What's new

General Cycling Questions

Thanks for the info. I am making that a goal for this spring/summer.

That's a great goal. You've probably seen this, but, if not, here's a link to Bicycling Mag's 10 week century prep:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-443-19050-1,00.html

The same month I got my first mountain bike, I also read their Bicycling's annual century ride article - and how to do it on a mountain bike. That was in April. In August I rode my first metric century and in September I rode my first full century. The feeling of accomplishment is incredible.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted...

That's a great goal. You've probably seen this, but, if not, here's a link to Bicycling Mag's 10 week century prep:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-443-19050-1,00.html

The same month I got my first mountain bike, I also read their Bicycling's annual century ride article - and how to do it on a mountain bike. That was in April. In August I rode my first metric century and in September I rode my first full century. The feeling of accomplishment is incredible.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted...

Way to go, I have yet to ride a century. Just haven't had time to put into the longer rides, but that is still a goal of mine. So far, 70miles is my longest ride.

Way to go, I have yet to ride a century. Just haven't had time to put into the longer rides, but that is still a goal of mine. So far, 70miles is my longest ride.

I've never done an organized century ride or a group 100 mile ride, but I did a 100 mile ride by myself last summer. I paced myself, it honestly wasn't that hard, but the amount of boredom you feel being on the bike that long and your back, it's a real pain. It's probably something I'll do once, maybe twice a season just to make sure I can do it, but unless I attempt an Ironman or something one day I doubt I'll ever do them with any regularity.

Would it be a good idea for someone to form a cycling social group? I don't know if groups have to be shaving-centric or not, but it might be easier than navigating this now-giant thread.

Just a thought,
-N.

427, er, now 428 cycling posts to one thread about dogs, cars, pedals, road & mtb, and more - just might be time. I suppose the Internet has bigger and better forums for pure cycling, but it's pretty cool so many shaving crazy folks are also bike crazy.

You chaps needn't worry about the leg shaving. You don't need to shave your legs to go for a bike ride. Full stop. Nor do you need to wear strange, form fitting clothes, bizarre styrofoam headgear or shoes that attach to the pedals.

However, if you get to the point of racing, you will shave your legs, and you won't question it either. It's an important distinction between racers and casual riders. If you meet a casual rider with shaved legs, chances are he used to race. Nobody worth their salt in road racing has hairy legs.

Thanks! The jump from 70 miles (the actual distance for my 1st metric century) and the 103 miles of my first century was not that great. The key is to eat and drink regularly and ride within yourself - don't try to keep up with a faster group or a friend who's in better shape. Above all - have fun!

In the 19+ centuries and two 12 hour solo races I've ridden, I have experienced almost everything from total exhaustion to ecstasy - but I have never been bored on the bike - way too much great scenery to enjoy.

Of course, I never get tired of the glassy eyed look people get when they learn you rode 100 miles (or so) on a bike in one day. Their eyes glaze over and they mumble something weak like, "That's crazy."

Here are links to a couple of my favorites:

http://www.shastasummitcentury.com/

http://www.deathride.com/

Great views, extremely well supported, and experiences you will not forget.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
WOW. I wish I could do that. I could visit family at both ends. What fun. Although I would not be able to walk, or move for that matter.

... and thus need to be waited on hand and foot. :wink2:

Do aerobars really make that much of a difference? And if so, can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive set?

They do if you are racing in a TT. I wouldn't take them on a group ride though. To use them effectively, you put the saddle up and forward, and preferably use a saddle with a soft nose, as you'll be perched on the tip of it. If you just clip them on and use your regular position they could do more harm than good- you won't be able to breathe properly. You have to basically rotate your position forward around the axis of the bottom bracket. It makes the use of other position on the bike much less comfortable, and compromises handling somewhat.

I use these- cheap, very adjustable and weight comparable to most: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outland-Clip-...bikeparts_SR?hash=item3ca9d28988#ht_630wt_941

Because changing it all over was such a palaver every Thursday for our clubs evening TT's, I'm going to do all my TT's on a fixed this year- very traditional in UK time trialling, and will probably make it better training for the road races that are my real objective.

I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm starting to ride far enough where my two water bottles won't cut it. There is only one spot on the trail I ride to fill up and it's very near the beginning. Any recommendations on ways to carry more water on a road bike besides to the two slots for water bottles?

There are drinking fountains on the Monon trail if memory serves, you could plan your route accordingly to take advantage of these...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I took my bike in to the bike shop today for its annual pre-season lube & tune up ... cycling season is not that far away ... anticipation builds ... :laugh:

Heck I guess I should just be happy the 2 times a week someone else unloads the dishwasher huh? :blink:

:001_rolle Is the glass half full or the dishwasher half empty?

Top Bottom