in San Jose and work on the peninsula.
Great idea and looking forward to this.
Alex, where are you- that honing area looks fantastic.

I’m available to head up to Sonoma if we could start early and wrap by 3pm.

I’m also happy to host this (or a future gathering) in the South Bay.

Potential attendees have a preference?

Short report... Alex and Emiko were very kind hosts. Emiko cooked a tasty lunch, and Alex shared his knowledge and tried to help each of us develop a shave-worthy razor. We paused along the way to observe the effect of experiments on the razor and change things up as needed. In addition to Alex's expertise, it was valuable to hear the experiences of @Toro Blanco and @quijas23 as they've been at this much longer than me.

This was the first time I've honed with others, so the trip was eye-opening in a number of ways. An initial list:
  • It was helpful to get a sense for the pressure others use (someone can push on your hand and give you a sense for it)
  • I was surprised how much differently stones can behave on different steels
  • I got a sense if I was 'in the ballpark' for my honing efforts
  • There was a lot of observing and then changing what wasn't working (def. Not a recipe)
  • You can see if something is working or not in a very small number of strokes
  • Lots of small details discussed for me to decide how incorporate (e.g., kapton vs. 3m tape)
  • Getting to see a range of different performing stones and how mine fit in
  • The shear number and variety of stones Alex has is astounding.
Very glad I did this - thank you Alex, Toro and Quijas23!

Top Bottom