What's new

General Cycling Questions

I want to convert my old bike to a single speed since the gears/shifters etc are shot. Any advice on doing this? Where to get a kit? Which one? And any other information I'll need to know?

Thanks!!

First thing you need to do is look at the rear drop outs you need ones that have some room to move the wheel back and forth, not the ones that go straight up and down. If you have the newer straight up and down kind, just give up, trust me.

List of questions you need to anwser (kind of in order)
Why am I doing this?
What Kind Of Drop Outs Do I Have?
Is My Cassette Splined, or Screw on? If Splined Campy, or Shrimano, or SRAM?
Whats my chain line, can I make it straight?
Gearing?

any other track bike riders out there?

I am going to ride today. No testing your advice out today though I will have my 2yr old with me and I will be on my fitness bike, not on the road. Hopefullly I can get a good ride in tomorrow. My husband is off and he can hang with the kiddos.

Wendy, how are you liking your road bike compared to your hybrid?

What a night and day difference. I am struggling a bit with the reach. I think it has more to do with my shoulder surgeries. My right shoulder is anchored down. Whatever that means :confused1. My left which I though was a bit better is apparently just as bad. 14 cross stitches to hold the rotator cuff itself intact, 3 of the 4 tendons were torn and reattaching the Labrum to the bone, not to mention the biceps being torn on both sides. I think after a few more rides I need to make some more adjustments and I will be good to go to go. I am not confident enough to ride on pavement that has gravel and stones that you can not see with a car flying by.

I have been riding the fitness bike more in the am since it is pitch black out and I do not mind trailering it to the trail. I refuse to put my Bianchi on a rack so I have to ride from the house on the road in rush hour on winding hills. I love the ride a lot better on the road but the streets are in bad shape and I can not see a darn thing, not to mention I get way to cold at 5:45am. A few days ago my brother picked me up and we trailered our bikes. I got so darn cold when we got back to the car I thought I had a hold of my bike and dropped it, my hands were so numb. :cursing:

I now can appreciate the price increase for good components. I am real happy I bucked up the extra money on my bike for better components. My hubby's bike is the exact same but different components and boy it sure makes a heck of a difference.

I now can appreciate the price increase for good components. I am real happy I bucked up the extra money on my bike for better components. My hubby's bike is the exact same but different components and boy it sure makes a heck of a difference.

It makes a huge difference in shifting, especially when climbing and having to switch gears.

Okay gents, what am I doing wrong? I keep locking up my gears. I am not sure if I am just doing something wrong or just trying to shift between small and large ring way too fast. I have locked up my bike going uphill 3 times this week. Maybe I am trigger happy.

Okay gents, what am I doing wrong? I keep locking up my gears. I am not sure if I am just doing something wrong or just trying to shift between small and large ring way too fast. I have locked up my bike going uphill 3 times this week. Maybe I am trigger happy.

can you discribe what you mean by "locking up" is it not shifting, is the chain jumping or jaming? and give me a quick rundown of the componates and how old they are.

1st step is allways clean every thing and re oil, see it that works.

can you discribe what you mean by "locking up" is it not shifting, is the chain jumping or jaming? and give me a quick rundown of the componates and how old they are.

1st step is allways clean every thing and re oil, see it that works.

Here is the bike:

Model Road "C2C" VIA NIRONE 7 Alu Carbon Veloce Mix 10sp Compact
Code Y9B31
Color Celeste w/ Black
Sizes 55
Frame VIA NIRONE 7 ALU/CARBON
Fork Bianchi K-VID Carbon w/alu steerer - 1-1/8"
Headset FSA ZS4-CUSTOM
Shifters Campagnolo VELOCE
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo VELOCE
Front Derailleur Campagnolo MIRAGE
Crankset FSA GOSSAMER MegaExo Compact 50/34
Chain KMC DX10SC
Sprocket Campagnolo VELOCE 10sp 12/25
Brakes Campagnolo VELOCE
Brake Lever integrated
Rear Hub FAC Michelin RACING 28H
Front Hub FAC Michelin RACING 28H

The chain is jamming, will not shift. Day before yesterday I was trying to shift gears and the chain came off after it locked up on me. I bought this brand new in December. I had it sitting for a couple months until I healed from surgery. I just started riding it regularly a few weeks ago. I am not riding everyday some days my shoulders will not allow me too but when I do ride I am riding 18-20 a day. So very minimal miles on bike. Less than 400. Does this maybe just need fine tuned?

its jamming in the rear right? sounds like you need a deraliur load adjustment.

check the cabel tension (it should not be sagging or super tight) and if its good you will see two screws on your derilier they will either be marked with an "H" and "L" or "+" and "-" they are the load screws and fine tune exactly how far the arm swings, the H/+ being the upper limit and the L/- being the lower.

Read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html and this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

You can do it your self or take it to a reliable bike shop.

check the cabel tension (it should not be sagging or super tight) and if its good you will see two screws on your derilier they will either be marked with an "H" and "L" or "+" and "-" they are the load screws and fine tune exactly how far the arm swings, the H/+ being the upper limit and the L/- being the lower.

Read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html and this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Heck I will take it in. That was the last requirement I had for the owner of the shop I bought it from, that deal got him 2 bike sales that day. :wink2: Thanks for the links. I will at least educated myself.

Heck I will take it in. That was the last requirement I had for the owner of the shop I bought it from, that deal got him 2 bike sales that day. :wink2: Thanks for the links. I will at least educated myself.

Since your bike is so new, it may still have a warranty, etc. My LBS offers free tune ups for a year.

Good points. :thumbup:

Also, you have to know what gear is going to be even get to the climb. It's like before any race I would take a tour of the terrain to know where I plan on being and at what speed. 12-25 cassette are the all around mix and is meant for some pretty good climbing so if you hit your climb at too low of cadence you are going to have problems of the chain slipping to far or even getting caught.

If your cadence is too high or too low you are going to have problems. Practice standing for a few strokes to get your cadence to where it needs to be before shifting. Also shift on the cassette first before going down from your big ring to your small ring.

Top Bottom