What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas (2013 Edition)

It's back... :biggrin1: In the fabled words of the great and mighty mikeschu:

By popular request....

The holiday season is a ways away but is coming over the horizon. Soon it will be time to think about holiday parties, holiday travel, and what gifts to get the SWMBO and kids (if you have them). All of this will likely cost money.

From discussions with a few people on the board, perhaps it would be a good idea to bond together and help each other out to potentially avoid the troubles with overspending, credit cards, and having a general lack of cash for the holiday season. It should also prevent a few disagreements with the SWMBO about how much you're spending on "this hobby" right near the holidays... especially when you have 14 razors, 62 soaps and creams, 19 brushes and enough blades to see the century out. :lol:

Therefore I would like to propose, for those members interested, a period of Gentlemanly Restraint. A pledge, if you will.

We had a lot of fun last year with this so I thought I'd get it started again. I'll be pushing back the start date just a few days this year to allow for participants to join in on the fun. This will make the restraint period 3 months. Now for some house keeping.

THE RULES:
  1. Gentlemanly Restraint starts at 12:00:01am on September 24th.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint ends at 11:59:59pm on December 24th.
  3. Start and end time are based on your local time zone. I shouldn't have to say this, but no fudging time zones to gain an advantage.
  4. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, though you can avoid other purchases as well. I would highly highly recommend that you stay away from The Nib if you plan to avoid other purchases. :lol:
  5. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you have enough stuff to see out about 3 months of shaving.
  6. There are three exceptions to the purchasing of items (see rule #5):

• ​B&B Group Buys or B&B Branded Items, because some are limited edition and all are good deals. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify.
  • One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of Gentlemanly Restraint. It has to be relatively specific; no blanket statements qualify (e.g. "a razor or a brush" is too vague"). Use your best judgement here.
  • Sue Moore Auction Items. This is a great cause and we should all try to participate in it if possible.

There are no prizes for making or breaking the pledge, but it's a matter of keeping your word and making a commitment. If nothing else your wallet will be better off.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
If you're interested (or forced to be on sabbatical :001_tt2:), reply here and let us know. With your post, please let us know what your one exception item will be. I will maintain a list of the entrants throughout the restraint period. We'll use this thread to help each other out like the other restraint threads. Feel free to chat here about your great shaves, post pics of your pre- and post-restraint purchases, pics of what dropped you out of restraint if you don't make it, encourage each other to continue on to the end. IF YOU FAIL THE RESTRAINT BY PURCHASING AN ITEM PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PURCHASED HERE IN THE THREAD! On occasion we'll also ask for a checkin to ensure we haven't lost anyone. If you don't answer I'll mark you DNF (did not finish) until we get an update.

THE LIST:
I'll be maintaining 3 links in my signature line throughout the restraint period. A link to the main thread, a link to the list of participants who made it in before the restraint period started, and a link to the most up to date list of who's still in. They'll be the last 3 links in my sig line. I thought this would be a handy way to get everyone to the lists quickly without having to repost it every few pages so we remember who's in.

So, who's in this year for a little Gentlemanly Restraint??

Last edited:
The list of participants:

NOTE: "no item" means the participant is not taking the one-item exception.

Last edited:
I'm in with my only exception being a toggle. I'm actually continuing this into the sabbatical. If I don't have the toggle by the sabbatical then no toggle for me! I have purchased enough stuff to last me two years(probably 5-7 if I had more blades) in the past couple months. I'm good to go.

Yeah, I'm in! Time to go into training for the 2014 Shave Purchase Sabbatical :yesnod:

I may have to snag some of the ABCBA that Italian Barber is going to private label....

Last edited:
Sounds good Clint. Just to check though, you're planning to purchase the toggle prior to the restraint period starting? Or you're saying you want to have one by Christmas? Just want to clarify so that I know what to put down for your exception.

I'm hoping to have it before the restraint starts but there's a decent chance I won't.
Sounds good. I'll leave it as your exception item for now then.

Gents, if you decide to change your exception item for any reason just let me know. I wouldn't say they're locked in until the restraint period starts.

This sounds much easier (but still no less crazy) than a year long sabbatical.

I desperately want to buy a slant, plus a couple more soaps (Tabac & Cella). To be honest, I have a drawer full of blades (enough to last at least 12 months), and approximately 10 soaps and creams. I should be able to last until at least christmas.

But I really want to buy something.

Ok. I'm in. I will buy what I "have" to buy before we start.

Once it's on, NO EXCEPTIONS/ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR ME.

Guess I'm in. I'm already part of the 2013 sabbatical. If I can make it 9 months, the last 3 should be a breeze.

Top Bottom