What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Cherish that, it's beautiful and keep ahold of those blades! They look pristine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cherish that, it's beautiful and keep ahold of those blades! They look pristine.
Thank you! It's well cared for and will be passed on to one of the kids (whichever understands the value of heirlooms). It spends is days in the hutch with other family memorabilia.
proxy.php

This was handed down to me from my mother after my grandmother passed on. I thought it was a 1921-29, which is incorrect, I'm still learning. I would imagine this razor lived most of its life in a sock drawer or alike. Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured? I added a pic of the serial number.

Think it may have been used once or twice, outline of razor and one is missing from the case. I've never cleaned it, I collect coins, so the mindset of letting it age gracefully on its own suits me. It sits in a antique hutch along with other family heirlooms. Thanks for any help.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Hi, it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but you have an unusual case for that razor. On the back of the case where the patent dates are usually inscribed, you have the patent numbers inscribed/stamped instead. It was my understanding that these cases with the patent numbers on the back, were transition sets from when Gillette was no longer using the ABC made parts. Yours is an earlier exhample than I thought we're in existence. This is very interesting. I don't doubt the originality of your set. I'm just surprised to see it. Pretty cool. Most of the cases I have seen with patent numbers like yours, were dated 1914 or later, according to the razor serial numbers inside those sets. Was your set made in America or England?

It should also be pointed out, that the thick blue felt interior was an extra charge option.....

Cheers,
Kevin

It should also be pointed out, that the thick blue felt interior was an extra charge option.....

Cheers,
Kevin

Hello Kevin, did you note also that the patch with the logo only has "Known The World Over" and not the "Made In USA " portion of the logo? I scanned over the photo of the bottom of the case again, but I did not see a tell-tale G in D stamp. Nor a star.

This is as it should be.
The words MADE IN USA did not appear until late 1917,
when they were first used on the U.S. Service Sets....

There is a link, someplace on this site, devoted to the
patent date -vs.- patent number. As I recall, there is,
as yet, no firm answer as to why they made them.....

Cheers,
Kevin

This is as it should be.
The words MADE IN USA did not appear until late 1917,
when they were first used on the U.S. Service Sets....

There is a link, someplace on this site, devoted to the
patent date -vs.- patent number. As I recall, there is,
as yet, no firm answer as to why they made them.....

Cheers,
Kevin

I FOUND THE THREAD ON PATENT DATES -VS- PATENT NUMBERS ON ABC CASES:
Significance of patent numbers instead of dates on ABC Pocket Edition cases

Cheers,
Kevin

Thank You for the clarification, Kevin. And the link. Have a great day!

Hi, it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but you have an unusual case for that razor. On the back of the case where the patent dates are usually inscribed, you have the patent numbers inscribed/stamped instead. It was my understanding that these cases with the patent numbers on the back, were transition sets from when Gillette was no longer using the ABC made parts. Yours is an earlier exhample than I thought we're in existence. This is very interesting. I don't doubt the originality of your set. I'm just surprised to see it. Pretty cool. Most of the cases I have seen with patent numbers like yours, were dated 1914 or later, according to the razor serial numbers inside those sets. Was your set made in America or England?
That is information that I can't get unfortunately, he passed away in the 80's. My grandfather immigrated to the US in the late 20's from Italy. He also served in WW1. Probably not much help at all. This is definitely very interesting. Let me know if I should post different pics to help figure this out/add to archives.

dear all,
I bought a floreal abc pocket set. I will send later more pictures. In the meantime I have a quastion for you:
the razor shows the serial B890845 (1911) in the upper side of the guard but no gillette logo. I've seen the same thing many time on B&B but I would like to know your opinion.
Thank, Andy
upload_2017-12-18_16-37-26.png

upload_2017-12-18_16-39-16.png

upload_2017-12-18_16-40-33.png

Andy ~

Congratulations, that is a very nice A.B.C. set. Almost all lacked the Gillette Diamond and Arrow logo, so do not worry about this, it is normal. You are fortunate to have the original ribbon/tape inside the case lid, most sets are missing these. You might try a site like ancestory, and see what you can find out about Dino Carbonella....

Enjoy,
Kevin

IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5519.JPG
IMG_5521.JPG
I found another abc set, unfortunately without the blade case but, in my opinion, in rather good condition. The serial number is B17666. This case shows patents numbers instead of patents dates on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
R

romsitsa

Hello Andy,

very nice, but even more interesting set. The serial dates the razor to 1909, but the case is the later push to open/riveted type and it comes with the "English" ribbon, but in gold.

I thought the patent numbers were introduced around 1913, but it could have happened as early as 1909?

Adam

hello adam,
first of all I apologize for my english but i will try to explain my doubts:
I'm not an expert but i think you are right when you say that this case seem to be a later type. I own also another abc case (see previous posts) and it comes with patents dates and with a different push button with rivets that to me seems to be one of the old types but In this case the serial number of the razor dates it to 1911 (same ribbon). I think that probably the 1909 razor could be an old razor left in stock and later used in a later case. Said this, i still have some doubts: i've seen a lot of abc set with serial patents number and razors that don't match what you expect and the other way around. All mismatches?
Last, i don't know anything about english ribbons but in my set the arrow in the gillette logo is not so evident and it seems a simple line. Do you know why?
I know by the previous owner that my set was bought in mexico.
Thanks!!!
PS: last night my 1911 razor fall from my hands and i broke a teeth! I'm really disapponted for demaging a piece of history

R

romsitsa

Hello Andy,

hope you can repair or replace the comb.
I don't know what exactly is going on with your other set (B 17666), but it looks strange.
The razor is for sure from 1909.
The case has the riveted push to open latch, this was introduced around 1911.
We don't know when the patent dates were replaced with the patent numbers on the cases, I tend to belive around 1913. Almost all patent numbered cases have British razors (serial starting with G), but yours is an US one.
The ribbon is gold, but the razors and cases plating is silver, indicating a case made around 1909-11.
The line instead of an arrow is related to British razors, for some reason the British Gillette emblem had this line from the begining (1908 or 09) up until roughly 1921-22.

It could be that they combined a spare razor and liner with a "new" case, or push to open cases with patent numbers were introduced way earlier than I thought.

Adam

Can anyone help me date this?

Looks like it's a regular Gillette handle based on what this thread shows earlier (not the ABC plain model) and it doesn't have a blade case - which is fine by me.

I mainly bought it (for $10) because I LOVE the patent list on the back of the case, so it will be displayed with that facing forward after polishing it up a bit. I'm also likely to pick up a cheap blade box at some point.

I am also excited to have a Gillette OLD to try out.

But I'm confused by the serial number. It looks it says PC 58633. I see the serial numbers list P and list C but not PC together. It almost looks like the P is different...slightly off level and deeper than the C.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom