What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

I've had a couple of these come through my hands and have both versions. The first example I owned had the rounded teeth, which were also shorter, as is yours. The blade stuck out past the teeth.

Thanks for the info chongo gordo. Some have said that the teeth were filed down, but if that were the case, they did a very good job and then had it re-plated.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bump to add my new Empire case and 1912 OLD Shell razor to this important historical thread.

Razor's serial is C412671.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
R

romsitsa

Hello all,

found this expired auction on the bay. It looks to be a matching set, so my question is, did Gillette use suprpuls ABC handles for pocked editions way after ceasing production of ABC sets, or were cast handles also produced by Gillette?

Vintage Gillette Pocket Edition Safety Razor Beautiful Complete Serial K31413 | eBay

If a B&B member purchased the set above, could you please state wether the case has the patent dates listed?

Another interesting thing is that the silver and gold flower pattern handles are slightly different in Brians topic starting post. The band on the top of the handle is thinner on the gold coated one.

Thanks

Adam

Ad Astra

The Instigator
full

Edit: "Set above" referred to link, not my actual set above, I'm guessing.

AA

Has there been any new progress as to determining when and why
the ABC case bottoms used patent numbers on some and patent
dates on others? Also, I am curious as to if the cases were provided
by Gillette,as blanks to the ABC, and then stamped out as dictated
by production....

Thank you,
Kevin

R

romsitsa

Hello Mike,

yes, I meant the ebay razor, but thank you for posting you set, it's a nice ABC set, interesting, that the razor and case doesn't match. Hope you will find a vesta type blade bank to complete this beauty.

Kevin,

majority (maybe all) of the cases with patent numbers have a G series razor with stumpy locating pins and the majority of the ribbons have a Gillette logo with a line, so my theory is these are manufactured for/by the British company.

Adam

Hello all,

found this expired auction on the bay. It looks to be a matching set, so my question is, did Gillette use suprpuls ABC handles for pocked editions way after ceasing production of ABC sets, or were cast handles also produced by Gillette?

Vintage Gillette Pocket Edition Safety Razor Beautiful Complete Serial K31413 | eBay

If a B&B member purchased the set above, could you please state wether the case has the patent dates listed?

Another interesting thing is that the silver and gold flower pattern handles are slightly different in Brians topic starting post. The band on the top of the handle is thinner on the gold coated one.

Thanks

Adam

Hello everyone! I just joined this site today and cannot wait to go TREASURE HUNTING!

I am a BRAND NEW COLLECTOR of Gillette / ABC Pocket Edition sets. I just purchased my first set and I am so excited. Before taking the plunge, I researched and while searching for Gillette information online, I was lucky to find these "GUIDES to ABC Pocket Edition Sets Part # 1 and # 2".

First, I would like to thank you all so much for such an informative format with GREAT reference photos to help me on my new GILLETTE RAZOR adventure. After reading all of the posts for both GUIDES #1 and #2, I am so much more knowledgeable, but I still have a question.

Adam already asked this question so that is why I replied to it to bring it up again. No one had answered him yet. I have also seen Gillette Pocket Editions with the K****** serial numbers on the Scroll Razors. How can this be as it would be a 1919 dated razor? So ... the same question as Adam ....

... "did Gillette use surplus ABC handles for pocket editions way after ceasing production of ABC sets, or were cast handles also produced by Gillette?"

Does anyone have any explanation about the later 1919 date of a Scroll Razor with the "K" serial number?

Thanks for helping a NEWBIE collector! I look forward to my new hobby.

Happy TREASURE Hunting to ALL!!

Vicki

Hello Forum Members!

This forum seems to be a VERY NICE GENTLEMANLY forum site. I have been reading threads and learning a lot for the last month. Well done guys! I am not sure if there are other LADIES out there ... but ... here goes?!

As a NEWBIE this week on these FORUMS, I thought I would share my first RAZOR PURCHASE link. I just received my first GILLETTE POCKET EDITION SET in the mail and it is SO NICE and I am so excited!

Vintage Gillette Pocket Edition Razor w/ Gold Plated American Button Co. Handle | eBay

My husband and I have collected ANTIQUES for almost 40 years ... since high school. I LOVE displaying "UNIQUE" ITEMS in my DIVERSIFIED ANTIQUE COLLECTION ... but this is my very first RAZOR purchase. I cannot believe how ORNATE and BEAUTIFUL it is! I personally like this GOLD FLORAL case and SCROLL RAZOR HANDLE the best of the POCKET EDITION designs, too! This fits PERFECTLY as my first GILLETTE piece of history for display with my ANTIQUE BOOK COLLECTIONS on my Victorian shelves. I did a lot of research first (via your GREAT THREADS!!) ... THANKS SO MUCH!!! I know I paid a lot in the eBay bid war, but it was worth it to me. The search is now over for a wonderful piece of OLD GILLETTE HISTORY. I bought it off an older Collector of 30 years and I was very happy with the condition as it is DISPLAY READY. I will admire it for many years to come. Unfortunately, it does not have the information on the bottom of the FLORAL case so it is NOT "ABC" case. On the other hand, it does appear to have a HEAVY "SOLID(?)" SCROLL HANDLE even though the serial number is K 347955. Does anyone have any possible explanations for this late of a SN?

As a NEW GILLETTE COLLECTOR, I would welcome both GOOD or BAD comments that anyone is willing to share. I would love to learn more about my very first purcahse. I believe that information from more experienced collectors is the best way to learn as a NEWBIE ...

I am not sure what is PROPER, but I thought that I should also post this in the Double edge NEW ACQUISITIONS and maybe the POCKET EDITION RAZOR thread for more specific advice? All of the threads are still a little confusing for me to navigate ...

Spring Blessings To All,

Vicki

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Hi Vicki, Welcome to B&B!
proxy.php
Yes, there are a few of us (ladies) around. I actually have way more interest in the razors and brushes than my husband. Among my collection are several ABC & Gillette Pocket Editions.
I was hoping someone would answer before now that was more knowledgeable about the Gillette dates than myself. My best guess(es) is that Gillette used an old scroll handle that they still had in inventory or someone at some point replaced the base plate after dropping or breaking it. Neither answer is really convincing to me and you're free to come up with your own best guess. Unless and until someone with a better answer comes along. :biggrin:

Connie,

Great to hear from a fellow gal! Thanks for the welcome and the very nice reply.

I have been hoping for an answer ... but after 5 days and no replies from my original request, I figure NO ONE REALLY KNOWS?

I thought the nice quality photos from the auction may help a seasoned collector figure this set out with some possible scenarios. I am not sure about what blade case should be in there either. The blade case enclosed has no markings except on the lid end. It is engraved with the same thing exact thing that the inside tag says on the FLORAL CASE lid. The SN dates the handle to 1919, but everything I read (everywhere I could look up info online) says the ABC HEAVY SOLID HANDLES were discontinued before 1919 and then the HOLLOW HANDLES came out. Not sure if that is really the factual or not?! That is where other forum member's sets may help to come up with the LATEST POCKET EDITIONS SETS MADE?

Connie, my guess is the same as yours, that Gillette may have used leftover ABC handles and then used them in their Gillette (NOT ABC) sets until they ran out?

Does anyone know when the GILLETTE POCKET EDITIONS were finally discontinued?

If anyone else has any other input or guesses about this set, I would love to hear it.
Maybe others also have 1919 GILLETTE POCKET EDITION with the ABC HANDLES, as well?
I am just curious on why such a late date on this set and maybe others may run across them, too.

Thanks again,

Vicki

The alignment pins are also of the regular OLD type length and shape, not the short rounded ones of an ABC.

The handle is the only ABC part that I see.

s-l1600.jpg

• Production probably ceased ca. 1914-15.
American Button Co Pocket Editions

Thanks so very much TobyC!

That is exactly what I needed to know.

I am sorry that I already asked you this elsewhere, but it should probably really be in this THREAD:

Now let me see if I understand you correctly since I am new to razors: You think that it is a 1919 GILLETTE Pocket Edition case that someone put an ABC Handle in ... BUT ... the BASEPLATE is NOT the original baseplate for the ABC handle, but could have been for the 1919 GILLETTE?

If that is what you are saying: Were the NEWER screw on baseplates AFTER the ABC handles interchangeable then? It sure does seem to fit perfectly and match as far as the gold plating and aged patina of the set.

"I still LOVE this set, as it is a beautiful piece of art ... and a snapshot of history of a bygone era."

One last question TobyC: Do you know how long the "GILLETTE" POCKET EDITIONS were actually made?

Blessings,

Vicki

I answered in the other thread, but I'll put it here.

I think the whole set is correct original except for the handle which is interchangeable with the ball-end handle.

The American Button Company factory burned in 1917, and was never rebuilt, but already manufactured handles would have been used until they were gone. I have no idea when the last one may have been assembled.

I'm no expert on the ABC razors, others may have better information. There are no factory records available, so what information exists comes from known examples of these razors.

I believe the American Button Company factory burned down in 1917.

Toby,

I am sorry to pick your brain, but you seem to really know these Pocket Editions sets: After GILLETTE contracted out to ABC, didn't GILLETTE continue making the POCKET EDITION SETS after the ABC FIRE?

In your post #272 above you said that you thought it was a 1919 GILLETTE POCKET EDITION SET.

Do you know how long GILLETTE continued to make the POCKET EDITION SETS? This could still be an actual GILLETTE POCKET EDITION, with just the ABC handle? Is that correct? Was Gillette still making these "NON-ABC" sets in 1919?

I am just a NEWBIE trying to learn more about my first "RAZOR SPLURGE"?! :001_smile

Thanks again for your time.

Blessings,

Vicki

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Okay, let me add to your confusion and Toby's.

I have this Gillette Pocket Edition. The pristine condition of this set convinces me that all of it's pieces are original to the set. So either Gillette made ABC type handles or used ABC handles on their own sets.

Gillette Floral Set 4.jpg

Gillette Foral Set 4.jpg
Gillette Floral Set 3.jpg

Vicki, to your question about how long Gillette made...
This set contains a Gillette Ball End New from around 1930 so... :confused1

Scandinavia Belting Co. .jpg
Scandinavian Case Interior 2.jpg

Toby,

I am sorry to pick your brain, but you seem to really know these Pocket Editions sets: After GILLETTE contracted out to ABC, didn't GILLETTE continue making the POCKET EDITION SETS after the ABC FIRE?

In your post #272 above you said that you thought it was a 1919 GILLETTE POCKET EDITION SET.

Do you know how long GILLETTE continued to make the POCKET EDITION SETS? This could still be an actual GILLETTE POCKET EDITION, with just the ABC handle? Is that correct? Was Gillette still making these "NON-ABC" sets in 1919?

I am just a NEWBIE trying to learn more about my first "RAZOR SPLURGE"?! :001_smile

Thanks again for your time.

Blessings,

Vicki

They made Pocket editions at least into 1921, but with the ball end handle.

1921 Pocket Edition No501.jpg

1920s Pocket Edition No501-B.jpg

Top Bottom