What's new

Razorock Adjust Butterfly Safety Razor: Review after First Use

Hi everyone, I just posted on my first use of my new Razorock Adjust Butterfly Safety Razor (Rebranded Baili). Review and results from my first shave available via the link below. Copy of the review alone pasted here for convenience:

Razorock Adjust Review:

Loaded a new new Derby Extra blade into the razor and then adjusted it to its mildest setting by turning the knob all the way to the left. This razor is different from many other adjustables in that you set the adjustment setting after the blade is loaded and locked down. Loading the blade is easy, just open the butterfly via the know at the bottom of the razor and drop it in. When closing the butterfly an extra quarter turn is required on the knob to lock it in. Note that none of the blade extends out of the ends of the razor head once it's loaded. Razor has a nice weight to it that feels substantial.

Once the blade was loaded I turned the dial just under the razor head all the way to the left to its mildest setting. Blade was well balanced and even in the razor so all looked good. The adjustment mechanism uses two sets of twin bars (one set on each side) that are raised or lowered to vary blade gap and aggressiveness. No springs used in this mechanism that were part of the issue with the Ming Shi 3000s I experimented with a few years ago with poor results. On that razor the blade would constantly slant at all but the mildest setting due to the spring flexing causing excessive weepers.

Back to the Razorock Adjust I experimented with the adjustment settings with the blade locked down and was able to observe the changes in gap with the adjustments. At the mildest setting this razor is definitely milder than my moderate Weishi 9306 though slightly more aggressive than my very mild King C. Gillette. Shaving at this setting delivered the BBS shave described below with efficiency that was almost as good as my Weishi. I did test a couple of strokes at the most aggressive setting and this did make the razor a bit more aggressive that my Weishi. Definitely prefer using it towards the milder end of its spectrum.

The knurling on the razor handle made it easy to grip when wet though it needs to be dry to easily adjust the aggressiveness mid-shave if desired. Overall fit and finish on this razor is excellent with nicely chromed surfaces. Did note that the bottom of the razor handle is open with some of the inner workings visible, would normally expect this to be capped. Also the adjust mechanism no longer has any markings at all. My understanding is that earlier versions of this had a midpoint marking and directional markings to note that turning to the left makes it milder with turns to the right increasing aggressiveness. I see these as minor defects on what is otherwise a very good razor that is a bargain at a $7.99 sale price.

Link to First Shave:

Quick update on my new Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) razor. First is that I've been able to dial it in for BBS shaves without any weepers. The ideal setting for me is a setting of about 3/8" turn to the right from the mildest setting.

I also looked at the mechanism a bit more closely and believe one reason it works so well is because it's very similar to the mechanism used in Gillette's Black Beauty Super Adjustable razors that I began shaving with in my college years. The adjustment mechanism in the Razorock Adjust lifts or lowers four horizontal bars in the razor head underneath the blade (2 on each side) to vary the blade gap. Researched the Super Adjustables and this is the exact same type of mechanism that Gillette used on these. Same as the Super Adjustable one should adjust to the desired level of aggressiveness after the blade is loaded and locked in. Based on memory from decades ago I recall my Black Beauty having a wider aggressiveness range than the Razorock Adjust that ranges from mild to moderate. If anyone else has both of these please pipe in.

Finally the TTO butterfly mechanism on the Adjust requires an extra half-turn to lock the blade in just like the Super Adjustable. Given how well the Super Adjustable worked form me during my first few shaving years I'm not surprised that the Razorock Adjust also delivers excellent performance. Glad I grabbed two of these at the $7.99 sale price from Italian Barber. Believe my Black Beauty was $2.99 or $3.99 or between $30-$40 in today's dollars. Only open question will be how well the Razorock Adjust holds up over time. I used the same Black Beauty for roughly 5 years before moving to a Norelco Rotary.

Quick update on my new Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) razor. First is that I've been able to dial it in for BBS shaves without any weepers. The ideal setting for me is a setting of about 3/8" turn to the right from the mildest setting.

I also looked at the mechanism a bit more closely and believe one reason it works so well is because it's very similar to the mechanism used in Gillette's Black Beauty Super Adjustable razors that I began shaving with in my college years. The adjustment mechanism in the Razorock Adjust lifts or lowers four horizontal bars in the razor head underneath the blade (2 on each side) to vary the blade gap. Researched the Super Adjustables and this is the exact same type of mechanism that Gillette used on these. Same as the Super Adjustable one should adjust to the desired level of aggressiveness after the blade is loaded and locked in. Based on memory from decades ago I recall my Black Beauty having a wider aggressiveness range than the Razorock Adjust that ranges from mild to moderate. If anyone else has both of these please pipe in.

Finally the TTO butterfly mechanism on the Adjust requires an extra half-turn to lock the blade in just like the Super Adjustable. Given how well the Super Adjustable worked form me during my first few shaving years I'm not surprised that the Razorock Adjust also delivers excellent performance. Glad I grabbed two of these at the $7.99 sale price from Italian Barber. Believe my Black Beauty was $2.99 or $3.99 or between $30-$40 in today's dollars. Only open question will be how well the Razorock Adjust holds up over time. I used the same Black Beauty for roughly 5 years before moving to a Norelco Rotary.
Very cool. I’ll have to check this one out.

I've resisted Razor Acquisition Disorder for a long time. Reading this thread seduced me:

. . . I just ordered a Pearl Flexi closed-comb.

This is a very dangerous forum to frequent . . . .<G>
Hi, thank you for sharing, the Pearl Flexi looks like a nice razor with a lot of positive reviews. Make sure you were sent a later version of this razor as there were blade alignment issues with the earlier versions per posts from @gpjoe , @ivan_101 and others a year or so back.

Note that the Pearl Flexi adjustables use a very different design than the Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) that is the focus of this thread. The Pearl Flexis are two piece adjustables that, per other posts, has a Gibbs like adjustment mechanism (also similar to the Rex Ambassador).

The the Razorock Adjust is a TTO butterfly razor that uses a similar adjustment mechanism to the those used by Gillette in the 1960's -1980' in razors like the Slim and Black Beauty (Super Adjustable). As result these two razors are not very comparable from a design perspective. Also they have very different price points with the Razorock Adjust selling for between $8-$15 and the Pearl Flexi Adjustable in the $60-$80 range.

Currently the Razorock Adjust and Rockwell T2 are the only two current production razors we are aware of that use the classic Gillette adjustment mechanism noted above. Both appear to be well regarded and shave in a mild to medium aggressiveness range. The Rockwell T2 provides a more premium option in the $100-$150 price range.

P.S. How did this thread on a Razorock Adjust lead you to purchase of the Pearl Flexi? Edit: Just saw your second post regarding your Pearl Flexi where you noted you were now posting in the correct thread. No worries, no it makes sense how your message was posted here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom